• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gainax controversial stance on the industry and fansubs.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lunatick

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:48 am Reply with quote
That can be the case with American otaku too, at least in some cases. If I really like a series, I will buy the DVD. I guess it is kind of a status symbol. There is something more valuable in having an actual physical legitimate copy than simply watching something that is pirated. However, the problem is this: DVDs can get scratched. DVDs can have crappy DRMware that doesn't let them play in my PS2 (not bitter, I promise). Fansubs will generally work fine unless your hard drive crashes but that's another issue entirely.

The other problem is that anime targets an audience that generally does not have a lot of disposable income. The problem may not be that they don't want to pay for DVDs, simply that they can't. And yet, being faithful nerds, we must find a way to watch our shows somehow Razz

Like others have said, though, if I find a show worth watching twice, I will generally buy the DVD. Generally, if I don't find a show worth watching a second time, I'll remove it from my hard drive (unless I forget ... heh.) But I view fansubbing as kind of like seeing if it is even worth buying on DVD. I'm not going to spend money on something I've never even seen, after all. But if I like it enough, I will buy it.
gasteropod

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:13 am Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
The UK release of Paranoia Agent isn't censored - though you're not the first person I've heard claim it is.
The episode that the BBFC had trouble with spoiler[(the one with the suicide club - anything with children and suicide is a red light as far as the BBFC is concerned)] is exactly the same length as all the other episodes and shows no signs of editing. All that happened was that the BBFC slapped an 18 certificate on that volume rather than the 12 or 15 that the other volumes got.

Because it says so on the BBFC website, it says it had to be cut by 1 min 20 secs. Here's the link:

http://bbfc.co.uk/website/Classified.nsf/0/F545F349E551DB8F802571450031ED83?OpenDocument
eaglestorm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:58 am Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:

Because, to be quite frank, they suck.

There was a link posted a while back to a "documentary" on YouTube (actually a poorly-edited and overlong rant, but still an illuminating watch) that was by a fan disgusted with the degradation of the fansub scene since the mid 90's. And he brought up numerous problems with the kinds of work these people do- cluttering the screen with liner notes, strict and confined translations of idioms and sayings that are awkward in English, alienating the casual viewer with things that English just doesn't parse, just skipping over things that are beyond their skills as a translator, and so forth.

Both yours and that youtube commentary's generalizations and conclusions are as credible as someone saying all fansubs are better.

There are good and there are bad fansubs, likewise with dubs/subs by the licensing companies. To lump all fansubs as 1 entity/group because some groups' releases are less than desirable will be no better than to state that all professional releases "suck" since 1 company's products are horrendous.

As for that commentator's view, that is nothing more than an elitist view - "old stuffs are better", "when we were young...", etc. You can always come up with numerous points to criticize for any given situation/thing in this world if you ignore everything and whatever doesn't prove your points.

For every good 90's fansub, there's probably an equal percentage of very decent fansubs now. Similarly with bad fansubs from the 90's. Anyone who think all fansubs from the 90's are of excellent quality are just deluding themselves. Everything is a matter of perspective, preferences and very relative.
TheTheory

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:59 am Reply with quote
gasteropod wrote:
Yeah exactly, it was like that on the fansub of Paranoia Agent I streamed, there's no way the official DVD will have all those ace subs in it. (I haven't bought it so far because the UK version is censored, and the US one is out of print).

The US one is out of print, yes. But RightStuf still has some in stock (current stock check says 196) at $99.98. I'd get in on that action if you have any interest because I suspect that once those are gone the only hope will be ebay and other such sites.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lee1981

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:31 pm Reply with quote
This has nothing to do with anime, but lets not forget that the Dark Knight made something like $300,000,000 so yeah, if you make something good, at least some people are going to buy it. So yeah, Gainex's stance probably isn't the worst one to have.

Back on topic, I can see where each side is coming from, but the simple fact of the matter is that downloading a file on the Internet in and of itself is not going to hurt the company. I can understand and respect their desire to control how their product is distributed, but you can't sit there and say that downloading something is the same thing as going into the store and stealing a DVD. And really, when you borrow a DVD from a friend, or you buy the DVD used, you're still not supporting the company because they're not getting anything out of you having watched the movie so it's not that different from downloading it off the Internet.

