• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Re:CREATORS

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:24 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
I thought she was married to Yuuya's seiyuu, not Souta's? Confused

Ah, you're right. Weird, I could have sworn people mentioned they were married during the whole "leg rubbing" scene last season.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I am happy that Erina was actually revived and not some kind of illusion. The show is doing a good job of keeping things interesting. Also I guess that Magane really does like Sota though I do wonder what he was warning her about since it sounds like what they are planning will affect all of the creations.

EmpyreanBlaze wrote:
Whether it's the eyes, demeanor, or something; I suspect Charon is being controlled by Altair. Whether that's actually the case or not, we shall see.
Charon did seem to be acting strange.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:37 pm Reply with quote
davonepresley1998 wrote:
Quote:
Re:CREATORS isn't actually about the Creations fighting; it's about the creative process, all the joys and pitfalls inherent to that process....Re:CREATORS may have prominent action elements, but they are meant to be merely sidelights and enhancements to the real truth of the story.

Which is the main reason why, no matter how interesting Ei and Rei think their self-serving ideas are, I've dropped this series. What we were tricked into believing was the main plot is actually playing second fiddle to the Series Composers constant rambling on the nature of creation. If they weren't going to focus on the plot, why have it at all?

This is something worth talking about in terms of analysis or review and i do plan to make my own small review of the show using that interview as a commentary point.

Regardless, i'm still watching the show as I find the nature of creation to be interesting though i will admit that Ei Aoki's style of rambling is not helping it's case

Edit: maybe it's me but I feel like Charon's mech looks a lot like one of the martian mechs from Aldnoah: Zero
Hytokiri

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:28 pm Reply with quote
davonepresley1998 wrote:
Quote:
Re:CREATORS isn't actually about the Creations fighting; it's about the creative process, all the joys and pitfalls inherent to that process....Re:CREATORS may have prominent action elements, but they are meant to be merely sidelights and enhancements to the real truth of the story.

Which is the main reason why, no matter how interesting Ei and Rei think their self-serving ideas are, I've dropped this series. What we were tricked into believing was the main plot is actually playing second fiddle to the Series Composers constant rambling on the nature of creation. If they weren't going to focus on the plot, why have it at all?

Isn't that what animes usually try to offer us? A initial plot which can transform into any possible end result depending of their genre? Making the viewers/audience strive and glue to our screens looking for answers and sometimes baiting us and delivering something unexpected?
I can honestly say the typical battle archetype trait, the great animation and the generic though beautiful art of the series was what first made think, "When this airs, I'm watching it!", but I can also honestly say that when at least the first two episodes of Re:Creators aired, reading through the unusual dialogues they we're throwing us I understood there was something more to this series than just a new original story/idea. And how thankful I am for them on their "rambling on the nature of creation" follow-up/development. I, as a wannabe artist and writer, see a Re:Creators episode each week with high expectations and great joy, and everytime an episode ends it fuels me to not give up on my heartfelt creations/works/projects even more.
Not trying to convince you to think otherwise, as everyone has their own different views/interests/tastes, but this is my take on the series and as a follow creator, they surely aren't disappointing me.

Last episode was awesome and ended perfectly!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:03 am Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
I am happy that Erina was actually revived and not some kind of illusion. The show is doing a good job of keeping things interesting. Also I guess that Magane really does like Sota though I do wonder what he was warning her about since it sounds like what they are planning will affect all of the creations.

Maybe it is something that I had read from others but did not quite notice myself. When Souta was saying "the world does not allow contradictions", apparently he was setting up a lie as at least at the moment it is. Apparently if she took it with her power she could have stabilised herself with the normal world rather than whatever happens down the road, but Magane turned down the help.
Vannil

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:53 am Reply with quote
So the latest episode got real dark real fast. Not going into too deep spoilers before the episode review is up, but spoiler[ three people don't make it through the episode]
teferi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Vannil wrote:
So the latest episode got real dark real fast. Not going into too deep spoilers before the episode review is up, but spoiler[ three people don't make it through the episode]

It felt a bit contrived that Selesia and Charon could apparently only settle things by fighting (especially after Yuuya and Sho just talk things out) and then they pull that nonsense in the last few minutes of the second to last episode. That really cheapened the impact of what would've otherwise been a really emotional scene.
scrwbll19

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:29 pm Reply with quote
So, the one thing I don't remember being explained is what happens to a character when they due. Do they fade from memory in the creators' world? Does the series somehow carry on? What happens to them afterwards?

