• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Can You Name 10 More Anime from the 90s?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fathergoat

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 3:16 pm Reply with quote

But I admit a lot of them were guesses. Didn't have any trouble with the slayers because I loved that episode.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 3:18 pm Reply with quote
7/10. I only got right 3 of the 5 series I've seen. I've seen Slayers and El Hazard, but I don't know which ones. From what little I remember about El Hazard (mainly the guy with the crazy laugh), I was unclear at the time about whether I was watching one series or several or whether I was watching in the right order, so I had no hope of guessing which the picture came from. Same for Slayers.

I'm one of the 8 people who has Nazca on dvd, so that one was a walk. Wink
trilaan

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Although I'm a huge fan of El-Hazard I'd only been able to see The Alternative World once. Now that I think on it, though, I realize the animation style is midway between Wanderers(the one I picked as the answer) and Magnificent World. Guess I should have thought harder. Aside from that I only missed Boys Over Flowers and Eden's Bowy(didn't see either one).

Still, it was great to finally feel challenged on these "Do You Remember?" things.

Good job, Zac, please, don't go easy on us next time either.

fathergoat wrote:

But I admit a lot of them were guesses. Didn't have any trouble with the slayers because I loved that episode.

I remember from the dub. "And now...in Japanese!" Very Happy
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
I got 5/10, which is not too bad considering I've never seen any of them.

Haha, same. My knowledge of any of these series is just from spending so much of the last 5 years in the community. A couple are in my backlog, but that's still several hundred series strong...
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:26 pm Reply with quote
8/10

Asking us to pick specific seasons of a show is cruel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Oh hey, El-Haza-- f***.

Oh hey, Slaye-- f***.

I started on it feeling relatively confident since I knew the first one on sight, and then I continued scrolling down. I think that one is the only one I'm absolutely certain on.

I'll, uh, attempt this later.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragonmastr

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this was way harder than the last one. The El Hazard and Slayers ones were practically trick questions!
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
7/10. I only got right 3 of the 5 series I've seen. I've seen Slayers and El Hazard, but I don't know which ones. From what little I remember about El Hazard (mainly the guy with the crazy laugh), I was unclear at the time about whether I was watching one series or several or whether I was watching in the right order, so I had no hope of guessing which the picture came from.

The 90's were the days when--if you didn't happen to live near NYC or Harvard Square--you took WHATEVER commercial anime VHS's showed up pot-luck at your mom-and-pop rental (they weren't at Blockbuster), so I never had enough opportunity to tell one El-Hazard series from the other. Although I could tell Tenchi OVA apart from Universe, and knew it was the same Pioneer/AIC screwing-around with canons that you couldn't jump from one show to the other without starting from the beginnings.

Literally all I knew about El-Hazard's concept or Laughing Boy was from the characters and elements showing up in the Pioneer-centric "Ani-Mayhem" card game, before it ended up crushed by Pokemon and Magic:TG.
Okay, try that one for a 90's blast. Cool
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 6:00 pm Reply with quote
7/10, but in fairness, three of them were guesses. Much harder this time around, but still fun!
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I feel old.

Like many, I passed on even trying to guess at whichever seasons of Slayers or El-Hazard those were.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 6:28 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't quite sure on the El Hazard, I just knew it wasn't the OVAs because the designs were softer and kind of dumber looking.
shenlongmizuno

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Its one of the versions of Slayer and El Hazard but I don't know the exact one lol And freaking Nazca.. I would love to see that get a modern remake. Incan (Aztec?) warriors aren't exactly common in anime.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:25 pm Reply with quote
8/10. El Hazard... I did recognize the franchise but even putting the series right next to each other, I won't tell them apart... not can't exactly but it's not worth the effort... and Arc the Lad which I never bothered with in the first place.

But how is the Slayers Next one hard? Once you've seen that episode, you'll never forget it.

As for who remembers Eden's Bowy, I love that show. It has two of the greatest idiots this side of absurdist theater. Plus, there's the catwoman president and her second in command, her thirteen year old niece. Then there's the other flying island, the gods, the angels, the godkillers, the dead girl who was brought back as a robot but not, the drunken swordmaster, the college grad student magician...

What a weird show. It's kind of like a 30s movie serial made through anime tropes. I can understand why it would be an acquired taste
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:06 pm Reply with quote
7/10, though two of those were just good guesses.

As for what I can name off the top of my head

The Vision of Escaflowne
Cowboy Bebop
Crest of the Stars
Blue Gender
Blue Seed
Gundam Wing
Silent Mobius
Tenchi Muyo
Outlaw Star
Rurouni Kenshin

...probably just the easy ones... Anime smile + sweatdrop
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
But how is the Slayers Next one hard? Once you've seen that episode, you'll never forget it.

Not to mention that Slayers Next had the best filler episodes of the whole trilogy.
Like the "Dragon cuisine" episode, if it was silly and harmless, it was more likely to come from Next.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5