• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bakuman. (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaymie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:17 am Reply with quote
I hate how slow this is. I had to force myself to read the first forty or so chapters, and after that the story turned into something as epic and suspenseful as Death Note. Seriously.

I might just wait for the inevitable Season 2 before I continue watching, because waiting for my favorite characters to appear is agonizing.
Skylark

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:35 am Reply with quote
Wow, lotta hate happening. I don't see this show as being particularly slow or anything right now, and I wonder how much people are setting store by randoms who are jumping in to say how good the manga gets later. This is a trend that I am starting to hate with a violent passion around here. Not all of us have read the manga, if we wanted to we would. We don't need 20 people coming in and telling us what the anime is going to become so that you can crank your e-points for knowing where the story goes or vent and bitch when the anime goes of the manga's path and turns into something else. There haven't been _that_ many posts talking about the manga I guess but it's prevalent in pretty much every thread about an anime adaption of a manga and I'm a little over it. I don't need my expectations raised or lowered by someone giving me tantalising nothings about a manga series; if I wanted that I would read the manga myself.

Anyways that aside, I'm liking the fact that not so much stock is being placed on the romance aspect at this point. The two leads both come across as believably driven, and I like that their backgrounds and lives are being introduced in small portions. I don't really mind a slow paced show every now and then but this isn't really that slow paced anyway; they've already submitted a spoiler[manuscript to an editor, something which would take a lot of guts and preparation; and the writers are managing to include all the interesting and poignant parts of the manga writing and crafting phases without including tedious montages of the two working at it. Also, I thought the "two worlds" concept was pretty damn interesting (though, as mentioned in the show, a better idea for a novel than a manga).]

Overall, the general movement of the plot and character development are making this series the one I am waiting out for each week, and the show is sitting at my favourite of the season now (Oreimo has had a couple of scrappy episodes, though Otome Youkai Zakuro or whatever it's called is proving to be quite good also). I really don't see it as that slow. Slow is something like Kimi ni Todoke. Or the massive middle section of Eureka Seven. This is moving briskly and I guess if you like the character interactions then it wouldn't come across as slow, and if you don't then it would. I won't compare it to Bakemonogatari dialogue-wise, because the two have completely different narrative objectives and styles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:43 am Reply with quote
I don't know that this is my favorite show this season, but it's certainly not as bad as much of the hate would suggest.

I don't really expect it to "get better" but I don't think it needs to get better.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't need my expectations raised or lowered by someone giving me tantalising nothings about a manga series; if I wanted that I would read the manga myself.

You should, it's excellent.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:28 am Reply with quote
I'm interested in this one but I decided to save watching it until it's finished, since I'm already following a ton of stuff.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:41 am Reply with quote
I'm loving this series.

I loved episode six. I loved the scene where the editor was stern but frank; you could tell that he was pulling no punches. But then, that just made his praise and advice so much more valuable. Think of Simon Cowell, except without the negative personality traits. He quickly and accurately surmised the strengths and weaknesses of the manuscript and of the boys themselves.

And the manuscript was really well done, especially for a first attempt by two fourteen-year-old boys. That's the thing that you have to remember; it wasn't supposed to be perfect. If it was, the editor would have offered his cellphone number, and the show would be really quite short. So the show - well, the original Manga, but you know what I mean - made it so that the manuscript had flaws. Realistic flaws.

The general pacing of the show has been fine. In the first episode the boy actually confesses his love; heck, he even asks her if she'll marry him. And she said yes. Well, kind of. Many romance plots take the better part of twenty-six episodes to get that far, and people have the gall to accuse the show of being slow paced? It is now episode six, and the boys have already completed a manuscript and had a professional look at it. No contract was drawn up, but they've got a pinky toe in the door. Everyone has to start somewhere, and not at the top.

And that leads me on to my next point; this show is real. Okay, so the romance is decidedly not, but as I've said before, that was just an excuse to get the ball rolling. The real story is about the two boys, and we've seen a good dose of backstory and motivations already. The story is very well written and the characters are engaging while being plausibly-written teenagers that a person could know in real life.

I'm not sure if this is the absolute best Anime that's currently airing. But it certainly is one of the top dogs.
utawoutau

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I am really interested in watching how the manga artist portion of Bakuman's story unfolds, but honestly the love story has me ready to hurl. The last episode I watched (episode 7) was about 80% of that garbage.

I am wondering if I should just walk away now?

