• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Warner Hires Shane Black for Hollywood Death Note Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:46 pm Reply with quote
I don't really get why people hate the JP DN movies. I mean Matsuyama IS L, and other than Mello and Near and those disposable assistants to L, the cast is pretty much there.

Jaymie: As long as they don't pull a Godzilla '98-type make-over on the Shinigami, I'm fine with the change in location.

Sweetre: Yeah, I only saw the Jet Li one, but I heard the first installment was darker than the later ones. One of these days, I need to check out the rest. I'm just wondering if he can transfer that kind of darkness to a toned-down PG-13 film. So far, though, he's had two strikes against him in that area. But I will give the studio credit for taking a chance on someone less gimmicky as a director.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Shane Black, huh? This could be interesting.

Death Note is primarily a collection of simple but powerful story ideas -- imho it'd be much easier to adapt than most manga. There are plenty of nice details to the way the story plays out, but they're mostly interchangeable. They just need to preserve the basic concepts/atmosphere, the important aspects of at least two characters (Light and L), and this.
Sweetre15

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:21 am Reply with quote
IMHO, if a story about a character that is given supernatural "power" and develops a god complex by trying to change the world to his liking by killing various people isn't compelling enough for a film........ I don't know what is.
eichi-kun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:56 am Reply with quote
hope this time is not a failure
who's going to play Yagami Light and L? can't wait
TopGunman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:10 am Reply with quote
Count me out, Hollywood can kiss my butt! They can't even make good adaptations of American comics, how do they expect to do a half-assed adaptation of something Japanese?
Kaibaman21

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:22 am Reply with quote
Heres's something I don't get,one I thought the original Japanese team was supposed to be in this.Plus due to Warner Bros of Japan released the original 3 WB should know how this franchise works...also Shane Black despite being in the first Predator, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is this guys only film he Directed which this does spell disaster.

I know people will kill me for this but I do enjoy Dragon Ball Evolution, sure its bad but it does have redeeming qualities to it I mean hell atleast DBE explained how the Dragon Radar can freakin works.
Dimlos

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:26 am Reply with quote
Man, I don't get the people complaining about how they might Americanize it. Of course they're going to Americanize it, it's a US remake. Americans prefer to see white people in their movies, much like how the Japanese prefer to see Japanese people in theirs. Some people might take issue with that, but it is what it is.

As for the actual quality of the movie itself, I wasn't a fan of the Death Note manga, but this movie can't possibly be much worse than the Japanese ones, can it?
H0shi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:54 am Reply with quote
Im sure of this:
Deathnote will be turning into horror!!!
Run, Ryuk's gonna eat us Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:47 am Reply with quote
Bento-Box wrote:

I'm a little concerned about this project. There's already been a Death Note Live Action. Why do they have to make an American version?

Because those aren't that good. Razz

jsevakis wrote:
From the article it sounds like they're throwing out all the scripts (including the "leaked" one) and starting over with an attempt to be as close to the manga as possible, with an eye towards maintaining the supernatural elements and its genre-crossing. He also says it's his favorite manga, though it's always hard to tell if he actually means that, or if it's just standard issue Hollywood PR douchebaggery.

Just like Gackt saying Supernatural is a favorite show just because he got a part in the anime. Laughing

rinmackie wrote:
But it's obvious at least in the anime, that Light is smart AND fairly popular. Of course, according to Hollywood, such teenagers don't exist.

Unless he plays a sport, he can't be popular. Laughing

Penguin_Factory wrote:
Toriko36 wrote:
I understand why they are doing this. Hollywood does not/will not create new original screenplays

"Hollywood" creates (or rather produces movies based upon) original screenplays all the time. Seriously, of the movies playing at my nearest cinema out of 3 out of 19 are remakes or adaptations. I'm sick to death of hearing this argument every time a high profile adaptation or remake gets announced, because it's totally divorced from reality.

People here wouldn't know. When's the last time they went to the movies? They can't - that means a little bit of socializing. Laughing

TopGunman wrote:
Count me out, Hollywood can kiss my butt! They can't even make good adaptations of American comics, how do they expect to do a half-assed adaptation of something Japanese?

We liked Scott Pilgrim and Kick Ass!

