• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Burnout Paradise

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Burn out I think is something anyone who is a fan of Anime goes through at least once or twice if they're a heavy consumer of it, that being said sometimes I think it is the people who like the identity of being an Anime fan more than Anime itself that often times contributes to it.

I know the toxic culture that sometimes exists in forums is one of the reasons I don't hang out on forums as much as I once did, and it's depressing that some people feel a need to belittle others because of there tastes in Anime.

But it can also be just as hard having to deal with real life fans as well especially (for me since I live in a smaller community) the obnoxiously up front ones who want to know the ins and outs of what you like and why or feel that because they like this there “better” or more refined I've had people say things like “One Piece insults my intelligence” or grill me on why I don't go to conventions when I've simply said I don't like them.

As far as how to get out of burn out best advice is remember what you liked when you first got into Anime or watch less I have a list of shows that I like and I always remember something from them and that helps revitalize my sometimes flagging love for Anime.

As far as people going after “casuals” that is a shame and any sensible fan should do there part to stand up to that elitist nerd version of “jock culture” as it's frankly disgusting.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:40 pm Reply with quote
In the last post that I made on this thread, I was thinking of making some more commentary on the "true fan" aspect that was touched on towards the end of the podcast (partly because my twitter question helped instigate the portion of the overall discussion), but then decided to save it for later since my post was already getting longer than I intended it to be. Better act fast on that commentary, then, before this thread's shelf life wears thin.

Alright, so when I asked the question of "How do you prioritize seeing "quality" VS mediocre/so-bad-its-good anime? Does a 'good' fan need to watch alot of both?," I definitely got a extended answer that I wasn't expecting.... and one with more NSFW language than I bargained for, at that! In sum, then, I am to not let the people that see themselves as "true fans" dictate how much I must watch or how much I must invest to be considered an anime fan? And don't invest so much of your identity in being an anime fan, basically? Nice answers!

And yet... I think I might've missed communicating something when I asked that question. Even if I didn't overlook it, I don't think one tweet would've had the capacity to convey that "something." Basically, I feel that some of this angst over being a "good" anime fan has not come from so-called "true fans" outright belittling others-- I don't think I've expereinced any personal put-downs for not having completed several hundred anime. Rather, I think some of this angst (at least in my case) has come from an inferred subliminal messaging produced by fans that don't seem particularly interested in increasing their own e-peen. Said messaging has been conveyed to me by others' anime lists (like in their lists on ANN or MyAnimeList) and even people that I follow over social media that regularly tweet about stuff they're watching. Some of those people are experienced critics, and I see them discussing what they're watching or announcing that they're watching a dumb show/movie over blip TV or something. (I guess that's what inspired the "How do you prioritize seeing 'quality' VS mediocre/so-bad-its-good anime" part of the question). Again this is messaging I've only inferred, and the people simply making comments on what they're watching may not mean much of anything by it.

Now, perhaps the most logical answer would consist of: "Be your own individual! Formulate your own interests and goals! Didn't I already tell you to not put so much stock in trying to be a 'good' anime fan?" Yet reading and hearing about all this media that others are consuming.... it gets awfully overwhelming and I feel somewhat inferior for it, especially since I've recently begun considering (and yet haven't followed through on) writing as a blogger-critic. I believe I've indicated as much in a thread I created, and while it's definitely offered many alternate ways of thinking to approaching anime (some of which quite resonated with me!), my bonds to the "subliminal messaging" of others haven't completely broken yet. I dunno if there's really anything that anyone but myself, God, and maybe a therapist can do to finally quell this depressive feeling... but still, it's an issue that I think is at least worth bringing up and acknowledging.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:57 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
OK, about that last part: if you get out of anime because of the fans on the forums, you are a pussy. This goes for any club. If you quit because of the other fans, you are a pussy. Man/Woman.

I honestly have to agree with this.

Part of being a fan of a wide medium like anime is dealing with people who don't like what you like and sometimes things get heated. Not that we should be arguing all the time but...honestly.

Fandom can be brutal, but that's just the way it is.

Last edited by Chagen46 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
OK, about that last part: if you get out of anime because of the fans on the forums, you are a pussy. This goes for any club. If you quit because of the other fans, you are a pussy. Man/Woman.

I honestly have to agree with this.

Part of being a fan of a wide medium like anime is dealing with people who don't like what you like and sometimes things get heated. Not that we should be arguing all the time but...honestly.

Fandom can be brutal, but that's just the way it is.

MAN YOU GUYS ARE SUCH BADASSES

TELL US MORE ABOUT THE "RIGHT" WAY TO FEEL ABOUT VERBAL ABUSE
jsc315

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:12 pm Reply with quote
about 3-4 years ago I was in a complete burnout in all anime. I just could not enjoy anything I was watching at all. It took me over a year to even get back into enjoy it again. I now watch about 2 maybe 3 new shows a season at most and often will watch thinks in blocks as its more digestible for me that way. This was a great and informative episode, thanks Zac and Bamboo!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Leebo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to listening to this. I go in burnout cycles between anime and video games.
ActionJacksin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

MAN YOU GUYS ARE SUCH BADASSES

TELL US MORE ABOUT THE "RIGHT" WAY TO FEEL ABOUT VERBAL ABUSE

You stop letting whatever a belligerent "fan" says and move on with your life? It's not hard. I've had random asshats on the internet chide at my tastes and I'm steamed about it for maybe a minute, and then I move on.

