• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Boy Dies After Imitating Naruto in Sandbox

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:50 pm Reply with quote
washapa wrote:
In response to the U.S. Anime industry being scapegoated for this child's actions and resultant death

Ummm, where do you see the anime industry being scapegoated or blamed?

Seriously, it was stated that he was imitating something he saw in an anime. That's not synonymous with saying that the anime was to blame.

Everyone who thinks that there will be significant fallout needs to wakeup. Of course some idiots are going to blame anime, but no one but other idiots will listen to them. This isn't a case where the industry is going to have to do any damage control.

-t
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:51 pm Reply with quote
R.I.P. That is all I can say.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I take that back...I think I've only cried about kids in cases of abuse and murder itself.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:56 pm Reply with quote
tasogarenootome wrote:
I think people need to stop getting so hyper over "ZOMG anime's gonna get banned/scapegoated". That's not even important right now as those people I'm sure are more focussed on getting through the day. IF some action should be taken against Viz/Cartoon Network/whatever, then it'll happen and they'll deal with it how they see fit at that time.

This is an anime forum, not an "accidental child death of the day" forum. It's perfectly natural for this community to show concern for the industry. If I want to share my condolences I'll share them with the family, not on an anime forum.

Spotlesseden wrote:
Perhaps some anime is not fit for the American culture. For reason those things always happen in U.S., not UK, Japan, China or Canada.

Huh? This type of stuff does happen in Japan and parts of Europe and has been reported here numerous time. Do you even know the dark history of the word otaku? There have been dozens of anime related cases of people killing themselves or others around the world, many of them in just the last 10 years. This isn't a new phenomenon that's only associated with America.

Emerje

Last edited by Emerje on Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this is not a US only phenomenon. You're just going to hear about those because that happens to be where we are. Just because you're not hearing about it doesn't mean it isn't happening elsewhere.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:04 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
Yes, we know the child died, everyone has read the friggin article and knows that.

I mean, I'm not going to cry myself a whole river because of a little kid that I didn't know. I don't even cry that badly when a relative dies (and I don't know that person). I've also lost friends and family, so I can sympathize ONLY with the feeling of losing a loved one.

And yes, I'm going to be concerned about the status of anime, because you would not imagine how many times I've seen a series, or had my little cousins around, and my godparents used to tell me not to let them watch it because it was demonic and would influence them to do evil things. But really....Is that it...?

My general issue is that no matter how we try to make things better, it's always getting tons worse. I remember when the internet was becoming a hellhole because parents blamed the internet for not protecting their children from child predators. Considering that an inanimate object cannot completely educate a human child, I say, wtf.

Or when kids play in the pool alone and end up drowning themselves. >.>;

I said there should have been supervision from the start, and only because there were younger kids around. What if the 10 year old and another kid went off somewhere, leaving the other kids behind?

Trust me, I could care less how many times people have said that it's the parent's fault. It's happening way too frequently, and it feels like an epidemic. It's not like they will come across this forum and hear us anyway. Give it a few days or so, we'll forget and move on to the next thread.

Yeah, seriously. I hate vague news reports. >_>;

Lacking empathy isn't something to brag about.

To those of you bringing up that supervision may have prevented this, while this is true, how many of you were constantly supervised at the age of ten? A fifth-grader can go in his backyard and be trusted to play in the sandbox without having to be watched. The fault doesn't lie with the parents, and it's unfair to blame it on a lack of supervision.

This is nobody's fault. It's tragic indeed, but I can't say that anyone is to blame. What I'm most surprised about is how people care more about television than this kid dying in an accident. It's just plain ignorance if you think that anime will be destroyed because of incidents like these, blaming the child and his parents for something that likely couldn't have been prevented. To all of you who fit this, stop being so self-centered and think about the others.

There isn't a chance that Japanese animation will be banned from the airwaves because of this. These people just lost their son. Try thinking about someone else for a change.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

This is an anime forum, not an "accidental child death of the day" forum. It's perfectly natural for this community to show concern for the industry.

I understand and appreciate what you're saying, it just seems like everytime something like this happens, all these posts pop up fretting over all these meteoric adverse effects this will have on the US anime industry when it's something that just happened and most people outside that area and this forum probably won't even hear this story. That's all.
MrVince

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:

Whatever happened to doing this kind of thing to your GI Joe or little plastic army men?

and

Emerje wrote:

Do you even know the dark history of the word otaku? There have been dozens of anime related cases of people killing themselves or others around the world. This isn't a new phenomenon that's only associated with America.

Ashen Phoenix addressed what I thought of when I read the article. Before GI Joe or even Speed Racer (to address Emerje's otaku history lesson) came out in the 1960s, kids in the 1950s jumped off buildings to imitate Superman. Kids dying from imitating fiction is not new, coming before the words anime and otaku were commonly used in Japan.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Toto wrote:

Whoever said I was lacking? Take it how you want of course, it is teh interwebs.