But at the same time, if you like something, you should buy it and you should support the company, because while downloading in and of itself isn't harmful, they still need to make money to stay in business and if you're not buying the movies then they're not making any money. Most of the anime I've seen, I've bought legitimately on DVD or I downloaded off of Xbox Live Marketplace, which is still supporting the companies who bring us the anime. If they're giving us that much entertainment then they should be compensated for it, so then they can bring us more of the stuff that we really like.

But then again--and this was not mentioned in this thread--a lot of anime isn't licensed so you don't have much choice but to download the fansubs. Trust me, I'd love to own legitimate DVD releases of Blue Sonnet, The Mermaid forest and Mermaid Scar OVAs, Laughing Target, but I can't because there are no US DVD releases; if someone ever does license those again then I'll buy them but for now fansubs are the only way to watch them. The Mermaid Forest and Mermaid Scar seem to have a pretty decent fanbase from what I've seen, so I don't know why a company doesn't license them and release them on DVD since at least some people like those animes, but as of right now there is no DVD release. I'd like to support the industry with the above mention animes, just like I'd like to support Sony for releasing the second half of Blood+ if they ever decide to do it, but right now I can't do it.

As for that Youtube fansub documentary, I can see where the guy is coming from, but his claims seem rather exaggerated as I haven't encountered a lot of what he is complaining about. In terms of accuracy, I really don't know whether fansubs are more accurate than DVD translations; I don't speak Japanese, so how would I know? In terms of picture and sound quality, that tends to very greatly from pretty good to almost unwatchable. I haven't seen too many pop-up culture notes in fansubs. I remember seeing one where they explained that a certain word meant something like "maid" or whatever in Japanese, and I really couldn't understand why they couldn't just use "maid" in the actual subtitles rather than doing that crap but I just don't see stuff like that too often, which is a good thing because I don't like a lot of crap popping up and having subtitles all over the place; it's distracting. Sometimes the subtitles seem to be pretty good; other times they might be a bit too wordy and sometimes they could use some proof-reading, but I haven't come across any that were nearly as bad as that guy makes them out to be. I have seen "nakama" a few times in fansubs, and I do know what the word means from the article about it on TV Tropes.org, but still, it does look stupid in English and they should've just translated it.
gasteropod

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:39 pm Reply with quote
TheTheory wrote:
The US one is out of print, yes. But RightStuf still has some in stock (current stock check says 196) at $99.98. I'd get in on that action if you have any interest because I suspect that once those are gone the only hope will be ebay and other such sites.

I think a hundred dollars for a 13-episode series is ridiculous (and that's before postage to England, where I'd be likely to get a large customs charge on top of that), but cheers. I believe it's available slightly cheaper than that on eBay and other such places though. I'll keep an eye out for a fair price.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Lee1981 wrote:
This has nothing to do with anime, but lets not forget that the Dark Knight made something like $300,000,000 so yeah, if you make something good, at least some people are going to buy it. So yeah, Gainex's stance probably isn't the worst one to have.

$900,000,000+ actually, and a bad example for two reasons:

1. WB made strong moves to prevent The Dark Knight from getting on the Internet before it was released (not exactly easy to do with anime, since it's aired in Japan long before any other country gets it)
2. Comparing anime with TV shows/movies is often a mistake. They bring in MILLIONS of viewers, whereas anime DVDs for whole series are lucky to bring in sales of ONE million (Death Note Vol. 1-5 only sold 500,000, for example). If a person decides to illegally watch a movie or TV show, the audience is so vast that his decision alone has less of an impact. Compare that to anime's smaller fanbase, where individual decisions have more effect. Also, companies that make said shows/movies have more money to put a stop to pirating than anime companies generally do.

Also, how do you make something "good"? It's a subjective term, and what may be a masterpiece in the creators' eyes can be garbage in the audience's eyes. Plus, some "masterpieces" get ignored all the time. It's easy to say "well, make good shows and you'll succeed" when you're doing well, but to those who've made shows that are generally well-accepted but still flopped, well they're not exactly nodding in agreement (if we're doing live-action comparison, Arrested Development is an obvious pick. Sure, some blame could go towards FOX's awful marketing, but it was a show that demanded you had seen almost every episode prior to truly understand some of the jokes, a rare move for a comedy series. Even The Office is more lenient on jokes that only make sense to those who are already fans. Almost everyone who's seen AD calls it excellent, but it still was a flop in terms of money/ratings.)

