• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
When Mechs Equals Sex

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:38 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:

Chrno2 wrote:
I'm kind of surprised that 'Godannar' didn't make a connection. Since much of the premise of the show was mecha and marriage. That was the closest.

Even 'Iczer-1', which I later learned more of it's "yuri" roots, revolved around the true meaning of "synchronization". As the host was a battery for the robot. But the true internalized feelings gave the robot more power than required.

Yeah, that's another good show to mention.

Yup.
Also Iczer-1 was one of my early favs in my early anime watching thanks to how badass Iczer-1 was.

Yep, wasn't my first OVA anime but was my second. But I do want to sit down and watch Darling in the FranXX. I just did Gainax to Go Nagai weekend a couple of years ago. Which later led me back to 'Iczer-1'. I wanted to finally sit down and analyze GB2 for itself.

I can see a lot of references and design work reminiscent of that show. But again this is the house style of what was once Gainax and later leaving and forming what is now Trigger, So they are really making strides now.

The reason why mentioned 'Godannar' because after looking at the scene between the two leads, it reminded me of how the cockpit was in 'Godannar'. Goh's male mecha by itself was smaller. When combined with Anna's female robot counterpart made it larger and more powerful. The combination puts the 2nd cockpit right up against the first. Yeah, we know that was intended. Once the combination is completed the energies from both parties supercharges the ultimate attack "Heart Breaker".

Then there was the whole situation when Goh's old partner comes back Mira Ackerman and is paired with Goh to pilot Anna's robot. Yeah, I thought that and the script had problems. I mean who just comes back from a coma and "we want you to pilot". And this set the whole the whole love triangle in motion where Anna questions herself and what does the relationship between her and Goh really mean now that an old flame has shown up. So the premise of infidelity and trust become a theme in a few of the episodes until it's final resolution.

Oh one more thing. Vandread was another that came to mind on this topic of "sex" and robots.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:47 pm Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:
That was literally one scene.
It also wasn't played as sexy at all, it was played as horrifying. It was horrifying. It was crafted the same way as two episodes earlier when another character got horribly killed.
Literally. Watch the series. Skip the last five minutes of episode 10. Come back and talk to me about it.
I watched Valvrave the Liberator years ago and spoiler[I think making the protagonist of the show a rapist in order to shock the audience was in bad taste. Valvrave the Liberator had interesting ideas such as global conspiracies, public opinion manipulation though social media, and space vampires but it occasionally went a bit too far when trying to shock the audience. Granted there are mecha shows with more offensive content but I decided to pick a moderate example.]
Ditchdigger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:09 pm Reply with quote
You can't forget Buddy Complex, which might be the only mecha show where the sexual innuendo driving the mecha is between two dudes. spoiler[ While there's a ridiculous heteronormative cop-out at the end in which the MC leaves the other guy weeping to go with the girl he's spent a total of like ten minutes with in the whole show -- my wife still yells "F^&* you, Buddy Complex!" whenever she sees it mentioned -- ] it's hard not to assume BL is what the show is going for when one of the episode synopses on the wiki includes " Getting straight to the point, he asks for a demonstration, between Aoba and Dio, of their Coupling skills. Delighted at what he sees, Dio and Aoba conduct a Coupling for the full length of time."[/spoiler]
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
I'm kind of surprised that 'Godannar' didn't make a connection. Since much of the premise of the show was mecha and marriage. That was the closest.

You can't bring up Godannar without mentioning it's brother from another mother, Gravion and Gravion Zwei. Then there's also Divergence Eve which to me is the spiritual predecessor to Muv Luv.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3