• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Amazon's Anime Strike Offers Downloadable Episodes, Free Monthly Manga Volumes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:01 pm Reply with quote
You're assuming people want Amazon Prime. I have no interest in it, so I'd get no value out if it. So yes, to watch the anime they have, I would have to pay $160 a year.
UltScorpion

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Why is everyone acting as if what amazon is doing is the equvalent of if funimation made it that you had to buy their service in order to buy cruchyrol's service. Which it's simply not the case. Everyone acting as if Prime is a through away service with not merit of it's own, that they have to buy in order to get Strike. Which is absurd.

The amount of perks you get from Prime is well worth the price and chances are you already own it for those perks. Now, they offer you an exclusive service for a small price that streams your niche hobby and you act as if it should be included in the already highly inclusive prime membership. Hell, my friend owns Prime primarily to watch Grand Tour, and you are bitch about paying extra 5 dollars for a possibly huge future catalogue of anime. Petty is what it seems like.

Well once again, I already have Prime privileges from a relative. Yet I can't get Anime Strike unless I get Prime myself.

How do you call that a fair deal?
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:58 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
You're assuming people want Amazon Prime. I have no interest in it, so I'd get no value out if it. So yes, to watch the anime they have, I would have to pay $160 a year.

If you actually looked, you would find the value, there is so much offered with it that it's just petty to say you can't find value it. I would understand it if Prime was just a stream service, but the truth of the matter is that it is a service with a plethora of services and saying that you can't find a use for them is just you not wanting to look at what it offers.

Also, just to put that in to perspective, they are asking you to pay them $13.33 a month with Strike (Prime is $8.25 a monthly). I love how everyone is posting the yearly rate just to make a point because they know that if they post the monthly rate the argument will seem petty because that is what it actually is.

UltScorpion wrote:
Rinkwolf wrote:
Why is everyone acting as if what amazon is doing is the equvalent of if funimation made it that you had to buy their service in order to buy cruchyrol's service. Which it's simply not the case. Everyone acting as if Prime is a through away service with not merit of it's own, that they have to buy in order to get Strike. Which is absurd.

The amount of perks you get from Prime is well worth the price and chances are you already own it for those perks. Now, they offer you an exclusive service for a small price that streams your niche hobby and you act as if it should be included in the already highly inclusive prime membership. Hell, my friend owns Prime primarily to watch Grand Tour, and you are bitch about paying extra 5 dollars for a possibly huge future catalogue of anime. Petty is what it seems like.

Well once again, I already have Prime privileges from a relative. Yet I can't get Anime Strike unless I get Prime myself.

How do you call that a fair deal?

I'm not versed on how Prime works but wouldn't having your relative upgrade to strike, give you access to it as well as you get Prime privileges on their behalf.

Also, kinda funny you want fairness from amazon when you don't want to exercise some of your own. You are getting Prime privileges on behalf of someone else, now they make you actually pay for the services you have been getting for free and you think it's unfair? Just saying.

Last edited by rinkwolf10 on Fri May 05, 2017 1:12 am; edited 1 time in total
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:09 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
If you actually looked, you would find the value, there is so much offered with it that it's just petty to say it's not work it.

You are talking like a fanboy aka you think you are helping amazon with your "arguments" but TBT you are only pushing people farther away.

Quote:
Also, just to put that in to perspective, they are asking you to pay them $13.33 a month with Strike. I love how every one is posting the yearly rate just to make a point because they know that if they post the monthly rate the argument will seem petty because that is what it actually is.

So how about this, give me 44 cents each day, don't be petty, it is a worthless sum of money.
Random Name

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:11 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Dessa wrote:

If you actually looked, you would find the value, there is so much offered with it that it's just petty to say it's not work it. Also, just to put that in to perspective, they are asking you to pay them $13.33 a month with Strike. I love how every one is posting the yearly rate just to make a point because they know that if they post the monthly rate the argument will seem petty because that is what it actually is.
I think people are capable of determining what has value to them. It works for you great! But that is not the case for everyone.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:21 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Rinkwolf wrote:
If you actually looked, you would find the value, there is so much offered with it that it's just petty to say it's not work it.

