• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Gantz Creator Urges Fans to Buy Manga New, Not Used

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nekelen Tinsley

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:23 pm Reply with quote
IMO i agree on the subject of not buying used manga, Personal thing i have where i just prefer it to be new but i gotta disagree with you on the not reading them in stores cause in all honesty not all manga are worth collecting(At least thats how i see it). I have no intention of buying a manga reading it once and then just letting it sit there on my shelf(i just wasted my money on something that im only gonna read once nah bruh). I believe in supporting the industry to an extent (cause not every series is worth supporting). I buy the manga that i LOVE cause i want to support THAT author and/or i genuinely wanna collect aside from that i read them in the store or online(the volumes i do buy i constantly go back and read because no matter how many times i do it never gets dull).I dont wanna feel obligated to help someone especially a manga that i dont even know, that a big no no what if i end up dropping the manga next volume. Most likely ima just end up giving it away or selling it to a fan who likes the series cause i have no use for it.
Shouryu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
With the low cost of manga how cheap are people to buy it used? How much are you even saving, just like a dollar or two? Might as well get it new. Save a trip to your mgronalds and put it towards new mangas.

Are you serious? Do you not have the habit of buying long running manga? They culminate exponentially you know? I can buy the whole set of Naruto used for 70 or 140 bucks at worst instead of 420 bucks new. That's like 63 meals of Mac Donalds in average. 300 bucks in saving goes a long way. Chip in some more and you can buy a PS4 with that kind of money.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:29 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
Is it just me or is everyone here who is telling others to buy new because "it's cheap", someone who works?

You people seem to be forgetting the main target of these series... it's people from 10y to 25y.
I'm in uni and i work on my free time but i sure as hell won't be spending my hard earned money on 10 euro books when i can get it at 1 euro (max) on ebay.

Supporting the industry is very important, but f*ck it if you're spending more than you should just for it...

this is similar to the NEW vs USED games argument

remember the online pass some of the game publishers thought it was a good idea ? or Microsoft's idea about "always online" console their xbox one.. those ideas didn't last long..

the USED market is frown upon by some..

show your support to the creator/author by buying NEW now.. new house, new car, new books, new games,etc.. better yet pay full price (MSRP)

show your support!

sadly none of these creators/authors will support their supporters in return though..

do most of them stepping in when some the fans/supporters are going through financial problem? living from paycheck to paycheck? thousands in debts?

it's always interesting seeing people trying to tell you what you should buy with your own hard earned money.. Laughing

Last edited by AnimeAddict2014 on Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Namu12

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I buy new mangas, read them and sell them. Thanks to that I can buy more new mangas than when I would collect them instead.
So if you buy used manga (when you don't have the money for new one or you wouldn't buy new one anyway) you my also help the author - because the seller can buy more new staff.
SHD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
In what world is 9 to 12 dollars not considered cheap? Most people earn that much in like only half an hour to even as little as 10 minutes at work. One days wage of eight hours is enough for people to buy over 10 volumes of manga.

Try to remember that countries exist outside of the US. I live in Eastern Europe. Here the equivalent of 9 dollars feeds me for 3 days (cheap lunch plus some office snacks). And that's just the book itself, not the shipping or the storing, although those are problems with used manga as well. For me buying manga means paying almost as much if not more for the shipping, especially if it comes from Japan.

By the way, for storage&shipping reasons I tend to buy new manga as ebooks from Japanese services - whenever it's possible, anyway, because it's not rare that a manga, especially if it's a bit niche, is not available in ebook form. Here I have to put up with 1) the manga being the same price as the paper version which is ridiculous, 2) different proprietary formats and readers (all clunky and annoying to use, especially on mobile), 3) the fact that even though I pay as much as I would for the paper version I still don't own the damn book, and if the ebook provider goes down for whatever reason I'll lose everything I paid for. (I gave up on English services - the last time I wanted to buy a manga as an ebook in English it wasn't available for me from any provider.)

Last edited by SHD on Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:00 pm Reply with quote
then tell the publishers to always have your goddamn manga constantly printed and in-stock before complaining that the consumers are not doing their part if you don't do your own.
I mean,look at the new Berserk anime and Musou game,there are new fans wanting to read the manga now because of them,but they have trouble finding the older volumes because they are costing the double of their normal price because Dark Horse doesn't do their job to have the series constantly printed to attract more fans.
That's the biggest problem with manga in my country:they punish you if you don't buy the new volume at lauch because in a couple of months or a year,you will only find very expensive used copies on the internet...
SageModeKakarot

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:10 pm Reply with quote
tell publishers to keep releasing older manga volumes then and we probably won't need to buy used copies
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Buying used books is good for the industry because it gives people a cheaper way to try something. A person who buys the first volume or two of a series used might eventually buy the rest of it new.
Buying used books is good for the industry because it allows people to sell used books. You cannot sell if there are no buyers.