[EDIT: Since we have an official thread for this series, there's no need to bring this up in a new thread, hence the merger. - Key]
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:12 pm Reply with quote
What garbage? Before presenting us with the finish line, I'd first want the show to explain why he's running towards said line.
On that aspect, the show is doing tremendously well. They've already proven their bonds and how both of them are the perfect couple.
What have they done in 7 episodes?
Developed the initial main cast including the series' protagonists.
Developed core relationships (friendship and love).
Developed their dreams, and the reason behind it.
Developed the protagonist's family (you should know why most protagonists are either orphans, or have invisible parents).
Given a stepping stone. Set-up professional bonds.
Given a training arc. Minor stories (which were fairly interesting in my opinion).

Slow?

If you paid enough attention, you should know that our protagonist won't be bothering our heroine any longer because he finally realized the weight of their promise.

Will it get better?

I guarantee that. Manga fans also agree.

Will it get better for you?

Only you could decide/know that.

Will it get better for me? Always.
bahumut75

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:37 pm Reply with quote
/agree with egoist

I'm really enjoying this show; despite the arguments of some people that it is slow and/or boring, I find it very entertaining - see egoist's posts for the gist of it. I personally find the characters engaging and believable, and I like the way that the story is unfolding in a logical, real-world manner. Only you can decide if the show is something you're interested in, but I for one am loving it!
wombat6025

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:31 am Reply with quote
I was really loving this series - from about 1 minute into the first episode I was hooked; but in the last minute of episode 7 my expectations have been dashed, clearly a rivalry is being setup between them and manga prodigy Nizuma; but can you get a lamer set-up thanspoiler[ Nizuma demanding "If I become the most poplar manga artist in Jack, give me the authority to end one series I don't like"; let's guess whose series that will be?]
Obviously I'll carry on watching, but for me the story has enough punch and interest without any faked up rivalry.
bahumut75

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:36 am Reply with quote
wombat6025 wrote:
I was really loving this series - from about 1 minute into the first episode I was hooked; but in the last minute of episode 7 my expectations have been dashed, clearly a rivalry is being setup between them and manga prodigy Nizuma; but can you get a lamer set-up thanspoiler[ Nizuma demanding "If I become the most poplar manga artist in Jack, give me the authority to end one series I don't like"; let's guess whose series that will be?]
Obviously I'll carry on watching, but for me the story has enough punch and interest without any faked up rivalry.

While I agree that a propped up rivalry wouldn't really do the show any good, that isn't really the way that I interpreted that scene. I mean, as I figure, Nizuma doesn't even know that the other guys exist. I figured there was some currently running manga that he didn't like or something. Its possible they'll use this as a way to instigate a rivalry between the two, but I'm not sure. Its an interesting, if un-welcomed, idea though, I hadn't even thought of it that way.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:19 am Reply with quote
Just thought I would add that I hate the opening song, it and the ending song remind me of the songs used in in Kimi ni Todoke, not exactly bad but really no my cup of tea.

Actually with this series my main problem is that is something I can not put my finger on, my best guess would have to be some sort of lameness. My favourite parts are also pretty hard to place a finger on, but what ever it is I enjoy it, perhaps it is the realistic yet enthusiastic minds of the characters. As it was mentined before I think it might be more of their love for something they do rather then just to make it. Plus the writer guy's inspiration in just Dragonball, it is probably not but it feels that they just tried to say the most popular/famous manga they could.

But hey I actially enjoyed the 'romance' in this latest episode, at least now it feels like more then "We tottaly like each other from just looking at each other". Now what I really want is there to be more then only two sets of two character talking with each other at any time, there must be more character coming up soon right?

This is bugging me, but the guy from Shounen Jack reminds me of one of the mermaids in One Piece, did anyone else think that.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:52 am Reply with quote
You mean merman? I believe we've been shown a handful of mermaids (two I can think of, one during Robin's arc, and another during a filler with the squidin' octopus). No, I didn't think about it, and even after you mention it I still can't spot anyone similar.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:07 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
You mean merman? I believe we've been shown a handful of mermaids (two I can think of, one during Robin's arc, and another during a filler with the squidin' octopus). No, I didn't think about it, and even after you mention it I still can't spot anyone similar.

I meant merman, probably not much of a resemblence anyway, mostly just the puffy lips and spikey hair and I have not really seen simular features anywhere else.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Seriously, don't let that bother you. Eiji's awesome.

Quote:

This is bugging me, but the guy from Shounen Jack reminds me of one of the mermaids in One Piece, did anyone else think that.

Hachi, yeah.

Btw, I'm amused by the shift they've made in the anime version with Jump, changing Shonen Jump to Shonen Jack, Shueisha to Yueisha, and they changed the Jump pirate mascot as well, but I forget what to.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 13