• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: DARLING in the FRANXX

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scherzo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:05 am Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
Scherzo wrote:
I think 02's excessive carnality is portrayed as wrong not because of an inherent quality of it, but rather because it serves to fill a deficiency in herself.
I would argue it is portrayed as wrong because:
a) She's unhinged.
b) She's putting the whole squad in mortal danger with her refusal to obey plans or any sort of tactics.
c) She has crippled the lives of hundreds of boys in a futile pursuit to become human, and our MC is next on the chopping block.

Also, the opening confirmed Mitsuru and Kokoro are an official stamen-pistil pair now.

I think the thing I'm weary of is what that metaphor specifically means; is it saying that using people carnally to feel like a complete person is wrong? (Which is fair enough) Or is it saying that her carnality is a result of her deficient understanding of personhood? The problem with the later is that it turns 02 into a problem to be solved; that she'd be a complete person if she mellowed out and had a traditional romantic relationship with Hiro. Again it depends on what Hiro means by loving what 02 is. It might be a bit too hopeful of a reading, but I felt there was a bit of thematic pushback on the idea of 02 needing to be 'tamed', with it being put in the mouth of Not!Kaworu. But I guess we'll see.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:05 am Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:

c) She has crippled the lives of hundreds of boys in a futile pursuit to become human, and our MC is next on the chopping block.

I would push back, that it is not something that she does on purpose, it is an inherent effect of riding with her, which put the blame more on those who have got her to pilot in the first place. I actually think she has sort of blamed that on herself, and her desire to be human, which is why she acts so cold and says she does not care about the lives of others, because those who do are hurt.

Based on what we were shown, it looked like one reason she is so determined to be "human", is because she met a boy in the past who accepted who for who she is, regardless of what she looks, and she wants to return to him by being less of a monster. But she does not realize Hiro is that boy. I think she liked the current Hiro because he was making her feel like less of a monster in surviving the thing she is forced to do, but acted out when he said he liked the current her, which she hates.

And to tie it together, I think Zero Two is perfectly matching the folklore of the Red Oni and Blue Oni. In the story a red Oni really wants to be friends with some children, but they are all afraid of him, so the blue Oni comes up with a plan of playing the bad guy for the red Oni to defeat, and will be accepted. With Hiro having a blue growth I am wondering if Hiro will be the blue Oni that will help her, the red Oni, become friends with the children. And may sacrifice something to do so.
Hal14

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:39 am Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:

Based on what we were shown, it looked like one reason she is so determined to be "human", is because she met a boy in the past who accepted who for who she is, regardless of what she looks, and she wants to return to him by being less of a monster. But she does not realize Hiro is that boy. I think she liked the current Hiro because he was making her feel like less of a monster in surviving the thing she is forced to do, but acted out when he said he liked the current her, which she hates.

Actually, if you go back to episode 1 there is a scene where 02 says "Oh. and here i thought you were dead." So i think she does know Hiro is the boy but either he doesn't remember or he might be another Hiro.
Grendel8
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:52 am Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:

Actually, if you go back to episode 1 there is a scene where 02 says "Oh. and here i thought you were dead." So i think she does know Hiro is the boy but either he doesn't remember or he might be another Hiro.

You may be right, but I believe that her comment was referring to Hiro showing interest in her body and for a female in general. Earlier in the episode she stated that she "found one", but not the specific "one". If Hiro is her "original darling", or a clone, then I do not believe that either one of them realize it as of yet. Seems their memories have been altered. This was definitely one of the better episodes that we have received in a while.

