• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Horrible Anime Dub Opening Songs

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WitchWatcher

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:57 pm Reply with quote
wish someone would license rescue CCS.
midori kou

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I would've added Rave Masters opening onto that list. It scratches my ears all the time.
gojira89

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I personally loved the Ouran opening. Is it the greatest, no. Is it deversing to be on this list, hell no!
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I agree with most of these, especially Ronin Warriors. The 4Kids One Piece opening and Ice Cube's Dragon Ball GT opening were both awful. I didn't mind the Rayearth songs too much, though it was sometimes hard to hear the lyrics. Ouran's was decent, but nothing special. Bree Sharp's Tokyo Mew Mew (Power) song was a little cheesy, but I have fond memories hearing it. There were better songs in the show though. "Don't Wake Me Up" is an amazing song, and fit better than it's Japanese counterpart, same with "If You Could Dance Another Day" (and I say this as a fan of the Japanese version, one of the few anime where this is the case).

Now, my 10 FAVORITE English anime themes are the ones from Yu Yu Hakusho, Tenchi Muyo, Blue Gender, One Piece (FUNimation...), Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball GT (Remastered...), Case Closed, Sailor Moon (not the opening, but the other songs in the English dub were really good), Pokemon, and Shaman King.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:29 pm Reply with quote
trilaan wrote:
wonderwomanhero wrote:
How about the dub opening to El Hazard: The Wanderers?

I, personally, LOVE the Wanderers songs.

Me too, I have the Pioneer soundtrack CD's and the two OP themes really are underrated catchy rock tunes in their own right. By extension, I love all the Tenchi dub songs, and consider myself fortunate for having found the Universe soundtrack that contained the full-length English OP.

Glad I'm not alone in liking the Rayearth dub OP. It may not be "great" singing per se by itself, but when I listen to the lyrics to the tune of the music on Youtube--it's actually a very nice listen to me personally. The one main thing about it is that it's so slow and quiet, while the Japanese originals are fast with hard-rock guitar-riffing!

For the most part I am just ever so glad the English OP for Fruits Basket isn't included on this list. That song truly is just as beautiful in English as in Japanese, and it's a shame that Funimation never did a full-length version.

Last edited by pachy_boy on Sat May 04, 2013 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Never saw Escaflowne on Fox (saw the English dub Comcast but I own the Box set now) but, I'm glad I never had to listen to the opening. It looks like a bad AMV from the early 2000's.

WitchWatcher wrote:
wish someone would license rescue CCS.

Lucky Australians.

Quote:
Everything about Cardcaptors is wrong.

Fixed.
It wasn't just the opening; the English dub is just plain bad. Sakura (sorry SAH KUU RA) sounded like Valley Girl teenager stuck in a childs' body, Tomoyo's (sorry Madison's) romantic feelings for Sakura are erased almost completely, Yukito (whoops, Julian) romantic relationship with Toya (sorry, Tori) is gone along with Sakura's crush on him, Syaoran (ugh, Showron) is more of a jerk than usual, and Kero sounds like this. Anime dazed
Nostalgia or not, you have to be ignorant to say the English dub was actually good. Dreaming is my favorite of the original three; it's upbeat yet soothing to listen on warm sunny days.

Both the Ouran opening & ending songs are soulless and watered down and I actually like the English dub. The lyrics of the Japanese original was about Haruhi's budding relationship with Tamaki:

I always noticed that you were by my side, but
Is it hate? Or love? Or some sort of delusion?

If I could see my own feelings clearly now
A lady, a host, neither wouldn't matter to me

Everyone has their own reason for falling in love
It's different for everyone, Maybe you're my love?
sainta

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:32 pm Reply with quote
midori kou wrote:
I would've added Rave Masters opening onto that list. It scratches my ears all the time.

Shocked Oh god, you had to bring that up.

Ravevolution isn't a word! Heck the entire dubbed Rave Master series was the dessicated version of Hiro Mashima's series. Did they ever release an uncut version of the anime with the actual names?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvfX1JJpxF0
Haha! The singer sounds so bored. RONIN WARRIORS!
Nunnanation31

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm going to have to disagree with the "Cardcaptors" theme on here. I agree that the dub is nothing compared to the original "Cardcaptor Sakura", but that doesn't automatically make the opening theme bad. Nor does saying that the original openings were better (which they are) automatically mean that the dubbed opening was bad. I still think it's very good and fits the show ("Cardcaptors", not CCS). Now, whether the show itself is any good is another topic.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:14 pm Reply with quote
The 4Kids OP opening was so epic when I was a kid xD
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Here's a song where I like the English version better than the Japanese. Haven't had an opportunity to listen to the whole song in English, though.

(I also kind of second someone's mention of El Hazard: The Wanderer's intro theme being cheesily awesome in English.)
sainta

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:15 pm Reply with quote
The One Piece opening always felt like a group of drunk people singing together in a bar before going violent.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:19 pm Reply with quote
For once I find myself disagreeing with A LOT of these.

For one thing, I liked the Escaflowne OP. Sure it wasn't the greatest but it wasn't that bad. Same thing with the Cardcaptors and One Piece OPs . (The theme is really the only the 4Kids One Piece dub had going for it.)

Monster Rancher and Mew Mew Power's OPs, on the other hand, were kinda on the other end. Catchy, but not good songs by any means.

Though I'm honestly surprised the Zatch Bell OP isn't on here.

bj_waters wrote:
Wow! We've gotten this far and no one's mentioned Shaman King's Dub Opening? (Click here if you don't know what I'm talking about.) I've always kind of liked this one, but I figured since Shaman King's dub was so maligned it would end up here in some capacity.

I actually liked the SK dub, aside from the name changes (which I can't actually complain about.) The OP too, was actually kind of awesome in that regard.

Keichitsu0305 wrote:
And Kero sounds like this. Anime dazed
Nostalgia or not, you have to be ignorant to say the English dub was actually good.

The show's dub was actually OKAY. Nothing too awful but not great either. It was the script and pronunciation that was the problem. Kero's VA, by the way, was the best in the show.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:24 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
. The one main thing about it is that it's so slow and quiet, while the Japanese originals are fast with hard-rock guitar-riffing!

There is a slow version (here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFaTouc-Q64) but it's not the same tempo used in the *actual* opening, found in the link in the original column.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gden

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I honestly can't believe no one mentioned the Rurouni Kenshin Freckles Opening dub. I think it's sung by the same person who sang the MKR song, though, which would explain the awfulness.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Gden wrote:
I honestly can't believe no one mentioned the Rurouni Kenshin Freckles Opening dub. I think it's sung by the same person who sang the MKR song, though, which would explain the awfulness.

I liked it enough. Really wish they'd done a dub version of the songs up to It's Gonna Rain by Bonnie Pink. That's my favorite anime theme song of all time, ranking just higher than Sound Life from Trigun. Another missed musical dubbing opportunity.

Last edited by trilaan on Sat May 04, 2013 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 17