• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2005-10-14]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:10 pm Reply with quote
lazuline wrote:

You guys need to go back to page 2 and read the posts made by myself and Kyouha, because it seems that many people are turning this debate into fansub vs. DVD. In reality, the issue is not the ethics of fansubs (a mute point) but the ethics of the Answerman in his column. His immature, malicious, and logically questionable responses have depraved what used to be considered an informative and enjoyable column.

By the way: Zach, we're still waiting for your response.

The ethics of fansubs are not a "mute" (you mean "moot", by the way) point. They are still very much under debate.

The column goes out of its way to point out that I'm talking about a very specific, new kind of fan that's popped up lately; it's pretty clear I'm not talking about everyone who watches fansubs. Go back and read the response again and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Here's what I don't get: those of you who are most vocal about your disagreements go out of your way to question and insult my professionalism, my "journalistic integrity", the quality of the site, the quality of the column, everything except stating what's really the issue: you disagree with me. And there's nothing wrong with that. I like hearing the other side of the argument; one of the goals of the column is to generate discussion. But ranting and raving about "journalistic ethics" has absolutely nothing to do with what your problem is. You disagree with my viewpoint, and that's it. You're entitled to that.

What you're not entitled to is slinging around insults and accusations and trashing the site because you disagree.

Furthermore, Answerman has always been an editorial column. It was never just straight-up, straight-faced answers to questions. Even when Rebecca was writing it she'd editorialize her answers and roll her eyes at the people who continually ask the Berserk question over and over again.

So let's be a little less reactionary and ridiculous, shall we?[/i]
biliano

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Well said, Zac.

First off, I'm very appreciative that you actually took the time to even answer that first question because it was very difficult to read. I know that Rebecca kept harping on the fact that most of the questions that she received when she was writing Answerman were very poor in both grammar and sentence structure. Providing an answer to a poorly-structure question shows your obvious dedication to your job. For that, we thank you very much. Very Happy

Second, I'm getting sick and tired of people that are turning what is suppose to be a fun and rewarding hobby into a political debate. As Zac said, Answerman was, is, and always will be an editorial column, much like the Ask John column in AnimeNation. While the writing styles of John and Zac are vastly different, they do have a common goal - to offer comprehensive and honest opinions to whatever question they have presented to them. You don't always have to agree with what they say, but please use some common sense when responding to their answers. Politics have no business whatsoever in the anime industry, and the tone of the responses made especially by lazuline and Kyouha shows that anime fandom is now starting to devolve into mudslinging and political bashing. Should this continue (and it pains me greatly to post this), then it will spell the beginning of the end of anime as we know it. Crying or Very sad

Last edited by biliano on Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
pythos

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:40 pm Reply with quote
kirtai wrote:
I speak fluent Japanese...

kirtai wrote:
...there are many shows that aren't licensced....So, fansub is the only way to do it.

No fansub isn't the ONLY way to do it. You could buy the R2 DVDs.

kirtai wrote:
Fansubs are useful. They help you decide what shows you want to plunk down an excess of money for, and which you are better of without.

This is no longer the case. Unfortunately with BitTorrent and CD-R/DVD-R technology too many fans are just downloading the fansubs and not buying legal copies. Look at how many of these are being sold on Ebay.

And it's not just Ebay. I know of at least 2 anime stores in my local metropolis that sell bootlegs. And the local fans know about it too. They even criticize one of the local stores (and it's owners) because they WON'T carry the bootlegs.

Fansub activies, whether intentionally or not, are hurting the industry. And while there are many who really do it as a labor of love, there are more who do it for the prestige or other selfish reasons.

Maybe it's time for ANN to revisit the Fansub issue again and see how much, if anything has changed.
animenewsnetwork.com/feature.php?id=141
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:03 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
Politics have no business whatsoever in the anime industry

No offense, but I have to say that your comment is way too naive and idealistic. I've seen too many political maneuvers within academia and philanthropic organizations; how can there be no politics in an industry?