Last edited by Grendel8 on Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scherzo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I think we're missing the obvious solution, that Hiro is a clone of her original Darling. It's already shown that Parasites have basic genetic archetypes that are reused; it's even brought up in the episode with the Plantation 13 squad looking at near-copies of themselves in the nursery. I think Parasites being clones ties into them being seen as disposable to 02.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Scherzo wrote:
I think we're missing the obvious solution, that Hiro is a clone of her original Darling. It's already shown that Parasites have basic genetic archetypes that are reused; it's even brought up in the episode with the Plantation 13 squad looking at near-copies of themselves in the nursery. I think Parasites being clones ties into them being seen as disposable to 02.
While there is a small possibility that Hiro is a clone it seems a lot more likely that the adults can alter memories. In a flashback scene from episode 11 we see that Hiro had completely forgotten about his promise with Mitsuru which was framed in such a way that it implied that his memories had been altered. That Hiro started seeing images of a young Zero Two and that he vaguely recognized them seems to indicate that he is starting to remember their past. I am guessing that in the next episode we will find out about that opening scene from episode 1.
Scherzo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Scherzo wrote:
While there is a small possibility that Hiro is a clone it seems a lot more likely that the adults can alter memories. In a flashback scene from episode 11 we see that Hiro had completely forgotten about his promise with Mitsuru which was framed in such a way that it implied that his memories had been altered. That Hiro started seeing images of a young Zero Two and that he vaguely recognized them seems to indicate that he is starting to remember their past. I am guessing that in the next episode we will find out about that opening scene from episode 1.

Why wouldn't Zero Two recognize Hiro as her Darling then? That seems inexplicable to me given how aware she seems to be of everything else about Plantation 13's squad. Maybe the memories of the original Darling were salvaged in Hiro. OTOH I could sort of see an argument for the mind alteration; he was developing a sense of self that probably was outside the mission parameters of Franxx's experiment, and contact with Zero Two would've only exasperated it. But that still doesn't really explain why, in that case, Zero Two wouldn't recognize Hiro as her *real* Darling.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Well Zero Two was just as much a kid at the time, she may not regognise him as the exact same person so many years later. Her taste of him does make her react, but it is also clear that the years have done some manner of a number on her mind, where she believes that killing Klaxosaurs will turn her human, which I think is just plain incorrect. It is just something she has made herself believe so she felt like she had some sort of attainable goal, through her actions. During that time she told herself that only after being human will she get to see her darling again, giving an explanation to herself why she could not now, not accepting that the reunion already happened, put together to Hiro's trance like state indicative that they whipped his memory.

Rather than him being self aware, my suspicion is just that he saw her in her Oni form, and implications that could ruin the batch of Parasites. Actual chances may be that it started Dr Franxx's current use of them.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Scherzo wrote:
Why wouldn't Zero Two recognize Hiro as her Darling then?
The adults could have altered her memories and made her think that he had died. That none of the parasites could remember the experiments from episode 12 being done on them seems to indicate that the Garden can easily alter memories. Also the ending scene where Hiro said "I remember now" makes it sound like he is remembering his own past.

Scherzo wrote:
Maybe the memories of the original Darling were salvaged in Hiro.
It could be clones and memory transfer but my guess is forgotten childhood friend.
Panayiotis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:33 am Reply with quote
What I don't like about this episode is that I feel that the show is recycling past plotpoits. We have already done the Hiro might die/transform if he continues to ride with 002 thing, in fact that was the main conflict of episode 6. In that episode, we saw that Hiro was beginning to transform, then he "died" and then he came back to life and recovered completely. Now after 6 weeks with no mention of it, we are returning to that conflict that was already resolved in my mind.

As for the crazy theories, I like the Hiro is a clone theory myself. 002 had a immediate reaction when she saw Hiro in episode 1 which means that she immediately recognized him. It would also explain why 002 is now so ready to discard him. If the twist is just going to be that he reminded her of the boy but actually he was the boy all along, I would be pretty disappointed. Also Nine Alpha said the she has had over 100 partners, which would mean that she has had over 300 missions before episode 1, which to me suggest that she has done this for a very long time and that she is much older than she looks.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:50 am Reply with quote
^Not a crazy theory, Also, there will be a Code116 who is Hiro's clone. "02" was in love with 9-Kappa (if the order is right) before Hiro. I have seen nothing to indicate that 02 recognized Hiro as someone else, just that he had qualities she liked and thought could mean he was capable of being a true partner. The remark "Oh, and here I thought you were dead" was in reference to Hiro's initial lack of action and transfixed state in seeing a naked girl for the first time and with horns. Her current bent of treating Hiro badly seems truly out of place give the prior plot progression.