You are talking like a fanboy aka you think you are helping amazon with your "arguments" but TBT you are only pushing people farther away.

Quote:
Also, just to put that in to perspective, they are asking you to pay them $13.33 a month with Strike. I love how every one is posting the yearly rate just to make a point because they know that if they post the monthly rate the argument will seem petty because that is what it actually is.

So how about this, give me 44 cents each day, don't be petty, it is a worthless sum of money.

Are you providing me with services, why should I pay you anything? See the difference there. Amazon is offering you many services for 44cents a day and you are whining and saying they you don't want to pay basically on principal alone.

All, I'm saying is that Prime has it's own value and one that is well worth it but we are acting like it's just a through away service that you have to get that you will never use just to get Strike. When the truth of the matter is that you can find many uses for it. Just getting free shipping on everything is already a huge save.

The problem here is that everyone is arguing on principal alone. Which, makes it a petty argument.

If you brake it done, it's not a bad deal by any stretch of the imagination and chances are that most people already have Prime service, so they are adding the same price for membership it would cost for crunchyrol or Funimation on top to get the same kinda content and more.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:27 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Are you providing me with services, why should I pay you anything? See the difference there. Amazon is offering you many services for 44cents a day

What services? Strike is not available in my region so I would be paying for nothing, I am not interested in their tiny prime video (which lacks local dubs and subtitles for most of their catalog) nor am I interested in their postal serrvice. So yeah, amazon is also whining for my money for nothing.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:35 am Reply with quote
Not everyone cares about all the "perks" Amazon Prime offers. I don't care about nor want Amazon Prime. You see value in the perks. It's not going to be worth it for everyone. Apparently, myself and some others here don't see the value. I don't care about the free shipping for the small handful of purchases I make through Amazon each year and all the other crap. I just want Anime Strike which they don't offer as a standalone subscription, so they aren't getting my money. I'm not paying nearly double what I pay monthly for Crunchyroll for a bunch of extra stuff that I don't want. They should just offer Anime Strike as a standalone subscription for customers that don't want Prime. This would make most of the complaints go away. It really shouldn't be that difficult.
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:06 am Reply with quote
Zilan wrote:
I can only assume anime strike is not doing well considering the huge amount of negativity among fans. Which has to get you wondering what will they do? Remove the double paywall? Not pick up as many shows? Dissolve completely? I hear people say "oh amazon has the money to wait this out! They dont care!" I think thats a stupid assumption to make. They took a chance, and got a ton of shows this season. From a business standpoint it would be dumb to continue investing in something thats not making you profit. It'll be interesting seeing how this pans out. Im all for them stepping out completely. But if the price is right and the anime i want is there i have no problem dropping CR or even paying for both.

A few people whining does not really mean that their service is doing poorly, we simply won't know their numbers unless they reveal them. For what we know, they could be doing very well, or not.

I think they will stick to Anime Strike! at least for this entire year, why would they even bother to make a dedicated anime streaming service only to abandon it after a few months?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:18 am Reply with quote
If there was no double pay-wall, then I don't think I would I have as much an issue with Anime Strike. I currently pay the premium amount for J-Novel but at least there isn't a premium premium rate for J-Novel.
VinceA

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:26 am Reply with quote
Wow, such animosity... oh well, I've loved my Prime subscription for years and Anime Strike, which I just added this season because Re:Creators & Atom the Beginning, was a nice add. I think Amazon is looking to build on top of what they've got not appeal to Crunchyroll-esque subscribers. Yeah, I'm one of those also and a Funi subscriber. Damn, there's a lot of places to get my anime fix...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
scrwbll19

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:28 am Reply with quote
...And I think that is just the problem. Most people have a limited amount of money that they can spend on anime subscriptions or anything that they enjoy. However, too many services that vie for fans' money becomes a problem, especially when they all are offering bits and pieces of what is available. Pretty soon, many people will not have enough money to pony up for them all, which is part of the reason why people complain. Although I find the double pay wall for Amazon to be a HUGE turnoff, I still would not mind shelling out like most of the people who have voiced their complaints here and as I have said earlier as well.

