• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 06-18-08

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sakurin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
So my question is how and why did Nina have a dead spider in her ear? Ewwwww. Hope it didn't lay eggs.

I was wondering the same thing myself.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Oh that was funny!!
Good thing I did read the first vol. of that series (good series I might add) if I hadn't I wouldn't have gotten the joke.

Good one.
billyarnie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Batman3777 wrote:
Priceless. The backgrounds were moody and brooding, all to end in that perfect gross-out scene. I swear, if this was published in the sunday funnies I'd start reading them again! Laughing

I still read the Sunday funnies, & at the top of my list is "MyCage" by Ed Power & Melissa DeJesus. Melissa uses the manga style like Robin; but Robin is talented enough to vary her style for parodies like "Mushi-Shi". Excellent as usual; sorry I can't make New York. I'll be lucky to get registered for San Japan 1.5 in August where I live; really lucky!

Edited to add: I checked the guest list for NYAF. Besides the sweet JPEG of Nina (since Robin must be camera-shy), there was a JPEG of the latest album cover by MC Pee Pants... uhh, mc chris. Man, it sucks to not have big bucks for NYC!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:
I can't say I've ever had to live with one in my ear, but a yellowjacket wasp once went up my nose and I'm sure I never saw it come out.

WHAT? WHAAT?! o_O *shudder*

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing *Rolls around on the floor, holding stomach while laughing uncontrollably*

Wow, that really picked up my mood after reading further details about possibly imperiled Tokyopop titles! Yeah, I gotta agree, what is up with the wasp story, man? Actually, maybe I don't wanna know....

teh*darkness: I really liked your association of the presence of rain and a spider in the comic with the "Itsy Bitsy Spider" song. That's sweet! Personally, I just assumed that she was hearing rain because Kevin kept trying to pour water in her ear to get the spider out, or something like that. Another great comic, Robin! The "serious manga style" looks great, and makes the "comedic manga style" even funnier in the last panel!
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Hilarious. Absolutely perfect Mushi-shi spoof. Of course, thinking of dead spiders in my ear won't help me get to sleep, but hey Laughing
jetz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:11 am Reply with quote
Laughing Nice one this week Laughing I like how the story is already funny, but the art style added some humor into it too. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:07 am Reply with quote
Note that in Japanese, the word for spider, 蜘, and the word for cloud, 雲, are both "kumo" in romaji. My dictionary gives "mushi" meaning "insect or worm" as 虫, while the "mushi" in Mushi-shi is 蟲, composed of three of the simple mushi characters.
Treetastic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:29 am Reply with quote
Beni_Hime wrote:
Ah! Spiders in the ear.... Yes! It can happen to anyone of us! Terrifying, but true. Check out this article: http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/kgw_050607_news_spider_earache.3faa8ff4.html

But, I think i'd rather find a spider in my ear than think about the true percentage of spiders the average person swallows each night in their sleep... When that happens, you can't really be sure how many charlolets went down the hatch! However upsetting it is to find a spider in one's ear... atleast, you have the ability to get it out!! heh heh..

I've never had a spider in my ear, but I do go deaf in my right ear when it rains. It's not mushi, though... it's air pressure.

Loved the comic by the way. I'll have to show it to my friends now. Smile
eviltimes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:58 am Reply with quote
It was Khan! He put creatures, in our bodies...
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:08 pm Reply with quote
In best Kirk voice.

KHAAAAAN!

I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist after the above poster mentioned it. Bugs in the ears are a classic and, eerily enough, realistic fear. With Nina having such large ears, it's not surprising something crawled in.

Also, speaking of Star Trek references. Are News Elves like Ferengi when it comes to their ears? Twisted Evil
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:01 pm Reply with quote
LOL Mushishi was the last series I would ever expect parodied on a webcomic! This was great!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I remember, as a young lad, waking up to the sight of a large cave, or wolf spider sitting on my top sheet laying on my chest and staring back at me with 4 of it's 8 eyes. It couldn't have been more than 6 inches away from my nose. I immediately froze, drew a deep breath, then blasted it clean off my bed into the fireplace in my room. I was sorry afterwords because that seemed to kill it. Robin you are good at changing your style to suite the plot. You're a very talented young lady. Keep up the good work. One thing though, I would have never considered to pour water into an ear before firstly examining the ear with a torch light, and certainly not whilst the patient is still in her own bed, or using a tea pot. But then how did a dead spider get into her ear in the first place? Laughing
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:47 pm Reply with quote
That was a very funny, and pretty ingenious, spoof on Mushishi, hitting the mystical and wonderment tones of the story...and then the ending (gotta love the double meaning, too). Anime exclamation

On a separate note, I remember seeing that pitcher trick before, only it involved pouring the water through one nostral and out the other (or something like that). I think it had something to do with stress release....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:07 pm Reply with quote
atlanime wrote:
Notice how the elves in anime are the only ones who have really long ears? All other elves in either RPGs, Tolkien stories, or Christmas specials all just have slightly pointy ears.

Video games, however....or comics....
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
In best Kirk voice.

KHAAAAAN!

I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist after the above poster mentioned it. Bugs in the ears are a classic and, eerily enough, realistic fear. With Nina having such large ears, it's not surprising something crawled in.

Also, speaking of Star Trek references. Are News Elves like Ferengi when it comes to their ears? Twisted Evil

You're sick Richard because I know EXACTLY where you're going with that. Laughing You should be ashamed of yourself heh. You know Nina would never suspect a thing either. Such a pervert. I wonder if Robin modeled another character there after you.... Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4