spoiler[For that matter, it was ballsy of the writers to kill off both Selesia and Aliceteria in one episode. Personally, I am not the biggest fan of either character. However, Selesia is the first creation we meet, which makes killing her off like killing off the main female protagonist in the story, something of a no-no in storytelling. Likewise, Aliceteria, for better or for worse, carried much of the heart of the story. So, again, that is no good. On these grounds and based on Keita's new powers, I am calling a deus ex machine on this series to revive the creations and reset things a right again.]
Vannil

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:04 am Reply with quote
scrwbll19 wrote:
So, the one thing I don't remember being explained is what happens to a character when they due. Do they fade from memory in the creators' world? Does the series somehow carry on? What happens to them afterwards?]

Its never mentioned what happens when a creation "dies", but I imagine that its nothing consequential, "like fading from the collective memory". they do reference the only creation to have died a few times, so its probably they just don't come back to our world. Even if the creator dies, the creation still exists as does the memory of the source material as spoiler[ megane killed her creator, for fun].
scrwbll19

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:17 am Reply with quote
That event kind of felt like a kind of suicide on her part. The interesting thing philosophically for me about this series is that a connection is established between creation and creator. However, the extent to which the creation relies upon the creator for their existence is somewhat Deist in terms of the hands-off approach that the creations more or less view their creators. They recognize that they are still involved with their respective worlds, but it seems like some sort of cognitive dissonance happens at some point that puts a more humanistic and existential spin on things.

Yet, it would seem that this only applies to the "good character" camp. Somehow, it feels like the "world destroying" seems more human and willing to struggle with the issues at stake than the other side. Frankly, it feels like neither side is totally right or totally wrong in their solutions to their identities. Rather, the question seems to be what one does about the cards they are dealt with, no matter how unlikable they may be.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:59 am Reply with quote
In order for the creations to "die" an actual death,all source material & memory of them would need to be erased.

Up till now the only issue was how to bring a new or return a "dead" creation into the "real" world.Meteroa has the ability now per example-Blitz's daughter and Selsia's mech.

What Altair is seeing may be only what she was written to see,just a thought I had.

Magane's power has given Sota's plan carte blanche so waiting for that shoe to drop(dues ex machina style).
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Altair's address to the audience and later words to Hikayu about how her transformation might please fans but isn't enough to base a story on are clearly addressed to the audience from the writer,

I took Altair's comments about Hiakyu's being unbalanced as massive irony about Altair's own status as an unbalanced OP fanfic character, clearly not enough to really build a story about.

Still kind of expecting a Selesia resurrection using Sota's power, or something like that. (Even though it's not clear what happens to her since her story is around.)
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:10 am Reply with quote
I don't know why but i felt a bit empty seeing spoiler[Selesia's and Aliceteria's deaths] for some reason.

one of the reasons i could think of was that there was not as much character development as i would like. I felt that, for the amount of non action scenes we had, we didn't get much insight on the characters, their lives, or feelings. The fact that spoiler[Selesia mentions the coffee scene] and that was the only moment i remember her having any development is a signifier to me of how empty i felt her character. Aliceteria does have more development due to her being in direct conflict with her creator at the start but it still feels odd that i felt nothing when she died.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:11 am Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
I took Altair's comments about Hiakyu's being unbalanced as massive irony about Altair's own status as an unbalanced OP fanfic character, clearly not enough to really build a story about.

Still kind of expecting a Selesia resurrection using Sota's power, or something like that. (Even though it's not clear what happens to her since her story is around.)

Oh, you're absolutely right about that. The real question is whether or not she realizes that it applies to herself, too.

Assuming she does, that raises the possibility that Altair's anger at the world may be as much about being jealous for not having a proper story of her own as it is about Setsuna's suicide and what triggered it. That would fit with the themes presented so far.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:28 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Oh, you're absolutely right about that. The real question is whether or not she realizes that it applies to herself, too.

Assuming she does, that raises the possibility that Altair's anger at the world may be as much about being jealous for not having a proper story of her own as it is about Setsuna's suicide and what triggered it. That would fit with the themes presented so far.

Yes, that's a very good point. I kind of think either way it explains some of her own anger towards the world, it's just unclear whether it's dramatic irony where she doesn't realize it, or she's projecting or analogizing knowingly, trying to use it make Hikayu lose heart specifically because she knows how the fact can trigger an existential crisis.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 28 of 33