Politics are EVERYWHERE. Twisted Evil

P.S. I wonder if anyone else has noticed that non-American ANNers often refrain from debates like this one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
The Xenos

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:12 pm Reply with quote
WOw. I was on the messageboards of my friends in the underground anime club at my school. Seems someone started bitching that ADV and Funimation and others creacked down on Box Torrents. It seems some of them are the morons I was complaining about. Not only did they have recent liscened stuff, but it seems they also had older series. Now I could understand new series that just got picked up and aren't out yet. (I myself cannot wait for the release of Speed Grapher. Though I will buy it when it does get a R1.) Yet these morons had old shows like Eva or Bebiop. That's just f&*$#ing lame.

shenlongmizuno wrote:
Real anime fans are those who support the anime companies by buying dvds. Smart real anime fans are those who watch fansubs to guarantee their money supports good shows and to discover hidden gems.
FUNimation can thank fansubs for the $200+ I've dumped on Fruits Basket related merchandise. I am the proud owner of all the pink/pastel dvds and mangas.. that I have to hide when my friends come over.

HA! Awesome

Kyouha wrote:
However, I don't appreciate the volume of inflammatory and accusatory diction that thoroughly saturated the rest of Answerman's responses this week - it was more like reading rants and slander than reading Answers at all.

You totally wrong. In print it's not slander, it's libel.

-Xenos
biliano

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:18 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
biliano wrote:
Politics have no business whatsoever in the anime industry

No offense, but I have to say that your comment is way too naive and idealistic. I've seen too many political maneuvers within academia and philanthropic organizations; how can there be no politics in an industry?

Politics are EVERYWHERE. Twisted Evil

None taken, and you're right - I should have known better. After all, I work in an industry that gets virtually no support from our state government. It just the ramblings of a frustrated anime fan. Smile

Last edited by biliano on Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
lazuline

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Furthermore, Answerman has always been an editorial column. It was never just straight-up, straight-faced answers to questions. Even when Rebecca was writing it she'd editorialize her answers and roll her eyes at the people who continually ask the Berserk question over and over again.

So let's be a little less reactionary and ridiculous, shall we?

First off,

How can you even possibly rectify this claim?
Quote:

Real anime fans support the shows they love by buying the legitimate DVD release. Period.

But putting aside that lapse in logic...

If you read my post on page 2 than you would understand that I don't completely disagree with your opinions.

I completely disagree with the treatment of your readers.

You say that everyone is entitled to their opinion yet you handle your responses with the tact of a 37 year old virginal Star Wars fan shooting down someone who inadvertently referred to Darth Vader as Dark Vader. Instead of simply ranting and advancing a crusade against piracy and the "internet's penniless teenagers with entitlement complexes", how about answering e-mails that have some value? Why even waste your time (and column) on these idiotic inquiries written by illiterate tweens? No one is laughing Zach.

For the record:
Ms. Answerman wasn't as caustic and mean spirited as you have been in your recent columns.

Here is how Rebecca responded to a similar inquiry on scanslations:
Quote:

1) I've recently stumbled upon an on-line scanilation of the Kingdom Hearts manga. It's been out over a year and are there any plans on it being released here in the states?

As for whether or not you should download it, scanlations are basically the manga version of fansubs. With manga, however, people cannot complain about ‘how expensive it is’ because a single volume will generally run you $7 if you buy it from a store in the US. If you plan on downloading it, I would suggest that you buy the manga as well (plus you can show off your Japanese manga to all your friends who can’t pretend that they know Japanese).

I don't think I'm being ridiculous. As a Journalist, you should leave the inflammatory comments to the e-mails that you are responding to.

Last edited by lazuline on Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:44 pm; edited 4 times in total
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Well well lazuline, great job in demonstrating you are not only just as bad as what you're attacking but even worse. You didn't even confront the issues really, matter of fact, you completely sidestepped them yourself. As far as the editorial goes, that is what it is whether you like it or not, and apparently you don't, but either way it's an editorial none the less.

His column has plenty of integrity, more so in my opinion because he was willing to take the issue by the horns. End of the line is it's obvious you're in defense of fansubs, so you steal anime, good for you but it's wrong. If you're going to do something that's wrong and then take offense when someone points that fact out then you better get used to being so easily offended by reality.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belisarius

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

The column goes out of its way to point out that I'm talking about a very specific, new kind of fan that's popped up lately; it's pretty clear I'm not talking about everyone who watches fansubs. Go back and read the response again and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Oh really? If I may quote you
" They behave as though the ultimate show of affection and support for someone's art is to steal it, slap your lame fansub group name all over the title sequence (Like #ANIME-SOX PRESENTS CHRONO CRUSADE), use gaudy fonts and half-assed translations to subtitle the show and then give it to as many people as possible for free."

