• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why is Yuri Anime So Popular Now?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joker#941490

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 3:00 pm Reply with quote
the funny is addressing Lycoris Recoil and G-Witch as both yuri while they aren't really that even the staff that worked on it didn't had the intention of it to be that

director adachi stated that he just wanted it to be your typical serious action anime and thought it as "an anime that makes you feel dark after watching it is not really wanted nowadays"
https://febri.jp/topics/lycoris_recoil_int1_1/

while the producer of g-witch had said " From there, the staff discussed the idea of setting Gundam: The Witch From Mercury in a school. They hoped that the teen audience would be able to identify with characters who don't personally feel impacted by large-scale political events at first.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Joker#941490 wrote:
the funny is addressing Lycoris Recoil and G-Witch as both yuri while they aren't really that even the staff that worked on it didn't had the intention of it to be that

director adachi stated that he just wanted it to be your typical serious action anime and thought it as "an anime that makes you feel dark after watching it is not really wanted nowadays"
https://febri.jp/topics/lycoris_recoil_int1_1/

while the producer of g-witch had said " From there, the staff discussed the idea of setting Gundam: The Witch From Mercury in a school. They hoped that the teen audience would be able to identify with characters who don't personally feel impacted by large-scale political events at first.

Maybe I'm missing some context but I fail to see how those very general descriptions of the shows' overall tone/structure would preclude having a lesbian relationship between the leads.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 10:38 pm Reply with quote
So, like 3 or 4 Yuri titles are streamed in the West, and we are supposed to believe this is some major trend among western anime fans?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 1:50 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
So, like 3 or 4 Yuri titles are streamed in the West, and we are supposed to believe this is some major trend among western anime fans?

None of this is about western fans? It's about yuri anime as a whole
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 6:30 am Reply with quote
Joker#941490 wrote:

Yeah, the Gundam staff just... made like a billion references to Revolutionary Girl Utena and ended the first episode with a gay engagement, completely by accident. And this coincidentally helped to modernize a long-running franchise by following recent trends. How unintentionally serendipitous of them.

I don't get why comments like this are so common. Part of it could be because of the numerous vague examples like Madoka, or fan shipping of genuinely-non-canon couples (which are same-gender more often than not), both of which may have created some reflexive dismissiveness. But going in the comments of an article about yuri anime to argue that the examples they're talking about aren't actually yuri (even the ones that could hardly be any less subtle) feels like a political statement of some sort.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3