• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Central Park Media Gives Final Farewell at Anime Expo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
As for why they never released some titles on DVD, it's due to rights issues. Most older VHS licenses never came with the option to release titles on DVD, as many licensors considered those digital rights. Several of CPM's older titles would have required renegotiation, and they may not have been worth the added cost. There's also the possibility that CPM didn't have the time or money to track down all the original rights holders and production comittee members to get the DVD rights. Unfortunately, this is why we may never see some VHS gems on DVD.
So because they didn't want to go for the digital rights, they left them to collect dust in the damp and darkness instead of releasing the licenses years ago for someone else to have a go at making digital money with them, only to have them ripped from CPM's cold dead hands Oh yeah I'll miss them for that, however I also hold the Japanese partly responsible for not keeping their eye on the francises as well. Hopefully they will wake up to the "use it, or lose it" clause. I don't know why AnimEgo is still called that. They haven't dealt with anime since finally finishing the UY box sets.

It's not that CPM didn't want to release them, but they may not have been able to. The Japanese could have had unreasonable demands for their release, or just weren't interested in licensing the digital rights at the time. There's also the possibility that CPM couldn't track down all the current rights owners. It's very common for various rights to titles to switch hands several times over the years, and considering the age of several of CPM's titles, they would have a long line of holders to work through.

And as others have said, AnimEgo has released Yawara in the last year.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Chinatsu wrote:
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:
Really sucks to see CPM go.

Good thing some of their shows have been rescued, though. Now, if someone will rescue Utena, Descendants of Darkness, Arslan, Garzey's Wing, Record of Lodoss War, Project A-Ko, A Wind Named Amnesia, They Were 11, Arcade Gamer Fubuki, Roujin Z, Cyber City Oedo 808, Domain of Murder, and all their hentai...

They better release When they Were eleven!
Truth be told Central Park Media did a horrible job when it came to releasing Utena (funi better get it)

I really don' think Funi is going to grab Utena. Enoki is currently airing the show on Anime Network, and will be streaming it on TAN's online player soon. Most of their license rescues have been aimed more at bolstering their channel and online streaming efforts. For Utena, they would have to rely solely on DVD sales, and for a show this age, it probably wouldn't be worth it, despite the pent up demand.

And yeah, CPM did botch up it's release a bit. But truth be told, that wasn't entirely their fault. But it didn't eventually get finished. I wonder if the problems CPM had with it are part of the reason it hasn't been relicensed yet?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4