Dimlos wrote:
Man, I don't get the people complaining about how they might Americanize it. Of course they're going to Americanize it, it's a US remake. Americans prefer to see white people in their movies, much like how the Japanese prefer to see Japanese people in theirs.

Yeah, the Japanese just Japanized the classic film Elevator to the Gallows. Very Happy

Death Note is old now and growing older by the day, now that it's ended on TV. By the time this comes out, people would have already moved on.

Besides, not all Hollywood Americanizations are bad. Look at Inception, better than the original! Wink
rinmackie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:56 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
But it's obvious at least in the anime, that Light is smart AND fairly popular. Of course, according to Hollywood, such teenagers don't exist.

Unless he plays a sport, he can't be popular.

He played tennis, remember?
Sweetre15

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:30 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I don't really get why people hate the JP DN movies. I mean Matsuyama IS L, and other than Mello and Near and those disposable assistants to L, the cast is pretty much there.

Jaymie: As long as they don't pull a Godzilla '98-type make-over on the Shinigami, I'm fine with the change in location.

Sweetre: Yeah, I only saw the Jet Li one, but I heard the first installment was darker than the later ones. One of these days, I need to check out the rest. I'm just wondering if he can transfer that kind of darkness to a toned-down PG-13 film. So far, though, he's had two strikes against him in that area. But I will give the studio credit for taking a chance on someone less gimmicky as a director.

We dont really know if it'll be PG-13 or not since he's involved......Remember the CGI this requires shouldnt really be over possibly 50-60 mil maybe or even lower given the right production team.

Alot of his scripts(according to him) tend to get butchered by studios a lot by extensive rewrites by different directors so that could also be a reason in the hit or miss of his resume. So hopefully that doesn't happen here.

Anyway, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he keeps his word and gives a good representation of the source material.... I mean he threw that last script in the trash so he's already off to a good start. Very Happy
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:29 am Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
rinmackie wrote:

Unless he plays a sport, he can't be popular.

He played tennis, remember?

Then obviously Hollywood wouldn't have a problem then. Laughing
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:15 am Reply with quote
enurtsol:
Quote:
Because those aren't that good.

I think it's more like they want some of that Hot Topic/Twilight money.

Quote:
We liked Scott Pilgrim and Kick Ass!

I hated K-A, and not because it was an adaptation. It just was hacky material.

Quote:
Death Note is old now and growing older by the day, now that it's ended on TV. By the time this comes out, people would have already moved on.

Well, they're sellin' new editions of the manga, so someone's buyin' it. Hell, by the time the American remake of The Ring came here, the original novel was over a decade old, and DVDs were already taking video tapes in sales, and yet the movie was still a hit.

Quote:
Besides, not all Hollywood Americanizations are bad. Look at Inception, better than the original!

If you want a sci-fi thriller about dreams to morph into a bloated FPS, sure. Rolling Eyes

Sweetre: It has to be PG-13, because they can't make money on it if it's R-rated. And an R-rated version of DN would completely miss the target audience for the source material, anyway.

Quote:
Remember the CGI this requires shouldnt really be over possibly 50-60 mil maybe or even lower given the right production team.

Yes, but this is Hollywood CG, so it'll be at least $150 million. Laughing That was actually one of the rumoured figures for DB:E, if you can believe it.

And my problem isn't his overall record. My concern is will he actually be able to sell his vision of the film to a younger crowd? Because that's not normally a demo he's scored with in the past, when it comes to box office.

[/i]

Last edited by GATSU on Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:30 am; edited 1 time in total
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:57 pm Reply with quote
If you think they can't screw up how about The Last AirBender and that wasn't even Japanese though when I watch the adds for it I though it was. It was only when I watch it on Nictoons I found out it was American and a great animation series to boot as for the live action I heard it was terrible. So what can expect about Death Note film all we can hope that Hollywood doesn't mess it up but I am not expecting a good film but who knows we might get a hopeful surprise. Confused
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:35 am Reply with quote
marcos: The Airbender movie sucked because of the Shyamalan factor and Hollywood's tendency to discriminate against Asian and minority actors as leads. You'd have to really get it wrong to fudge up Death Note, though. That should be a slam dunk.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5