• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Announces English Dub for Love Chunibyo & Other Delusions!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lusbox

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:58 pm Reply with quote
First season was great, second went steadily downhill towards the end.

Was fun while it lasted, not that I'd want to watch the dub anyway, but good news for those that do.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, the show has a much better chance of me buying it now that there will be a bilingual version. I foresee lots of opportunity to have fun with this dub.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:08 pm Reply with quote
so hurray they are going it in later this year so subs first then later year dub already set?
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:26 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
The Coffee God wrote:

Yeah, that's one of the things that irked the hell out of me with FUNi and their Is this a Zombie? Of the Dead subs.

They took a complicated concept like Chunibyo and translated it to the simplistic phrase of "self conscious boy".

In this regard, I do hope Sentai just leaves it as is, untranslated as Chunibyo.

It seems all over the place what the translators attempt to localize it as. Inari Kon Kon used "dramatic teenager". Not FUNi, but the translation for Seitokai Yakuindomo used "goth" and "childish fantasies" in the same episode.

I haven't seen either of those, but that just solidifies my belief that complicated concepts shouldn't be translated to an English quasi-equivalent.
jree78

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:19 pm Reply with quote
ColonelYao47 wrote:
I'll be frank. I haven't checked on the QC of Sentai releases since the Kids on the Slope debacle. Is it safe to buy their releases now? Especially now that they're entering the premium edition market...

A lot of the newer stuff like Nyan koi is hilarious I still need to buy it, Upotte is pretty good, let's just say dubs not by Foster are pretty good in my personal opinion. The director of Upotte is new blood I think he did pretty good. Have seen a lot of dubs at Anime at the Alamo.
jree78

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:26 pm Reply with quote
The Coffee God wrote:
EmperorBrandon wrote:
The Coffee God wrote:

Yeah, that's one of the things that irked the hell out of me with FUNi and their Is this a Zombie? Of the Dead subs.

They took a complicated concept like Chunibyo and translated it to the simplistic phrase of "self conscious boy".

In this regard, I do hope Sentai just leaves it as is, untranslated as Chunibyo.

It seems all over the place what the translators attempt to localize it as. Inari Kon Kon used "dramatic teenager". Not FUNi, but the translation for Seitokai Yakuindomo used "goth" and "childish fantasies" in the same episode.

I haven't seen either of those, but that just solidifies my belief that complicated concepts shouldn't be translated to an English quasi-equivalent.

Why wouldn't "daydreamer" work? It's essentially what it is, isn't it?
bs3311

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:21 pm Reply with quote
"Oh THANK YOU LORDA! PRAISE JESUS!!!!"
- Eric Cartman

All I can say except for a long summary of my view Laughing

This was a surprise to me. I was going to gladley accept pre-ordering the sub BD. Until this came along. Finally a premium edition. But since this is Sentai's first, I'm expecting a box like the Gatchaman DVD or BD complete sets with sturdy yet not chipboard. Nothing jaw dropping like Aniplex.

But I was not a HUGE fan of the music, so I don't know what to imagine the extras will be. Will we actually get on disc extras of actors behind the booth? Commentaries!? Or a cosplay Rika Eyepatch like the Haruhi Head/Arm band that came with the
LE!!!!??? Who knows. But I wish for the first two theories!

I hope the ADR main director is Steven Foster working with Leraldo Anzaldua alongside as side director like the Nyankoi dub. Even Foster did Btoom and that dub was surprisingly good IMO.

jree78 wrote:
A lot of the newer stuff like Nyan koi is hilarious I still need to buy it, Upotte is pretty good, let's just say dubs not by Foster are pretty good in my personal opinion.

You refering to the show or the dub? Cause Steven directed that.

For cast, I suppose:

YUTA - Black Shepard, Josh Grelle, Clint Bickham, or new blood Connor Leech as Yuta.

MAKOTO - Chris Ayres or Greg, or if we can try another new one. How about Connor Leech again? Anime hyper

NIBUTANI - Jessica Boone, Maggie Flecknoe, or Lesely Pederson.

RIKA - Hilary Hagg, Monica rial, Meg Mcdonald, Molly Searcy, or maybe Jessica Callvelo. That, "Kitty Ears in Gymshorts....!" line was pretty cute lol.

TOKA - Kara Greenberg, Shelly Callene Black, Kendall McClellan, or Brittney Deans since she is not so uptight and happy. Making her use her accent less.

