• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Batman Voice Actor Kevin Conroy Passes Away at 66

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adv193

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:39 pm Reply with quote
After 30 years since that show began this happens. I also grew up with Batman TAS and have seen other bits of his works through Justice League, movies and video games namely Injustice

R.I.P. to the only other actor who spent a large amount of time with this role other than Adam West.
Guile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Conroy was one of my favorite Batman voice actors. He also had a really nice singing voice which gave us this classic from Justice League

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJD-yUcFVbM
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Batman will go on, but I do not envy the actor who will try to fill this role. Conway owned it and always will. What he absolutely nailed was the difference between Bruce and Bats. Of all the actors who've played the role, both live action and animated, it feels like he's the only one who really bothered to make them distinct personalities, rather than Batman playing Bruce or Bruce playing Batman.

Thanks, Guile, for the clip. I don't know the context, but it was interesting that he seemed to be performing at a club exclusively for older men. Smile

It's good to know he knew how we feel about him. Watch it while you can!
https://twitter.com/RealKevinConroy/status/1534593267152691200
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Cartoons like Batman: The Animated Series and Justice League got me into superheroes and kept me on the TV where I eventually found anime. Kevin's work is a fond piece of my childhood, and I'm happy that he was able to turn the pain in his life into so much joy for others, and through that himself. May he rest in peace.
Adv193

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:34 am Reply with quote
At least an additional memory is that my early watching of his work helped me break out of the influence of the Adam West version (which originally aired back when TV entertainment focused on family entertainment only) and help me understand the truth depths of Batman's character which helped me eventually read comics.

So aside from anime and manga I like reading comic book collections mainly from DC and Marvel and some occasional extra sources such as IDW and their work with their current work with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles including releasing as much of the older comics as they can.
Maciste

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:41 am Reply with quote
Rest in peace, Dark Knight...
Multi-Facets

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:25 am Reply with quote
I liked Mr. Conroy best in "Batman: Beyond," though the initial '92 cartoon was cool, and so were his guest appearances in "Static Shock."

Rest well, sir, in Peace or Power, whichever you'd like. Many wishes to his husband and relatives for healing.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:46 pm Reply with quote
His final role might be in Batman: Caped Crusader if WB is willing to sell the show after kicking it of HBO Max. Netflix and Hulu were in a bidding war for it and he played Thomas Wanye (not his first time doing this). Oh WB, you are THE worst rn. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14681596/

The 2012 podcast ep Fat Man on Batman #11: Kevin Conroy: Batman Himself is very insightful. He talks about his career with Kevin Smith and his lifelong struggle with alcoholism. He wasn´t publically out at the time so a full picture isn´t formed. That came a few years later. A must listen regardless. The 2022 short comic Finding Batman from DC Pride 2022 explains how the widespread homophobia inside the industry gave him an in for the character of Bruce Wayne who is a living mask. He blew people away during his audition and that cast was wall-to-wall talent. It´s a shame he didn´t get to write more. He clearly showed talent. RIP.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LastPage 3

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:48 pm Reply with quote
RIP Mr. Conroy. I can still remember watching TAS as a kid. You did this role to perfection.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Batman will go on, but I do not envy the actor who will try to fill this role. Conway owned it and always will. What he absolutely nailed was the difference between Bruce and Bats. Of all the actors who've played the role, both live action and animated, it feels like he's the only one who really bothered to make them distinct personalities, rather than Batman playing Bruce or Bruce playing Batman.

Thanks, Guile, for the clip. I don't know the context, but it was interesting that he seemed to be performing at a club exclusively for older men. Smile

It's good to know he knew how we feel about him. Watch it while you can!
https://twitter.com/RealKevinConroy/status/1534593267152691200

Exactly so. As even the folks who originally casted him said, what made him great was that he understood that Batman was the real persona and that Bruce Wayne was the disguise. Apparently he even came to this understanding without knowing much about Batman when he was tapped for it.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:56 am Reply with quote
Cancer has taken another great individual. Thank you Kevin for the great memories, especially in Batman TAS. I loved that show. Its my favorite Batman show. In the animated world, you are my Batman.

RIP
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3