• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shogakukan Lists Pluto Animated Series With Netflix Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KaidoYuji8Shinji

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:29 am Reply with quote
This looks really cool! Can’t wait to see it! I wonder how long it will be?
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:01 am Reply with quote
AsleepBySunset wrote:
The boy in the raincoat looks cgi (or at the very least rotoscoped cg)

Jesus, you're squinting your eyes really hard if that's your impression. This is gonna be like Chainsaw Man all over again, where people can't even see any kind of smooth motion without immediately assuming some sort of rotoscoping was involved.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:05 am Reply with quote
TheSleepyMonkey wrote:
AsleepBySunset wrote:
The boy in the raincoat looks cgi (or at the very least rotoscoped cg)

Jesus, you're squinting your eyes really hard if that's your impression. This is gonna be like Chainsaw Man all over again, where people can't even see any kind of smooth motion without immediately assuming some sort of rotoscoping was involved.
I heard that happened with the riot scene in Jin-Roh, where the key-animator produced such smooth animation, people assumed it was rotoscoped. I guess the cut was shot on 1s.
ebronstein

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:53 pm Reply with quote
AsleepBySunset wrote:
The boy in the raincoat looks cgi (or at the very least rotoscoped cg), it looks like they went for cgi which imitates 2d with 2d backgrounds. The people saying this would be CG got vindicated IMO.

You call him "the boy in the raincoat"? Do you honestly not know who the "boy" in the raincoat is?
AsleepBySunset

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:19 pm Reply with quote
ebronstein wrote:
AsleepBySunset wrote:
The boy in the raincoat looks cgi (or at the very least rotoscoped cg), it looks like they went for cgi which imitates 2d with 2d backgrounds. The people saying this would be CG got vindicated IMO.

You call him "the boy in the raincoat"? Do you honestly not know who the "boy" in the raincoat is?

What's your point? I haven't watched/read pluto or monster and I don't really want any spoilers anyway.
bassgs435

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:40 pm Reply with quote
AsleepBySunset wrote:

What's your point? I haven't watched/read pluto or monster and I don't really want any spoilers anyway.

This is an spin-off of Astro Boy/Tetsuwan Atom, one of the most famous and earliest anime classics. And this boy is Astro/Atom himself. Even with Urusawa's style, you should recognize him
ebronstein

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:59 pm Reply with quote
bassgs435 wrote:
AsleepBySunset wrote:

This is an spin-off of Astro Boy/Tetsuwan Atom, one of the most famous and earliest anime classics. And this boy is Astro/Atom himself. Even with Urusawa's style, you should recognize him

Thank You.
Cho_Desu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:47 am Reply with quote
bassgs435 wrote:
AsleepBySunset wrote:

Eh, I don't know if I'd say this boy in a raincoat is so immediately recognizable as Astro Boy. Even setting aside the different outfit, his trademark pointy triangle hair (which I'm only now realizing is super reminiscent of old-school Mickey Mouse ears) isn't visible, assuming he still retains that hairstyle at all in this version.
Dayraven

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:
assuming he still retains that hairstyle at all in this version.

The Pluto manga makes it look like bedhead rather than giant solid spikes, and the other character designs shown are direct enough translations of the manga that I’ll guess it’ll stay that way.

(I like what Urasawa does with the human and human-looking characters from the original, feels like it’s still them despite the much less stylised designs.8
@ASAnime6

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:40 pm Reply with quote
bassgs435 wrote:
AsleepBySunset wrote:

the boy looked nothing like astro to me and I didn't know it was astro until your comment
lumenotaku

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:49 am Reply with quote
loved the manga can;t wait for this
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:03 pm Reply with quote
That sneak peak was absolutely gorgeous.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3