I think what the statement says overtly is that this type of fan is an idiot, and you have a valid point. What it implies about fansubs in general is another matter. The addition of lame fansub group name in particular stands out. This statement seems to insinuate that fans look for subs that are over the top in terms of presentation, when in fact, I think most of us prefer the opposite. Moreover, I think you'd be hard pressed to find any respectable fansub group acting in a fashion such as the one you describe.

Zac wrote:

But ranting and raving about "journalistic ethics" has absolutely nothing to do with what your problem is. You disagree with my viewpoint, and that's it. You're entitled to that.

What you're not entitled to is slinging around insults and accusations and trashing the site because you disagree.

I strongly disagree. I base my opinions of this website around the talent, professionalism, and integrity of its staff. There's a reason I'm inherently distrustful of our president for example, and it's because I think he's not too bright. Similarly, if I think someone puts up a smear piece to try and somehow slander fansubbers because of personal motives and NO empirical evidence whatsoever, it's going to tarnish my opinion of them and whoever they work for.

Further more, you're being hypocritical by demanding standards of us you yourself didn't hold to in your article. You want to make a comment about lousy sub quality? Fine, mention AJ's "mass naked child events". You want to talk about Naruto fans having unreasonable expectations for the dub release on Cartoon Network, fine, go find some forum posts, or hatemail, or something to back up your assault instead of pulling out stereotypes and the played out "Narutard" cliche.

I agree with you about the morality of fansubs being a subject for debate, I agree that the dub/sub thing is tired now that most DVDs have both, and I agree that anime fans need to show support for series they like by buying DVDs. This editorial doesn't do ANYTHING to further any of those objectives however. All it does is give you a chance to grand stand about how much you can't stand a minority of fansub viewers and fans while at the same time belittling the majority of subbers and viewers. If you expect that sort of editorial to not have an impact on how I view the integrity of this website, you're living in the same fantasy world as the fanboys you take such pleasure in demeaning.
lazuline

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:

End of the line is it's obvious you're in defense of fansubs, so you steal anime, good for you but it's wrong.

Again, the issue is not fansubs but the abuse of the readers.
ChrisBeveridge

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:39 pm Reply with quote
lazuline wrote:
Keonyn wrote:

End of the line is it's obvious you're in defense of fansubs, so you steal anime, good for you but it's wrong.

Sometimes you just can't coddle everyone. More people could use some up front straight forward language on a regular basis. It'd probably cut down the whine factor by a sizeable percentage.
biliano

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:55 pm Reply with quote
ChrisBeveridge wrote:
lazuline wrote:

Sometimes you just can't coddle everyone. More people could use some up front straight forward language on a regular basis. It'd probably cut down the whine factor by a sizeable percentage.

That, or maybe lazuline just wants Rebecca Bundy back writing the Answerman column. Cool
TheoryGirl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Man oh, Answerman! I'm having a hard enough time trying to convince my boyfriend to watch Princess Tutu without you describing it as "one of the girliest shows ever, guaranteed to make you question your masculinity and make you develop an affinity for pink frilly things"!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Karala

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:01 pm Reply with quote
TheoryGirl wrote:
Man oh, Answerman! I'm having a hard enough time trying to convince my boyfriend to watch Princess Tutu without you describing it as "one of the girliest shows ever, guaranteed to make you question your masculinity and make you develop an affinity for pink frilly things"!

I know, seriously, it's not that bad if you actually watch it. It only sounds bad in the title. After you get past the idea of she's a duck, girl, and some dacing magical Princess Tutu, it's very enjoyable. It gets violent and darker later on, it's not one of those "everything is happy and joyful" series... sure, it's shoujo, but no need to make it out to the ultimate shoujo, I can't stand those type of sappy series.

Last edited by Karala on Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
shenlongmizuno

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I agree that the editorial wasn't really criticizing everyone who downloads fansubs, my problem is with his crack about the quality of fansubs. Most are indeed terrible, some are good and I agree 100% that what he says is very true for a good portion if not the majority of fansubbers. And as for the new editorial that was posted, lol answerman can and should defend/clarify his own words.

I repeat, smart true anime fans are those who watch fansubs and support companies who produce and/or license quality shows with their money.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9