• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Death Note Films' U.S. Premieres at Newport Beach Fest

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Super Ska Master

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I read the manga. The only scenes they did were the parts with L's TV broadcast and the thing with Raye Penbar. I don't remember Light having a girlfriend in the manga. I don't remember Raye's fiance shooting light's 'girlfriend'. I don't remember Rem NOT dying for saving Misa's life. I wanted a good adaptation, not a crappilly acted movie with a bad script, bad CG, badly casted characters that look NOTHING like the ones in the manga, etc. The only good casting role is L. And Misa has BLONDE hair! They couldn't even dye it for the movie? Christ! The whole thing was half-assed. At least the anime is amazing. I didn't get to finish the second movie. I only got maybe 20 minutes into it.
ANBUx3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Super Ska Master wrote:
spoiler[Yeah, I read the manga. The only scenes they did were the parts with L's TV broadcast and the thing with Raye Penbar. I don't remember Light having a girlfriend in the manga. I don't remember Raye's fiance shooting light's 'girlfriend'. I don't remember Rem NOT dying for saving Misa's life. I wanted a good adaptation, not a crappilly acted movie with a bad script, bad CG, badly casted characters that look NOTHING like the ones in the manga, etc. The only good casting role is L. And Misa has BLONDE hair! They couldn't even dye it for the movie? Christ! The whole thing was half-assed. At least the anime is amazing. I didn't get to finish the second movie. I only got maybe 20 minutes into it.]

I went ahead and spoilered your whole post for you, since you don't mind dropping a few details DN newcomers aren't keen on. Smile
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Super Ska Master wrote:
Yeah, I read the manga. The only scenes they did were the parts with L's TV broadcast and the thing with Raye Penbar. I don't remember Light having a girlfriend in the manga. I don't remember Raye's fiance shooting light's 'girlfriend'. I don't remember Rem NOT dying for saving Misa's life. I wanted a good adaptation, not a crappilly acted movie with a bad script, bad CG, badly casted characters that look NOTHING like the ones in the manga, etc. The only good casting role is L. And Misa has BLONDE hair! They couldn't even dye it for the movie? Christ! The whole thing was half-assed. At least the anime is amazing. I didn't get to finish the second movie. I only got maybe 20 minutes into it.

.......Um...that girl, his girlfriend, was in the manga too.... The bus incident, my friend. They just played off of it.

Oh, I'll just go ahead and add this for you. Misa was a model in the anime and manga; she's a singer/idol in the movie.... Who cares what color her hair is anyway.... (the did the same thing to Usagi in the live-action Sailor Moon; Minako, too; oh, Ami, too.....oh and Luna in that...that was BAD Cg.)

Let's think WHY there are so many differences. The movie is BASED (not a direct application) upon the manga. Many things are different, but no matter what you say or what you think there are many of us who still like and/or prefer the movie. Sure, the manga is ALWAYS better (being the original and all), but that doesn't discount the movie as worse. Take it as a separate entity and go read the Death Note pilot manga to hold a chance at argueing with me. Things change.

The anime is 'meh' to me probaby because I know what's going to happen. It's okay, but why watch the anime when I can read the manga? Truthfully, I was plesently happy that the movie wasn't a direct application of the manga.

The end of the 2nd movie has a trick to it. You missed the best part. I <3 movie2's ending.

About the acting...do you even understand Japanese to understand the movie at all? ...or did you watch it RAW with no subtitles...? I found the acting put together pretty well...sure some parts were stale but its better than some other Japanese movies. Maybe I just have better preception of the acceptance b/w manga to liveaction characters (dude I own the Tokyo Babylon live action movie, I should know what I'm talking about here).

...and Japanese movie CG is always like that....has been for years (don't know why considering the great video games). I think they did pretty well considering the interaction principle of it all. They're Shinigami anyway; who says they're not SUPPOSED to look like that, eh?

How old are you anyway? 12? It seems so whether true or not...you're acting like a child: "I don't like it, so it sux!" as you say. Get an open mind or get over it.

Yeah and I agree with ANBUx3's idea; use spoiler quotes when you divulge a plot like you did....
Nexcion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:18 am Reply with quote
I'm actually looking forward to seeing this come to America. If not in theatres, I hope they at least release it on DVD.

I've seen both the movies, and I thought they were pretty well done. I think you have to look at the movie as solely a movie, and not compare with other works, such as the manga or anime. Just look at is as a movie as though it wasn't based on the manga. I know it's difficult, but it might give people a different perspective.

Overall, quite enjoyable, despite some flaws.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HellKorn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:43 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Hellkorn: Nah, don't feel ashamed. DN's overrated, but passable entertainment.

Heh, well, my question was a bit of a rhetorical one, as I've been under the "DEATH NOTE IS ASTONISHINGLY OVERRATED" banner for months, maybe even a year depending on when the manga finished (I was one of those that followed it along as it came out... which made reading Part Two even more of a chore than it already is). Since I've heard the direction and script ain't exactly the most wonderfully composed pieces in cinema in recent years, to put it lightly, my only real desire to see the two films is for Ryuk in CGI and a different ending that isn't as contrived as the manga (presumably the anime as well, since Madhouse is going for a straight adaption, which I'm actually enjoying more, oddly enough).

GATSU wrote:
No one knows who currently has the rights. For now, it's technically Warner Bros., but I wouldn't be surprised if Viz got them. (Assuming they can negotiate for that Chili Peppers song without losing an arm and a leg,,,)

Well, it depends on who they go through. Geneon USA was able to keep Radiohead's "Paranoid Android," but I think that is in part to not actually going through the music label but the band themselves. Dunno how the RHCP's would work with that...

Super Ska Master wrote:
I didn't want the shitty movies to get brought over here. They are complete crap compared to the manga and anime.

It's not as if the original material is the pinnacle of perfection. Give those of us an option who aren't ga-ga over the new flavor of the season known as Death Note. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3