Note: Also, I prefer "nakama" in One Piece fansubs (not that my opinion on that matters ultimately, since I'm buying the DVDs and slightly prefer the Funimation dub so the subs' status won't affect me). It carries more meaning IMHO, and it almost seems silly to have spoiler[Luffy screaming "you're my friend!" to Nami, it's just unnatural-sounding. Hopefully the dub will find a reasonable way to do this.]
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:08 pm Reply with quote
eaglestorm wrote:
BellosTheMighty wrote:

Because, to be quite frank, they suck.

There was a link posted a while back to a "documentary" on YouTube (actually a poorly-edited and overlong rant, but still an illuminating watch) that was by a fan disgusted with the degradation of the fansub scene since the mid 90's. And he brought up numerous problems with the kinds of work these people do- cluttering the screen with liner notes, strict and confined translations of idioms and sayings that are awkward in English, alienating the casual viewer with things that English just doesn't parse, just skipping over things that are beyond their skills as a translator, and so forth.

Both yours and that youtube commentary's generalizations and conclusions are as credible as someone saying all fansubs are better.

There are good and there are bad fansubs, likewise with dubs/subs by the licensing companies. To lump all fansubs as 1 entity/group because some groups' releases are less than desirable will be no better than to state that all professional releases "suck" since 1 company's products are horrendous.

As for that commentator's view, that is nothing more than an elitist view - "old stuffs are better", "when we were young...", etc. You can always come up with numerous points to criticize for any given situation/thing in this world if you ignore everything and whatever doesn't prove your points.

For every good 90's fansub, there's probably an equal percentage of very decent fansubs now. Similarly with bad fansubs from the 90's. Anyone who think all fansubs from the 90's are of excellent quality are just deluding themselves. Everything is a matter of perspective, preferences and very relative.

My point was that their translation skills were not up to professional caliber which, I note with some interest, you didn't seem to object to.

And I believe the general quality of fansubs HAS gone down since the 90's, for two major reasons: First, it's a lot easier. I remember reading up on what fansubbing required back in the days of alt.fan.sailor-moon, and it talked about needing timed scripts and tapes or laserdiscs and having to rent a genlock from somewhere, etc. etc. Now, you pretty much need a episode transferred from someone's DVR to the net and some video editing software- many kinds of which are open-source or freeware. Now, removing barriers to entry doesn't diminish the number of good talents working in a hobbyist field, but it does mean that you get a lot of wannabes, no-talents, and don't-really-cares- people who would have been put off by the difficulty in acquiring just raws to work with in earlier years- who bring the average quality level down and make it difficult to find the good fansubs for the clutter.

The second reason is that the whole philosophy behind fansubbing has changed. It used to be about turning people on to new series, things that probably would never get picked up in the states, and certainly wouldn't get picked up without some fan support. Now... I can't, off the top of my head, name a SINGLE active group that is interested in bringing obscure unlicensed stuff to the fandom. Despite recent difficulties for the R1 industry, they still license nearly everything that's worth seeing, and a good number of things that aren't. But even then, the fansubbers aren't interested in the stuff that doesn't get picked up- they're too busy trying to outdo each other with Bleach or Naruto or One Piece or whatever the new hotness is this year. This is stuff that is ALREADY as big a hit in the states as it's going to be- it doesn't need any help.

I would go as far to say that fansubs themselves are outdated- a kind of a grey-market hobby that has outlived its usefulness by several years, and is now just leeching parasitically from the very thing it once claimed to support.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:02 pm Reply with quote
To Lee1981:

The Mermaid Forest OAVs have been released in Region 1. I know, because I bought all of them a few years ago.
Lee1981

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:10 am Reply with quote
I've seen a bootleg of the OVAs on Ebay and on another site, but no official DVDs. The TV series has been licensed and there is a box set for it. The OVAs were once licensed a long time ago and there have been VHS releases, but that license has expired and I don't have a VCR anymore.
eaglestorm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:54 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:

My point was that their translation skills were not up to professional caliber which, I note with some interest, you didn't seem to object to.

As a whole, no, the standards from fansubs are lower. However, there are a number of fansubs releases which I would say, rival and even surpasses the professional groups. These are the exceptions rather than the norm.

Quote:
...First, it's a lot easier. I remember reading up on what fansubbing required back in the days of alt.fan.sailor-moon, and it talked about needing timed scripts and tapes or laserdiscs and having to rent a genlock from somewhere, etc. etc. ...