DEKOMORI - Jessica Boone (10 year old voice), Meaghan Avacato (female persona from MM! but higher pitch), Monica Rial, or maybe Tia Ballard again, But the biggest choice is to choose SERENA VARGHESE!!!! Where the hell is she? she is a wonderul indian actress with not only a distinct tone, but has the voice talent to be a loli sister, a highschooler, or a grown women.

If I'am to trust wikipedia or a Twitter acount, she is supposedly in L.A. Bummer. I will still scream your name out to the world in possitive sponsor! Crying or Very sad

KUMIN - Carli Mosier but pitchier, Luci Christian, Maggie Flecknoe unless she wants to try a higher pitched tone, Jessica Callvelo, or Nancey Novotny.

NANASE - Kaytha Coker, Cynthia Martinez, or somebody new with a well feminine adult voice.

This is just my two cents. If you excuse me for the night, I'm beat trying to put up this cast list. If anyone knows a link to the official show thread, then I'll paste there and remove this XP
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:34 pm Reply with quote
A 180 suitable for a terrible company like Sentai. I swear to Christ these guys are like the enemy of English dubbing. Whenever a show I like get picked up by them I always die a little on the inside thinking about the quality made English dub that could have been.

I still pray that one day Penguindrum will get that Funimation dub it deserves.
Melicans

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:35 pm Reply with quote
So I bought the Blu-ray as Crunchyroll's Daily Deal back in March, and given the way CR do things the payment has already gone through. So if the BR has been cancelled, presumably CR will refund it? Or switch it to the BR that includes the dub whenever that comes out? Not quite sure how they'll handle it.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:52 pm Reply with quote
The Coffee God wrote:

Complicated?! This concept isn't exactly rocket science. We had Eric Cartman explaining this concept to us over a decade ago in South Park (Good Times with Weapons), for crying out loud. There's a word for people who put even the simplest things on a pedestal simply because those things are Japanese and you're getting dangerously close to being one of them.
Raebo101 wrote:
I vote Hilary Haag as either Rikka or Sanae!
I dunno about that, Haag was one of my favorite ADV actresses but she's lacked zazz in many of her Sentai roles that I've heard. She's actually been my greatest impediment in seeing the Mardock Scramble films, which I bought largely because she was the lead. Irony.
normajean19 wrote:
hope Sentai gets someone other than Christopher Ayres to direct and script the dub.
Gotta agree as Chris Ayres has an odd approach to dubbing.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Hey I wanted to check this show out now I have more incentive.
TnKtRk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:00 am Reply with quote
Can't wait for that Paul Champagne metal artbox. That's gonna look sweet.
Bablioteca

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:13 am Reply with quote
People talk a lot about voice actors, but really for me, I'm hoping this is an opportunity for the script writer to really land a home run. The show lends itself well to an adaption.
MarthKoopa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:25 am Reply with quote
Bablioteca wrote:
People talk a lot about voice actors, but really for me, I'm hoping this is an opportunity for the script writer to really land a home run. The show lends itself well to an adaption.

Sentai/Seraphim has script writers?

They always just read the subtitles and make a few minor changes in areas where needed.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:31 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
A 180 suitable for a terrible company like Sentai. I swear to Christ these guys are like the enemy of English dubbing. Whenever a show I like get picked up by them I always die a little on the inside thinking about the quality made English dub that could have been.

I still pray that one day Penguindrum will get that Funimation dub it deserves.

This made me vomit a little bit in my mouth. A horribly cast dub, most likely with not only Japanese words mispronounced, but even simple English terms like those in Shiki. Ironically, Shiki is the only semi-recent Funimation dub I've heard that didn't seem like it was cast by tossing darts at a board. It would have been nice if they could have taken the time to research how to pronounce medical terms instead of just winging it. But regardless, as long as Gen Fukunaga owns Funimation, I won't be buying or supporting any of their products.

But personal opinions don't really matter. For every dub one person loves, another 10 people hate it. That's just the way it works. Even the most vile dubs have their own fans too. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

FYI, Funimation has only ever completely redubbed one series besides One Piece, and that was only because their were dubbing the final season in house. Every other license rescue they've picked up has been released with the original dub, no matter what the quality of that dub was. Even if they did manage to get ahold of Penguindrum, or any other Sentai show for that matter, the chances of it getting dubbed would be virtually ZERO. R1 companies don't redub these days unless they have absolutely no choice, like Sentai redubbing Grave of the Fireflies so it could have an HD audio track. But in that case, they also included the original dub (just not in DTS-HD.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6