Selling used books is good for the industry because it allows people to get money to buy more new books.

Having the possibility of selling used books is good for the industry because it gives me more incentive to take a chance on buying a new book that I am not sure about. There have been quite a few times when I would not have bought a new book if I did not think that I would be able to sell it if I did not like it enough to keep it.

If I could afford to do it I would buy everything new and donate any books that I do not want to keep to a thrift shop, but I cannot afford to do that.

Last edited by Touma on Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:32 pm Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:
... The majority of the time it is changing the dialogue to PC terms, but sometimes they will change the artwork, or even drop certain "problematic" chapters altogether.

Can you provide examples?
Souther

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:41 pm Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:

I mean,look at the new Berserk anime and Musou game,there are new fans wanting to read the manga now because of them,but they have trouble finding the older volumes because they are costing the double of their normal price because Dark Horse doesn't do their job to have the series constantly printed to attract more fans.

It's because the volumes weren't selling enough to justify reprinting them in the first place (though now, at least the new anime and Musou game's putting Berserk's name out there more): http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=13899.msg220543#msg220543

EDIT: Apparently, they did some reprints but there's still a lack of volumes.

Last edited by Souther on Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
gwdone

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I bought all of my Gantz volumes brand new in shrink wrap one at a time without any regrets.

I just wish I could have the chance to buy one of those cool art boxes that house the complete collection. I've seen those special boxes for certain series. Claymore has a great box that I wanted big time. Ha,, I even found myself writing many owners asking to buy the art box alone to house my collection.
Whoever came up with that product business model should realize that they could make some good money by selling the Manga artbox separately.

Pssst....Mr. Hiroya Oku ----Put out a Gantz Manga artbox and I'll be the first to buy it! Brand new!
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:02 pm Reply with quote
EighteenSky wrote:
Like others here I'd only buy used if the volumes I needed were out of print.

EvilOmar78 wrote:
Sir Daniel Fortesque wrote:
I'd buy Gantz if it wasn't out of print.

Which volumes are out of print?

Volumes 3, 6, 7, 10, 16, 18, 20, 21, 25, 26 and 30. There could be a few more though. Really frustrating as well, I decided to start collecting the series before reading only to find out there were some out of print and it's driving me crazy now.

In New York almost every volume is still avaliable in stores. Even at barnes and Noble. They have the books you can buy in print. Though they sell you it through their site from second hand retailers. So, that helps the industry. Right?
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:11 pm Reply with quote
While buying used doesn't trickle back to the authors, it does expand the consumer base, which in turn might buy the next print new. The thing is, I can't help but seeing it as anything other than a physical thing; with digital versions, the copy of the book is tied to the username, and usually can't be transferred to another person.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
...or they could go to a library. But wait, by this logic, the library is a den for pirates, isn't it? Also, they'd so impose DRM on physical media if they could. No more lending, no more sharing, no more anything. Those are lost sales after all, aren't they?

Sorry, call me cynical, but while I'm all for creators making the money they're "entitled" to, buying used is perfectly legal, so even the anti-pirates shouldn't have an issue with that either.

For many creators, libraries are the same as pirating, honestly. I tend to boycott anything by an author with that opinion.

For me, there's 4 levels of interest in something, that affects how/if I buy it:

1) Not interested - Obviously, I'm not going to buy this, and I won't be reading it, either.
2) Interested - I'll probably get this from the library to read. Probably won't buy it, though. I'm interested in the story, but don't want to own it.
3) Would like to own - Probably I read this from the library, and it's good enough that I'd like to have it on hand for whenever I want to read it. Most likely I'll buy it used, unless I can find it super-cheap. And even used, I'll probably wait to get it as cheap as possible. It's not a big deal.
4) Must own - These are the only ones I'll buy new (unless it's super-cheap). These are also the only ones I'll buy without having already read them. Very few series get this, and, at any given point in time, there's rarely more than 3-4. Right now, I've got 3 manga series and 2 light novel series (with a 4th manga on indefinite hiatus).

Another thing that should be pointed out, while my buying habits would be the same regardless of if I'm buying from Japan or from US companies, buying from US companies doesn't matter so much, regardless on if you buy it new. The money to the creator (if there's any directly) generally comes from teh licensing contract, rather than royalties from books sold. So they already got their money from US fans.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm just glad he specified to purchase new manga "as often as you can." He seems to understand that sometimes it's just not feasible but when it is it's good to support the artist.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6