• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
At what point or how many episodes do you drop a series?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:32 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Kruszer wrote:
I think he means more that if you're watching it longer than that it's because you're interested in it and thus "like" it on some level and thus shouldn't complain.

No, I've sat through some truly terrible shows, most of which were not good for my health. I watched all of BLOOD-C - glorious trainwreck that it was - and finished Deadman Wonderland, Fractale and [C], three god-awful shows. I didn't watch them because I liked them, I merely tolerated them in order so that I knew exactly how bad they were.

It irks me that if I only watch three episodes of something bad then people accuse me of not truly knowing how good it is, and yet now penguintruth is spouting this nonsense.

Congratulations, you wasted your time watching crappy shows for no good reason.

It's like getting beaten with a pipe for an hour and deciding, "Hey, maybe if I stay I'll get a hug at the end!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I used to give everything 3-4 episodes to hook me as I thought I still might find some value in a series that was less than good. Now that I'm older (geezer that I am) I have less time and patience, so I end up giving shows 1-2 eps to get me interested. I've also gotten a tad fatigued with certain genres and tropes, so I don't bother watching unless I read here on ANN that its better than average or not typical. I used to continue to watch one season shows if I got to about 8 eps, since I figured I would just tough it out for 4-5 more episodes. Well, Blood-C cured me of that. If I'm getting no personal entertainment of any kind out of a show it doesn't matter what episode I'm on, I drop it. Added to that is a decent backlog of stuff on my shelves to catch up on and I don't feel like I have to give everything that's streaming several episodes to prove itself anymore.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:34 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Congratulations, you wasted your time watching crappy shows for no good reason.

It's like getting beaten with a pipe for an hour and deciding, "Hey, maybe if I stay I'll get a hug at the end!"

Aww, is someone sad that they were proven wrong?

Actually, it's like, "Maybe if I stay then I can precisely analyse all the ways this piece-of-crap show went wrong, and collect a wide range of evidence to be used to warn others not to watch it."

And besides, it is by watching the odd bad show to its eventual completion that I can fully appreciate the good shows out there.
DieHardBleachFan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:41 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
DieHardBleachFan wrote:
Though there have been cases where I've made it into the 100s of some of those really long shows and dropped then because they got so ridiculous. (*cough* DBZ)

Given your username, I found this to be amusing. Thank you for making me smile.

I know it's contradictory and odd, but for some reason I was able to tolerate Bleach fillers more than DBZ, I have no idea why lol. But my viewing habits have changed nowadays to the point where I just skip over filler eps and wait for canon stuff to continue.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:03 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Kruszer wrote:
I think he means more that if you're watching it longer than that it's because you're interested in it and thus "like" it on some level and thus shouldn't complain.

No, I've sat through some truly terrible shows, most of which were not good for my health. I watched all of BLOOD-C - glorious trainwreck that it was - and finished Deadman Wonderland, Fractale and [C], three god-awful shows. I didn't watch them because I liked them, I merely tolerated them in order so that I knew exactly how bad they were.

Which is something you don't really need to waste your time doing if it's not entertaining and you've already decided you don't like it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Which is something you don't really need to waste your time doing if it's not entertaining and you've already decided you don't like it.

No, those shows were objectively bad. But I wanted to see just how bad they really were. Often, finishing a bad show is silly; it's a waste of your time and it leaves you with nothing but a bad taste in your mouth and high blood pressure. But sometimes you can learn a lot from a bad show and the mistakes the creators made.

Oh, and I haven't even mentioned Terribad Anime yet, have I? Anime so bad they're watchable precisely because they are bad. Anime where you make a drinking game out of how often the characters do moronic acts, or whenever an instance of bad writing crops up, and then see who passes out last (and if anyone can even make it to the end of the first episode).
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:43 pm Reply with quote
As a few folks have already commented, I've watched anime for long enough that I know whether or not a title will grab my interest in many instances within its first episode. If watching the anime feels more like a test of tolerance than being entertained for me, I'm likely to ditch the show before the episode concludes. There are some occasions where I can push through more than a few episodes if my thoughts on a title are mixed. But if it doesn't do enough to grab my interest after a period of time, then I would find myself dropping it. Only exceptions are whatever I have bought for my DVD stockpile as I choose to just grin and bear with what I have to completion (whether I watch it entirely or put it on hold for who knows how long) since I nuked money on it and this has happened with a decent number of titles I have stored on me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:12 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Aww, is someone sad that they were proven wrong?

