• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hana to Yume Magazine Lists New Anime for Natsuki Takaya's Fruits Basket Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Please be true.

Tohru deserves to have the rest of the story finished in animated form.
catandmouse

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I'll be honest, I liked Fruits Basket, I own all the volumes, but it is not by any means my favorite. I actually like her Geneimuso (Phantom Dream) series better.
Anyway, even so, I would like to see all of Fruits Basket animated, i enjoyed the original anime for what it's worth.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I just recently read and fell in love with the entire manga, so an anime covering the entire story this time around sounds right up my alley

I'm kind of curious what the studio will be. I'd be surprised if they went back to DEEN again, but they probably need to go with a studio with some pedigree and who would be willing to do a long-runner (4-cour at the minimum). Bones, maybe?

I'm curious what they'll do VA-wise. Some of the VA's from the original are still active and have aged fairly well, but I wouldn't be surprised if they recast for all the roles (or do it for everyone but Yui Horie as Tohru). I know some of the other Sohma's and character past the anime got VA's in the Drama CD's.

Reprising Tohru could be the only thing that would get Laura Bailey to reprise an anime role, but I don't see her doing a simuldub which this would probably get with Funimation.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:44 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
I don't think there's any reason to assume that Funimation, or any other specific licensor, would be the default choice of English-language licensor for this (we don't even know from the story if Studio DEEN is involved again.). It could just as easily go to Crunchyroll, Sentai, Amazon, or Netflix. In fact, given the current anime licensing arms race, I would be willing to bet on Netflix, as it would be a feather in their cap to land such a well-known and beloved franchise.

Alan45 wrote:
I wonder why people keep assuming that Funimation will be dubbing the new version? This will probably be the subject of a bidding war as soon as the right's holders open negotiations (long before it airs). It could be any of the North American distributors depending on factors we can't analyze at the moment. Could be Aniplex for all we know at the moment. Twisted Evil

The original anime was a major seller for FUNi even at a time when most Shojo titles didn't do as well and they still have that series after all this time so they would be crazy not to get this new one.

With that said, I also expect to see some recasts for this dub but I do also wonder about the Japanese side since the original cast choices were said to be mostly Takaya's idea.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:00 pm Reply with quote
@Inverti Herikawa & NJ_

I'm aware that Funimation holds the license to the original series. I agree that they will want the new series. If this was a continuation of the prior series coming a few seasons later they probably would be a shoo-in. However, this is a completely new series.

Fruits Basket still has a substantial following in North America. Funimation is not the only distributor likely to be interested. With the end of the Crunchyroll/Funimation agreement we are back to the days of the bidding wars. I figure Funimation, Crunchyroll, Sentai, Netflix. and Aniplex are all possible bidders. Sentai is a long shot as they no longer have the deep pockets but the others are possible contenders. Even Pony Canyon is possible if they are involved with the production.

This wouldn't be the first franchise to change hands, look at Fate/Stay Night. Certainly Funimation is a prime contender but it is hardly a done deal at this point.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:44 pm Reply with quote
It's just not going to be the same without the music/ost of Ritsuko Okazaki.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:41 pm Reply with quote
FINALLY.
1dbad

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I read a few volumes of Fruits Basket back in high school. I enjoyed what I read, but never got around to finishing it or watching the anime adaptation.

And what better way to make up for that than a complete anime adaptation? Looking forward to following this when it airs.
graywolf323

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:01 am Reply with quote
this would be amazing Shocked Very Happy

I hope Yen Press is able to make the original manga available digitally at some point too
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:27 am Reply with quote
...This is unexpected and amazing. The manga is superbly written and well deserving, finally!
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:49 pm Reply with quote
MischievousMelody wrote:
wolf10 wrote:
Wait, that Natsuki Takaya is allowing her work to be adapted into an anime? And FruBa, of all things? What world line is this?

Fruits Basket got an anime adaptation before. Is there something weird about that?

Back in 2007, I did a lot of research on the prospect of their being a sequel to Fruits Basket. A Japanese fan told me a lot of things, including the fact that Takaya-sensei was highly displeased with director Daichi-san's adaptation. At the time, she didn't specifically state what irritated her in terms of story, but I wrote a piece about it. A couple of Japanese fans told me that they believed my analysis was correct. (Doesn't mean it was, just that it felt right.)

Quote:
Anyway, considering how good the manga is, this anime could be worth a watch.