On the other hand, it seems like there are people here who have the money to give or have access one way or another. I am truly happy for them. Yet, it seems that some do not seem to understand basic supply and demand, which is the economic backbone of this discussion. Having subscribed to Amazon Prime for a short while, I personally found that the service was not for me. While I agree it can be a great benefit to many, I found that having too another service on top of CR, Funimation, and Netflix was simply too much - too much money, too much of a time investment, and too much hemming and hawing about what I want to watch or listen to or whatnot. So, as I said, if you enjoy Amazon's services, good for you. I truly mean it. However, as at least one other person voiced, this is not a one-size-fits-all kind of thing.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:49 am Reply with quote
It's no surprise that the only real excuse the Anime Strike apologists can offer is "But you get all the benefits of Prime!" Yeah? Well... I don't *want* the benefits of Prime. I've looked into the service. It's not for me. I just want Strike as a separate service to watch anime. I have absolutely no use for all the other junk that Amazon forces upon you. And I'm sorry, but paying $13.33 just to watch a subtitled simulcast is too much, especially when Crunchyroll offers people that for *free*. Call me "entitled" if you must, but it is what it is.
UltScorpion

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:49 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
I'm not versed on how Prime works but wouldn't having your relative upgrade to strike, give you access to it as well as you get Prime privileges on their behalf.

Also, kinda funny you want fairness from amazon when you don't want to exercise some of your own. You are getting Prime privileges on behalf of someone else, now they make you actually pay for the services you have been getting for free and you think it's unfair? Just saying.

I guess I could ask my mom to pay even more for a service that I would only use. But even if she does agree to this, Will I get Anime Strike privileges to my account or do I have to go my mother's account and watch the shows there?

And are you basically implying that I should get Prime myself and to quit leaching off my parents? I can understand that notion but that option I wouldn't exactly call money-efficient at this time. Like I already have Prime Privileges from her so that rules out the yearly plan that gives me Free Shipping that's faster so paying for that will be an extreme waste of money.

And for Prime Video, Once again It's only got most of the currently airing shows hostage, some Sentai Filmworks shows, and Darker Than Black for $13.98

It doesn't seem like too bad of a deal for me, until I realized that Crunchyroll for me has shittons of Subbed shows that I need to watch or get back to and FunimationNOW which for me has shittons of Dubbed shows that I need to watch or get back to, All at $12.94.

So yeah, you now know the story of why I swore off Anime Strike after the Winter Season ended with Scums Wish. You can go ahead and tell me what works for you or how it takes a while for a service to get off the ground, but until Amazon does something actually worthwhile with Anime Strike to make it tolerable, I'll stick with the better deal in my eyes because as it stands now, Anime Strike to me is like the Origin of Anime Streaming Services.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:42 am Reply with quote
darkdeath174 wrote:
GeorgH wrote:
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
princess passa passa wrote:
* Double Paywall
* US only

It's not USA only, or to be precise, international Amazon video users get access to the anime without the requirement to add the extra strike fee.

Source?
International Amazon video users only get access to selected series - in UK currently 3 spring-season simulcasts, and delays are common. Most older Anime Strike series are also unavaiable there.
So you get less than a half of the content, but still have to pay over 100$ a year.

I guess it's similar in CA or AU, but I can't prove it as they protected even the content-listings with a paywall & IP-wall there.

Amazon actually only has 3 shows this season, everything else comes from a NA based partnership.

It seems Sentai might be trying to get shows on PrimeVideo.com for Canadians, as 3 shows are on there, Sagrada Reset, Armed Girl's Machiavellism and Kabukibu!, but only the first episodes have been uploaded. Sentai hasn't made an official announcement this, and I can't get them or Amazon will tell what is going on with it. So that's why I say "might be", as there is zero info on it.

Yeah I've been a Prime member for a while, but the amount of actual exclusives as opposed to sub-licensed streaming is not enough to make me want to add Anime Strike to my membership. It's the same price as a Crunchyroll yearly membership at $60 but without the same amount of Strike-only content so the value is not yet there for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4