I don't know. Is somebody sad they've spent hours watching things they disliked for no reason except some strange compulsion to finish it?

dtm42 wrote:
objectively bad.

An objective opinion, huh? Pretty sure those don't exist.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Boomerang Flash

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:45 pm Reply with quote
I operate under the opposite assumption to Cranium's: I think there are more worthwhile anime out there than I care to spend time watching. As such, I consider it a small loss for me to drop a series at an early point. My preferred modus operandi is very similar to marie-antoinette's: I will drop a series whenever I feel like I can no longer stand to watch it. This can occur at any point in the series: The record for the shortest lasting series is Lucky Star, which I dropped a few minutes after it began, while the longest one is Tenku Senki Shurato, which I dropped after 27 episodes out of 38, when I gave up all hopes of the protagonist ever developing after he reverted to his character in the middle of the first arc.

I am sometimes willing to continue past my personal point of dropping if I have heard good recommendations about a series. Reputation, aggregate scores, and general reviews are insufficient. I need either details that entice me or recommendations from someone whose opinions are somewhat known to me. For example, I dropped Gundam 00 after the first 10 or so episodes, and assertions that it was a good series swayed me not at all. It was only after finding out that spoiler[the series gives a fair treatment of the government soldiers and recognizes the protagonists actions as villainous--and not of the necessary type--] that I was willing to resume the series. The series turned out to be one of my favorites, but I do not regret delaying watching it for years, because I watched plenty of other good anime in the interim.
gsilver

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:53 pm Reply with quote
There are shows that I've enjoyed because they were bad. Future Diary fell into glorious awfulness. The plot was terrible, the characters were idiots making the worst mistakes imaginable at every turn, no one was even consistent in what they were trying to do, what was going on made no sense... and it was glorious.

The worst thing a show can be is not bad, but boring.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:42 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I don't know. Is somebody sad they've spent hours watching things they disliked for no reason except some strange compulsion to finish it?

Nice try, but A: you are of course ignoring the legitimate reasons I have already stated, and B: it doesn't change the fact that I still proved you wrong. You made some silly rule and I showed that it is fundamentally flawed, because there's plenty of reasons why you can legitimately dislike something even after watching more than five episodes of it. In fact, as I said, the more you have watched of a show the better placed you are of saying if it is good or not.

penguintruth wrote:
An objective opinion, huh? Pretty sure those don't exist.

Objective opinions don't exist. Objective facts naturally exist. Why people conflate the two when the difference between them is so obvious, well I'll never know.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:51 am Reply with quote
You haven't "proven" anything. Your argument is dreck. That you continue to watch crappy shows for several episodes "to get a better feel for them" or whatever is contemptably foolish. Think of all the good anime you could be watching instead.

How much time do you have to waste before you've decided it's been wasted? You're watching twenty, thirty episodes of a show that's awful, but you can't know if the show is truly good unless you watch fifty or sixty more? If somebody socks you in the face twelve times, do you wait around to see if he's going to give you a lolipop at the end? At a certain point your pain threshold has to give. Continuing to watch bad shows for your reasons is downright masochistic.

All you've shown is how incredibly foolhardy you are for continuing to waste your time on garbage. It's like self-harm. Stop doing this to yourself.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:27 am Reply with quote
I play by several rules:

1 episode - since this is where most of a show's budget goes into, the first episode is how I gage the rest of the show. If it looks awful or dull from the first, I'd ignore it.

2 episodes - if it has lost its charm in the first episode by the second, I drop it.

6 episodes - this is for any series that I think has some potential but still didn't win me over. I find that I tend to drop them around here. I think Bodacious Space Pirates and Gurren Lagann fell into this category.

If they get past 6 episodes, that means I like it fairly enough.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:50 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
All you've shown is how incredibly foolhardy you are for continuing to waste your time on garbage. It's like self-harm. Stop doing this to yourself.

So if I'm reading this correctly, you're equating watching bad Anime with slitting one's wrists?

Look, I know some Anime are atrocious, but that's just a moronic statement to make.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:56 am Reply with quote
I rarely drop series, I am not watching that many titles so I try to select those I think Id like, but there are always exceptions.
I give a few episodes a go, one, two, three, maximum five, only once I made it to episode 11 and abandoned once I figures out there was another season coming...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5