• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bleach (manga).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 covered all the major points. It wasn't awful. Ichigo seems depressed, Karin looks even worse for the wear, Isshin remains goofy and seemingly clueless, Yuzu is finally getting some rebellious teenage spirit (but otherwise she's the most cheerful, normal sibling), Keigo misses Rukia, Ichigo denies missing Rukia, but it's pretty obvious that he misses everything about his powers (especially Rukia), and Tatsuki and Mizuiro are acting as if nothing happened.

Orihime and Chad are MIA. WTF?!

*Sigh* We're never getting an Isshin arc, are we? As much as I like Ichigo's family and highschool friends, Isshin *owes* his son (and Kubo owes his readers) an explanation of how a captain-class Shinigami became a doctor and started a family in the mortal world. This sucks. It's better than Aizen's shinanigans, but it still sucks.

Does anyone know what that full color page filled with pics of Bleach and other manga characters with arrows connecting them to pics of people (mangaka? Voice actors?) was all about? I couldn't make heads or tails out of it, except for the fact that with all the color pages Bleach got this week, it seems like Shonen Jump editorial isn't as upset about the title's general mediocracy as its "fans" are. *le Sigh*.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

*Sigh* We're never getting an Isshin arc, are we? As much as I like Ichigo's family and highschool friends, Isshin *owes* his son (and Kubo owes his readers) an explanation of how a captain-class Shinigami became a doctor and started a family in the mortal world. This sucks. It's better than Aizen's shinanigans, but it still sucks.

Isshin's story will happen. There's no reason for it NOT to happen
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:57 pm Reply with quote
No reason except that Kubo's writing this thing :/ He's already kicking off another arc, so if not now, when? There's no reason for it to not already have happened. Are we really supposed to believe Ichigo and Isshin have been living under the same roof for almost a year and a half and it just never came up? ...Really? Because, y'know, it's not important or anything. Have Ichigo feign disinterest, fine, but the fans still want to know, Kubo! Ugh.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Ichigo probably just didn't want to pry what could possibly be a sore issue for his father. He'll probably tell when it's dramatically appropriate.

I mean, we DID get all of Urahara's/The Vizards' story so it's not like Kubo is aversive to the notion. Just a matter of time
Guardsman Bass

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:47 pm Reply with quote
So it was a time-skip. Not a big surprise - I figured Kubo would do something like that so there could be a period of normalcy before pulling Ichigo back into the thick of it. I wonder how he'll regain his capabilities.*

* Or maybe they'll eventually come back. Didn't Isshin pull the same type of trick, and lose his powers for a while?
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Um, it took Isshin *20 years* to get his powers back! I don't think SJ fans have that kind of patience.

Maybe Karin will beat the truth out of Isshin. There is no way that she doesn't realize something's up with him, and she's not as considerate towards Isshin as Ichigo is.

But then again, apparently she can't even talk openly to Ichigo about her powers, she seems to be even more freaked out by them than before.

Stupid family. Don't they know that keeping secrets and refusing to communicate will only lead to dysfunction?

So who was that guy at the end? A previous Shinigami Sub, I suppose. One who knows Ichigo, apparently. Uggh! Where is Urahara when you need explanations?!
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:49 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Where is Urahara when you need explanations?!

Urahara was the one who kept so much a secret for so long before giving it out piecemeal-like. I wouldn't count on him for a decent explanation of any kind, except in a small and/or filler arc, or if the current arc is almost over. This arc is just beginning, and it doesn't seem like a goofy one-off.

I think the new guy is either from or opposed to Squad Zero. Isn't that the logical next step from the Aizen Saga? Why even have Aizen mention the Spirit King if the story never bothers to include him?
OutlawGundam

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:01 am Reply with quote
Now we have another new character in Ichigo's boss, who seem's interesting enough. Sure it's just another female character who bosses Ichigo around, like there wasn't enough of those already, but I think her having a kid gives her a nice balance.

The arc may be moving slowly, but after the last arc which felt like it had ADD, I think this is a welcomed change of pace. It's a slow lead into what is to come, while also letting the reader settle into this time lapse.
kiddtic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:27 am Reply with quote
I dont know guys this feels like a totally different manga to me now, after going through battles of Bibicly Epic proportions and then going back to this....its really umm hard you know.

Another character she's allryt looks like she has promise just forget the other friggin 20+ important characters he could have developed on.

Ill admit he has me hooked on with this Aizen like dude that keeps showin in the last 2 pages of the manga. So ill keep reading for that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:56 pm Reply with quote
The best part of this chapter was bit with the title/number.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Alright, looks like we might be finally gearing up for some backstory on Isshin/Ichigo's family after all. This is the most interested I've been since spoiler[Gin stabbed Aizen.] Hopefully my interest doesn't fade just as quickly as it did then.
reji12

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:32 am Reply with quote
heres how it is. kubo's taking thing slow right now. basically he's giving us a little break from all the intense fighting and stuff. he's already in the midst of starting up another arc (already started) eventually we will get another villain and someone will have to fight him).. the next ig thing kubo's going to do is the new movie now that i think about it.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, I like Karin's potential for development, Ishida's development, and hints at Isshin's backround. I don't like Kubo introducing five new characters spoiler[ (count 'em: 1. Ramen Guy, 2. Ramen Guy's maid, 3. Ramen Guy's butler, 4. Ichigo's boss, 5. Ichigo's boss' kid)]
There are plenty of well-established characters to continue developing, as well as characters that simply got lost in the shuffle. Seriously. Where is Nell Tu? I' be upset if she never shows up again. And where is Chad?

Quick question: Is the new "Hell" movie canon, by any chance, or is it more Kubo-approved fanfiction? Razz
Guardsman Bass

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:53 pm Reply with quote
New chapter! Some thoughts:

spoiler[

1. The whole "Yuzucest" thing was hilarious. I've joked about Yuzu having a "Big Brother Complex", but Kubo actually went ahead and put it in in-universe by having Karin comment on it.

2. There was some light shed on the type of enemy they are dealing with. Hopefully we'll learn more about humans with odd powers, like Orihime and Sado. ]
John Casey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:38 pm Reply with quote
How weird.

I always thought the best direction for the series to return to in proper form after Aizen was for the characters to go up against spoiler[humans].

Not only was it an aspect that was long ignored throughout the series, but truthfully, Shinigami and Arrancar have overstayed their welcome.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 30 of 33