I loved the original anime adaptation until I read the manga. The anime's different take on the story ends up making zero sense once you read the manga. However, if they do a proper adaptation, meaning the anime writers don't add or remove things 'cause "reasons," I will be watching it.

Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
You gotta believe that if Funi gets a hold of this and dubs it that there will probably be more than a few recastings (Tohru being the most obvious).

English dubs rarely have consistency, more so if the title gets licensed by someone else. However, Japanese seiyuu generally are always attached to an anime once they've done it once. There are always exceptions to the rule, but for the most part, the seiyuu never change outside of death or retirement.

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
At any rate, here's hoping they do indeed keep the original director far, FAR away from this adaptation. As much as I love Fruits Basket and still have a sort-of soft spot for the first anime, at this point it's borderline unwatchable for me the further in it gets. I do hope they're able to keep most of the cast though.

Haha! I hear you. I'm the same way. I got into the Fruits Basket manga because of the anime. However, once I saw how the manga had a much superior story and that the anime adaptation removed things 'cause "reasons" and changed the whole nature of the story to be something the original story never intended, the anime adaptation lost a lot of its appeal.

BlackPoint. wrote:
Guess iam one of thoose that simply disliked this manga specialy didn't like the main ships which way and simply dropped the manga half way into it as it wasnt worth wasting time on it... Could simply never make sense what people saw on that cat dude.

Well, everyone has their own likes and dislikes. Nothing wrong with that. The story and characters weren't an issue for me. Takaya-sensei's injury to her drawing hand caused her to change her character designs to something simplistic, which caused characters to lose a lot of their visual personality.

Quote:
Oh well personnaly wish they would adapt some other works from Hana To Yume that surely deserve an anime....

Money talks and Fruits Basket was money back in the day. I think the sequel did quite well too, though I still need to read it.

Animeking1108 wrote:
Takaya was notoriously difficult to work with during the production of the original anime. She often got into arguments with the director and complained when certain voice actors didn't play the characters she wanted. People theorize that's the reason why there was never a second season (that, and Akito spoiler[being voiced by a man] retroactively created a huge plot hole).
[/quote]

Some Japanese fans I spoke with also stated that Daichi leaving out critical items, such as Touru's special cap, was an issue. And Akito in the anime makes no sense once all of Akito's and the Zodiac's secrets are revealed in the manga. That's why I have a hard time rewatching the anime today.

Usagi-kun wrote:
Tohru deserves to have the rest of the story finished in animated form.

Actually,a the entire story needs to be redone from scratch. The original anime jacked so many things up, there's no way to recover without starting over afresh.

NJ_ wrote:
The original anime was a major seller for FUNi even at a time when most Shojo titles didn't do as well and they still have that series after all this time so they would be crazy not to get this new one.

Ditto the manga for TokyoPop back in the day. The series was huge, which was why FUNimation pushed hard to try to get a sequel.

Quote:
With that said, I also expect to see some recasts for this dub but I do also wonder about the Japanese side since the original cast choices were said to be mostly Takaya's idea.

It is unusual for there to be seiyuu changes outside of deaths or retirements. Since the franchise is very popular in Japan, I suspect most of the original seiyuu will return.
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I kept thinking it was going to be a season 2 but after hearing that it's an ALL NEW + how the mangaka had problems with the director. It's obvious it won't be a season 2.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Interesting developments. Having read the Fruits Basket manga over a decade ago, certainly recall the more serious developments that resulted from the Sohma family being further explored and how this shaped Tohru's relations with them, particularly Kyo and Yuki. In fact, the mood of the manga for its first eight volumes (that the first anime covered) had a different mood all together compared to the light, spirited one that said anime offered since it removed many hints of the later darker developments of the manga.

This being said, a full anime adaptation of the original manga series with it having long been finished is a definite possibility and has the potential to be a modern classic in the right hands. Just keep NAS and Akitaro Daichi as far away from Furuba as possible.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tsundereikemen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:10 am Reply with quote
is it really finally happening???? if so, i wouldn't think this day would ever come ; ;
wolf10

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:15 am Reply with quote
I'll admit I'm kinda hoping for a recast, which is the norm when a series this high-profile gets an outright reboot. Not out of dislike for the original cast (who I simultaneously adore as performers but hardly remember in those roles), but because I think there are a number of newer/younger seiyuu in the industry who could do really well with it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4