Mr. Toto wrote:

To those of you bringing up that supervision may have prevented this, while this is true, how many of you were constantly supervised at the age of ten? A fifth-grader can go in his backyard and be trusted to play in the sandbox without having to be watched.

As far as that goes, there were younger kids with him. They never specified the ages, but the fact that there were younger kids is of concern to me. I'm not saying that you can't leave your kids alone all the time, but I highly believe it should have been wise too. I'm sure "OH, IT'S OKAY, WE'VE DONE IT PLENTY OF TIMES, NOTHING WILL HAPPEN!!"

....That story rests my case.

Mr. Toto wrote:

What I'm most surprised about is how people care more about television than this kid dying in an accident.

o_o oh, really? do we?

Mr. Toto wrote:

It's just plain ignorance if you think that anime will be destroyed because of incidents like these, blaming the child and his parents for something that likely couldn't have been prevented. To all of you who fit this, stop being so self-centered and think about the others.

There isn't a chance that Japanese animation will be banned from the airwaves because of this. These people just lost their son. Try thinking about someone else for a change.

You seem to be looking for a "Great deal of sympathy." I'm not going to sit down and cry for this kid. We hear deaths on television every day, and this is minor compared to most of what I saw.

Point is, the child did ask for his head to be put in the sand. Actions that he caused led to his death. Parents were not supervising the children when it happened. So each are partially to blame. It was a simple accident that could've been prevented.

And no, there are times where you cannot watch your children, or just don't. I realize that, but considering what happens every day, I would be a little more cautious. I know their kicking themselves in the asses. This forum will lead on with its discussion.

I see it as how it happened, whether you feel if it affects me greatly or little shouldn't be of any importance to you. I think you just misunderstood my whole post. But meh, whatever.

And please, don't assume that people *aren't* concerned about the kid's death.

Last edited by tygerchickchibi on Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
dizzywulf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:19 pm Reply with quote
That's really terrible, sad news.
Lemwon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Toto wrote:

To those of you bringing up that supervision may have prevented this, while this is true, how many of you were constantly supervised at the age of ten? A fifth-grader can go in his backyard and be trusted to play in the sandbox without having to be watched. The fault doesn't lie with the parents, and it's unfair to blame it on a lack of supervision.

This is nobody's fault. It's tragic indeed, but I can't say that anyone is to blame. What I'm most surprised about is how people care more about television than this kid dying in an accident. It's just plain ignorance if you think that anime will be destroyed because of incidents like these, blaming the child and his parents for something that likely couldn't have been prevented. To all of you who fit this, stop being so self-centered and think about the others.

Thank's for posting this. As I've said previously, this is a tragic accident that could happen to virtually any child in the world. It isn't about Darwinism, the industry, the "stupidness" of the child, or the ignorance of the adults involved in this; it's a tragic loss for the family, friends and community. I'm glad the comments about the child's "stupidness" have pretty much stopped; but it's unfortunate that it took little Codey's death to stop them.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Such a sad, sad story. My heart goes out to his family and friends.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:23 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

Everyone who thinks that there will be significant fallout needs to wakeup. Of course some idiots are going to blame anime, but no one but other idiots will listen to them. This isn't a case where the industry is going to have to do any damage control.

-t

But this comes on the heels of a Naruto-related death threat and an attempt to link Naruto to another death threat (Dakota Gates incident). Also Death Note has had numerous "notes" and suspension related to notes and a murder case loosely linked to it in Belgium.

Makes you wonder what's up with these 2 titles and the people watching them.
feytaline

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This isn't the time to be making sick jokes or worrying about the fallout to the anime industry. This young boy's family has just suffered an unimaginable loss and his playmates are going to be dealing with the scars from this incident for a long, long time. Can we please show a little decorum for once, people? I'm beginning to feel ashamed of being an anime fan.

My thoughts are with Codey's family and friends.

I'd just like to reiterate page one.

People may freak out for a while. Naruto might be the scapegoat, but it is just as likely it might be absentee parents who didn't monitor what the children were watching; and then the world'll get over it. Some other horrible, tragic thing will happen, or Britney'll have another kid or do drugs or something, and the media will pounce on that.

Because sorrow is no longer a human emotion, it's entertainment. A young death is no longer a family tragedy, it's something for immature animu fans to bitch about because they fear their favorite show might be slandered on Fox News, or taken off of Cartoon Network, feh, like most of them haven't downloaded it way past the current CN season already.

Sorry. That's bitchy of me, but I feel sick reading some of the comments on this thread. You're entitled to your own opinion, there's mine.
PonSquared

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:33 pm Reply with quote
What move was the kid trying to do? Desert Coffin? I guess it really works... -_-;;
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9