• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kannagi Creator Takenashi Undergoes Surgery, Recovers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:16 am Reply with quote
Carpal tunnel surgery is different and if your nondominant hand is involved dep on your line of work, you can go back to light duty. If it is the dominant hand and dep on line of work then it's different. Either way, it would be light duty of some kind or you don't get paid unless you use short term disability and your vacation time in the US.

The ability to go back to work dep on surgery, patient's status (pre surg and at discharge including use of narcotics) and ability to provide light duty on the employer's part. She has a desk job (light liftng requirements, low cardiac stress, blah, blah blah) so her ability to work is different than someone doing construction or factory line work.

But without knowing the surgery, it's all a theoretical arguement. It could be anything from a tonsillectomy to emergency Csection secondary to declining infant status (She was on bedrest.).
mufurc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:57 am Reply with quote
Jesus Christ, what does her actual illness matter? Are you so adamant on finding out Togashi Yoshihiro's mysterious illness as well? Or Hoshino Katsura's?

Whatever was the reason for her surgery, it's none of our business. If she doesn't want the public to know about it then you can "research" all you want, you won't find anything (well, unless you find the hospital she's treated at and bribe a nurse or something).
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:22 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
TatsuGero23 wrote:
Well, we might find out with later blogs by the artist but if it required surgery and it was so sudden then it was probably something like an unknown/undiagnosed tumor or growth or maybe even a blood clot which could explain her lack of being able to move. Or one of organs like a Kidney or the pancera needed removal.

You've been watching too much House, and you obviously have no background in medicine.

- abunai

I'll be the first to admit I have no medical background which was why I chose examples that occured within my family/extended family. Had an uncle die from a previous undiagnosed tumor that eventually took his life 8 months later. It spread so fast it was scary. A younger cousin and uncle have had emergency removals of non-esstential or duplicate organs. And the blood colting thing just sounded reasonable. Smile

The only thing I was actually offended by was you saying I watched House. That hurts man. That hurts.
tyciol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
I'm always amazed by how vulnerable the Japanese act when they're sick. They get a head cold and they're in bed for the day being waited on hand and foot, seemingly paralyzed. For the Japanese it's considered sanitary and curtius (especially the mask), but for an American it just seems weak and lazy.
I think the Japanese way makes sense. We focus way too much on appearing strong and being 'useful' even when we get others at work sick too, or when it negatively affects productivity and we end up losing work as a result of it. They work long hours in Japan, and I think they figure out the logic of the numbers on this one.

There's nothing badass about not wearing a mask, I think it's great how they wear masks. When I was taking a course in sanitation I kept asking why we shouldn't constantly do this around old people and it's to make them 'feel comfortable'. Whereas in Japan, they LOGICALLY feel more at ease around people who are protecting them from germs, not getting weirded out by it being a medical evironment.
inu-liger

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:21 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
abunai wrote:

Newsflash: the fact that something has become a news topic does not entitle the world to pry into everything. That is what privacy is all about.

- abunai

But it got waved when her surgery became a news story. Now it's just information to be researched. If she had wanted privacy, then she doesn't release the info alerting us to a surgery.

And people like you keep reminding me how this world keeps on deteriorating, even in this modern day of Generation 2.0 where people should be SMARTER and better informed, not continuing taking steps backwards into the Medieval Age of misinformation.

Anyways, haven't you learnt that there are reasons they have privacy laws relating to personal medical and financial information, and as a result non-disclosure agreements heavily stressed out in employment contracts to anyone who works in the medical industry (doctors, nurses, pharmacists etc.).

I'm going to ask you an uncomfortable yet theoretical question Hikaru004, and I'm going to assume you're a male (cos I don't know what your sex is...oh wait here you go, I'm going to demand you tell me if you're a guy or a girl! How about that for starters?):
If you had to have your testicles removed because you had an isolated cancer located right in that part of your body, because surgery was the only curable option, would you feel comfortable telling random strangers about your surgery?
I don't think I would, personally.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3