As for 02 being a "cougar" let's not forget that she has been fighting on the "front lines" of a war and with 200 sortie's at the rate of one a week, that's only four years. And has nobody noticed that Dr. Franxx' left side mask (or ??) has an Oni horn like 02's?
Songblade7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Also, there will be a Code116 who is Hiro's clone. "02" was in love with 9-Kappa (if the order is right) before Hiro.

Where did the 9-kappa stuff come from? I'm definitely curious on that theory.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Panayiotis wrote:
What I don't like about this episode is that I feel that the show is recycling past plotpoits. We have already done the Hiro might die/transform if he continues to ride with 002 thing, in fact that was the main conflict of episode 6. In that episode, we saw that Hiro was beginning to transform, then he "died" and then he came back to life and recovered completely. Now after 6 weeks with no mention of it, we are returning to that conflict that was already resolved in my mind.

Yet, it is kind of different thematically. Hiro's earlier narrative was that he wanted to belong, which for him meant that he needed to be able pilot a Franxx to fit in with other kids and become a parasite. Hiro actually did not care very much that he was going to die, because that meant he gave his life for society like was mentioned at the ceremony for them to become parasites, he would have totally belonged. What changed though, was that he realized that he was not a alone in this topic, in that he would be leaving Zero Two behind and alone. It was here that he came to a decision that he could not be so selfish of just his needs, but his partner's too.

Hiro is still like that, but it really looks like the situation is going to pull it further the other way. While before it was going to mean Hiro belonging, I think it is going to mean Hiro transforming similar Zero Two in what I will for now call an Oni form. This will probably mean Hiro actually not belonging with society like before, but I think he is totally going to take it. Hiro has actually said he is totally attracted to Zero Two, up to and including her horns, her Klaxosaur/Oni traits. He likely was when he was a kid when she looked more monsterous, so his feelings are not going to change with whatever is about to happen to Zero Two, and with himself. He will accept being different to everyone else, and it is Zero Two this time who will need to learn to love herself.

Zero Two is a lonely red Oni, and the blue oni will happily sacrifice to make her not feel lonely.
Panayiotis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:02 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

Hiro is still like that, but it really looks like the situation is going to pull it further the other way. While before it was going to mean Hiro belonging, I think it is going to mean Hiro transforming similar Zero Two in what I will for now call an Oni form. This will probably mean Hiro actually not belonging with society like before, but I think he is totally going to take it. Hiro has actually said he is totally attracted to Zero Two, up to and including her horns, her Klaxosaur/Oni traits. He likely was when he was a kid when she looked more monsterous, so his feelings are not going to change with whatever is about to happen to Zero Two, and with himself. He will accept being different to everyone else, and it is Zero Two this time who will need to learn to love herself.

Zero Two is a lonely red Oni, and the blue oni will happily sacrifice to make her not feel lonely.

The problem with that theory is that it assumes a normal human world. In the world of Darling in the frankxx, Hiro is already not a part of the society. He is in a class called parasites, who are also genetically different than the ruling class and are only used as tools. I would argue that his social standing is lower than 002. It is not clear to me what Hiro is actually losing by transforming.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:28 pm Reply with quote
HIs part of society is exactly fitting into all of the propaganda that supposedly comes from Papa. Whether he lives in the city or not, him fulfilling the mission given by those who rule it. But there is also this specific line that has popped up a few times about being human, that Ichigo specifically called Zero Two inhuman, with Zero Two saying "what is even human to you people". We know that Zero Two wants to be human, and that she does see her Klaxosaur traits as something inhuman, that separates herself from everyone else, that she is a part of the monsters that are destroying humanity.

Our assumption has been that the adults are pure humans, and that the parasites could have perhaps be altered to not be quite human themselves. Although, matching the theme, we have seen what the adults live like, and there is something quite inhuman about it, that they have separate themselves from natural pleasures. They only thing they have left is an appearance of being human, things like partners because that was in the past, or there were snacks but they don't need it and can get the good feelings elsewhere. Hiro is going to lose that appearance, he will get his own horns or something, and all the other humans might think him looking at a monster makes him a monster, clearly some of the humans do think that about Zero Two.

But in transforming, Hiro will likely still have exactly what makes him human, that the adults lack, and it is actually something that this society turned its back on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 27 of 124