Being harder to produce doesn't equate better quality. It's the ability of the individuals involved that determined how well it is done and I seriously don't see those from the 90's as being more capable.

Quote:
The second reason is that the whole philosophy behind fansubbing has changed. It used to be about turning people on to new series, things that probably would never get picked up in the states, and certainly wouldn't get picked up without some fan support. Now... I can't, off the top of my head, name a SINGLE active group that is interested in bringing obscure unlicensed stuff to the fandom. Despite recent difficulties for the R1 industry, they still license nearly everything that's worth seeing, and a good number of things that aren't. But even then, the fansubbers aren't interested in the stuff that doesn't get picked up- they're too busy trying to outdo each other with Bleach or Naruto or One Piece or whatever the new hotness is this year. This is stuff that is ALREADY as big a hit in the states as it's going to be- it doesn't need any help.

I beg to disagree on this point as well. You named the very well-known series, which from what I've seen, are only subbed by just a handful of groups each. Pretty much any series will have 1 or 2 groups subbing them including the obscure and less popular ones. The popular ones certainly doesn't need help, as you said but not all fansub groups only concentrate on just these. Just because the scope back then were much smaller doesn't make the fansubbers from the 90's more altruistic and/or well-intentioned. There are those who do and there are those who don't. Yesterday is no different from today.
Quote:
I would go as far to say that fansubs themselves are outdated- a kind of a grey-market hobby that has outlived its usefulness by several years, and is now just leeching parasitically from the very thing it once claimed to support.

Fansubs are always useful, regardless.

Without fansubs, I'd not be an anime fan. I follow fansubs closely to check out at least a couple of episodes of anything that looks even remotely interesting. Those that I like, I'll make a point to look for when they are released in my area. I would not purchase something just from the cover arts and the descriptions. Without fansubs for me to browse through the catalogs, I won't even bother buying any of them.

To me, this is no different than trialwares or game demos.

As for the "parasitical leechers", there are quite a number of those who would never buy anything. Without fansubs, they'll just migrate to some other forms of free entertainments. The X number of leechers are not equal to $X of unrealized profits. Without fansubs, the industry will make $0 of them. Industries love to use the numbers from piracy, etc as potential losses. They are NOT losses. Those are not potential customers in the 1st place. You can count everyone who had ever downloaded a fansub as a potential customer and you'll be dead wrong. Without fansubs, many of them won't even watch animes.

Yes, granted there are those who may be convinced to buy instead of leech if there are no fansubs but does anyone seriously believe that if all fansubs would to disappear tomorrow, the industry will miraculously prosper? You need something to draw people in and grab their interests. Getting rid of fansubs without having alternative ways of attracting new customers is certainly not the answer. The industry has to promote their wares to the uninitiated. Just crying about fansubs certainly will not increase their customer base.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:00 pm Reply with quote
To Lee1981:

I checked my dvds. Mermaid Forest was released by Geneon. So I guess the license is now in limbo but I imagine you should still be able to find them.

Also, Mermaid Scar is included. I think there are 4 volumes total.
Lee1981

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that's the 13-episode TV series and I've seen it and it's good Smile . I'm talking about a couple of OVAs that they had in the early 90s as part of some collection called Rumik World.

anime#175
anime#499

These OVAs are similar to the TV series and both stories have been retold in the TV series

In any case, staying on topic, regarding one of the other posts before this one, I got into anime not because of fansubs but because someone had lent me a couple of anime DVDs and then I went on and bought a few more, so while fansubs might not prevent everyone from buying, they're not completely necessary to get newer people into anime either, though I'm sure they might help from time to time. Smile
rinmackie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Now that I think of it, I think I've seen what you're talking about. A few years ago, I came across an old VHS tape of Mermaid Forest. I thought it was the same as on the dvds with some more eps added. But they must have remade it as a tv series.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:15 am Reply with quote
eaglestorm wrote:
As for the "parasitical leechers", there are quite a number of those who would never buy anything. Without fansubs, they'll just migrate to some other forms of free entertainments. The X number of leechers are not equal to $X of unrealized profits. Without fansubs, the industry will make $0 of them. Industries love to use the numbers from piracy, etc as potential losses. They are NOT losses. Those are not potential customers in the 1st place. You can count everyone who had ever downloaded a fansub as a potential customer and you'll be dead wrong. Without fansubs, many of them won't even watch animes.

Cases such as that of Lee1981 do exist, but I can't help but agree with everything written here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5