• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: CLAMP's Magic Knight Rayearth Manga Gets New Anime Project

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 1:31 am Reply with quote
pi8you wrote:
Really though, if studios are gonna revisit older titles, I'd rather see more Bastard's- giving the proper series treatment to stories that only ever got an OVA (looking at you, Battle Angel Alita and Gunsmith Cats).

Those two would be fantastic to see, I'd love it if we finally got bigger adaptations for both of those.
I backed that kickstarter mainly in the hopes that it would lead to Gunsmith Cats coming back, even though it ended up as more of a mix thing.

Amritzer wrote:
Fun fact: I was the one who added all the characters, and 99% pictures for Iczer titles on MAL.

Oh, nice!

And I just saw you mentioned Crest of the Stars earlier, that would be really cool too.
Glordit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 1:56 am Reply with quote
Amritzer wrote:
How about Ah! My Goddess! ?

Or Crest of Stars?

Ah! Megumi-sama remake would be amazing!!
Sasuke149

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 2:08 am Reply with quote
OMG OMG THIS IS THE BEST NEWS I GOT THIS YEAR HELL YEAH!!!!!!
Is this it??? Are we finally getting some good Clamp adaptation? Can this be it????? Please God! I hope they capture Clamp's magic on the screen this time. PLEEEEAAASEEEE!!!
(BTW the only Clamp anime I consider remotely good is the TRC Tokyo Revelations OVA)

Also still waiting for that Tokyo Babylon adaptation from a different studio...
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 2:19 am Reply with quote
I think I have the same reaction every time one of these remake projects is announced: "Cool. If I watch this I'll find the original one." As it turns out I have Discotek's release of said original sitting on my (massive) backlog pile.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 2:42 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I think I have the same reaction every time one of these remake projects is announced: "Cool. If I watch this I'll find the original one." As it turns out I have Discotek's release of said original sitting on my (massive) backlog pile.

Discotek has been having quite a bit of success lately cause they started out as a company to license older retro and unwanted titles that the other big companies did not think would bring in much investiment.

Now that business model is paying off as in the last decade or so many older classic shows have been getting more remakes/sequals and it has been driving the sales of those older shows a lot in anticipation of people wanting to see the new product not to mention bringing in the older fans to buy em for nostalgia.

Ah My Goddess is def one i can see will have some new anime project coming along soon as it is approaching its 40th anniversary in a few more years and it is already the 10th anniversary since the manga ended. which i hope it will too.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 2:48 am Reply with quote
Rayearth holds a very dear place in my heart as one of the earliest not-on-broadcast-TV anime I saw (and knew as anime) and also one of the earliest manga I purchased (back in the Mixx days). I'm not really sure how I feel about this announcement though. I've been disappointed by more remakes than delighted lately.

The first anime series added a fair bit to the manga that worked in its favor (world building Cephiro and adding Inouva), but the second added a lot that dragged on way too much for the source material (new major villains, omitting plots). I wonder if they're doing something based on the manga or the anime, because the stories are pretty different. Especially the second series.

Maybe I'm weird, but I'm most hoping for the video games to be rereleased. Would love to have the Saturn or Game Gear RPGs on modern consoles for the anniversary.
AmericanGiven

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 2:57 am Reply with quote
So many old anime are coming back lately.
mgree0032

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:05 am Reply with quote
If this gets an English dub, which dub voice cast are they using?
Yuukiwr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:22 am Reply with quote
i really hope shana is next.
It deserve a more faithfull adaption.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:46 am Reply with quote
Personally, I wish they'd do a full RG Veda adaptation.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 4:05 am Reply with quote
I played the SNES game, but never actually watched the anime, so this should make for a good watch. Though really I should just watch my DVDs of the original Laughing

With all these remakes, I'd love to see a full adaptation of Crest/Banner of the Stars too =D

Speaking of, I wouldn't mind more space stories in general. Irresponsible Captain Tylor wasn't a complete adaptation, so maybe we can start there Laughing
BlueCatMage

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 4:34 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I like to believe anything is possible considering how much I always thought it impossible for Fruit Basket, for example, to ever get a sequel or remake, and then it magically happened.

So, one of my biggest anime hopes right now is if classic animes from the 80's and 90's are truly now getting anniversary remakes, please - for the love of God - give us the original Escaflowne storyline Shoji Kawamori really wanted to make!

And maybe oneday, it might be nice to see Fushigi Yuugi Genbu Kaiden made into an anime.
Nodz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 5:05 am Reply with quote
Amritzer wrote:
Now I wonder what will they bring back next?

Digimon Tamers?
Escaflowne?
Yu Yu Hakusho?

I saw on X that there could be Jigoku Sensei Nube remake.

I'd love to see a 3x3 Eyes complete adaptation.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 5:15 am Reply with quote
Amritzer wrote:
Now I wonder what will they bring back next?

Digimon Tamers?
Escaflowne?
Yu Yu Hakusho?

I saw on X that there could be Jigoku Sensei Nube remake.

Those top 2 are anime original and YYH basically had a full adaptation. I'd hope for something that never got to complete the manga storyline.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 5:16 am Reply with quote
Season one of the anime added a lot of filler I felt didn't add much. Season 2 on the other hand, greatly expanded on the new characters who had bit parts in the manga. I also like the expanded focus on Hikaru and Lantis. But the manga definitely had a happier ended. So I enjoy both versions together. Love the OVA too. I'll gladly take more Rayearth no matter the form.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5