Also, I find it funny Bamboo compares angry snobby fans to violent baseball fanatics, then challenges said snobs to a fight.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:25 pm Reply with quote
ActionJacksin wrote:

You stop letting whatever a belligerent "fan" says and move on with your life? It's not hard. I've had random asshats on the internet chide at my tastes and I'm steamed about it for maybe a minute, and then I move on.

Also, I find it funny Bamboo compares angry snobby fans to violent baseball fanatics, then challenges said snobs to a fight.

Call me when you've had people take photos of the front door of your apartment and email them to you accompanied with a death threat because you disagreed with them and their internet lynch mob over a cartoon show.

Then you can tell me how I should or shouldn't respond to hyperactive internet fan hatred, because then you may have actually had experience that mirrors my own dealing with how absolutely hideous and toxic these people can be. You don't have any idea how bad it can get because nobody's ever come at you like that.

The people I ignore completely are folks like you who think they have any business telling someone else how to deal with verbal abuse and bullying at all. Everyone's response is different and people will deal with it in the way that suits them best. For some, "all of these people are abusive, petty, violently angry dickwads and it isn't worth being in this 'fandom' with them, I'm walking away" is a perfectly valid response.

So yeah, spare me your internet tough guy routine.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:43 pm Reply with quote
There is a reason why I stopped letting my name get out there, and the idea that someone could harm you for your opinions online horrifies me. I don't know what I would do if I had some of the crap thrown at me that Zac and JO have to deal with.

At the end of the day certain people put their entire identity around anime/animation, and when someone talks about how some series isn't that good the person reacts violently.
_V_

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:50 pm Reply with quote
"Burnout" is just the old adage that 90% of everything is crap, and once you've "caught up" on all the classics, you have to wait for the next good thing to come out. And sometimes, there's just two or three "off seasons" in a row. Particularly with regular TV, the whole 2007-2010 period was godawful.

What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder and stronger.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:15 pm Reply with quote
ActionJacksin wrote:

I find it funny that you apparently think Bamboo was seriously challenging people to a fight.
ProsesRoses

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:15 pm Reply with quote
This true fan thing is just crap and so immaturely clique-ish.
To compare to another fandom of a medium; In the book community, there is an acknowledged term we use for burnout - "reading slump."
Everybody knows about it and experiences it a few to many times, yet its also acknowledged that YOU ARE NOT LESS OF A FAN OF books/reading because you are going through a reading slump. Instead of accusing people of not being fans, we make videos or articles about how to get out of reading slumps or I dunno, give ourselves A BREAK - it happens to casual readers, bloggers, booksellers and reviewers, etc - it happens to every book lover, regardless of what kind of reader or literary profession they have.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Even as a One Piece fan, I was extremely let down by Strong World. Nami getting kidnapped at the start just made me roll my eyes. Really? Couldn't come up with any better? And I may be mistaken, but doesn't It's probably one of my least favorite of the One Piece movies I have seen. And Film Z wasn't much better if at all.

I wouldn't say it's my least favorite but after all the hype I was also let down by Strong World. All I remember is thinking the bird character was really cute and I liked the clothing designs. The plot was meh.

That being said I did enjoy Film Z a lot more. It could be because I saw it in a theater in Japan and that experience might have added to my appreciation of the movie.

And as someone else said we really need movie 6 over here. I mean come on its directed by Mamoru Hosoda. Funi released 2 of his other films, they have One Piece. It seems like a foregone conclusion.
ActionJacksin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Call me when you've had people take photos of the front door of your apartment and email them to you accompanied with a death threat because you disagreed with them and their internet lynch mob over a cartoon show.

Then you can tell me how I should or shouldn't respond to hyperactive internet fan hatred, because then you may have actually had experience that mirrors my own dealing with how absolutely hideous and toxic these people can be. You don't have any idea how bad it can get because nobody's ever come at you like that.

The people I ignore completely are folks like you who think they have any business telling someone else how to deal with verbal abuse and bullying at all. Everyone's response is different and people will deal with it in the way that suits them best. For some, "all of these people are abusive, petty, violently angry dickwads and it isn't worth being in this 'fandom' with them, I'm walking away" is a perfectly valid response.

So yeah, spare me your internet tough guy routine.

Jesus Christ Zac, I wasn't trying to dredge up PTSD over your experiences. I'm just offering my own two cents over the fan reaction thing as coming from my experience as a "fan", not someone who writes about this stuff with my name out there. I'm sorry that you've faced actual danger from fan disagreement, but I was coming from stand point of "fan burn out coming from fan reactions".

Since I've had nowhere near the off kilter experiences of fan outrage, my two cents can only be informed by what I know from other fans' reactions. I wasn't trying to be some "internet tough guy".
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:41 pm Reply with quote
ActionJacksin wrote:

Jesus Christ Zac, I wasn't trying to dredge up PTSD over your experiences. I'm just offering my own two cents over the fan reaction thing as coming from my experience as a "fan", not someone who writes about this stuff with my name out there. I'm sorry that you've faced actual danger from fan disagreement, but I was coming from stand point of "fan burn out coming from fan reactions".

Since I've had nowhere near the off kilter experiences of fan outrage, my two cents can only be informed by what I know from other fans' reactions. I wasn't trying to be some "internet tough guy".

And it reads like "suck it up and move on, don't let anyone bother you ever" which is about as unhelpful and unempathetic as you can get.

I'm not saying fly into a hysterical rage every time someone calls you an idiot for liking one show or another, but let's not downplay how belligerent and nasty fans can be to one another, and over time that level of rancor takes its toll and can very much lead to really nasty burnout.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9