• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Which Anime Made You Cry?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DevoKarasu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:12 pm Reply with quote
My very first anime that I somewhat wept at was episode 22 of Lucky Star (yes Lucky Star). The background story for Konota's mother, Kanata, pulled my heart to pieces. The OST didn't help either.

Angel Beats certainly hit me hard in the end. From the spoiler[graduation scene] to spoiler[Otonashi confessing his love for Kanade]. Although it was quite cheeky for pulling an ending like that out of nowhere.

AnoHana was strong from start to end. It really made me feel the situation and bonds between each character, in conjunction with the OP & ED which quickly became teary for me.

CLANNAD: After Story I have to say was a big hitter for me. The ending was incredibly tragic, As if spoiler[Nagisa's death] wasn't enough then they had to make it more heart breaking by spoiler[killing off Ushio] and spoiler[Tomoya as well via a broken heart]. My tears were certainly flowing by the end of it.
Lion Magnus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:21 pm Reply with quote
For me there was 2 animes that made cry:
1) Kimi ga Nozomu Eien
2) Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora

Of course, one thing is be sad... (a lot of scenes of other animes) and other is cry (manly or like a otome).
Plasmaeclipse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm one of those people who don't cry as much during anime anymore

I vaguely recall crying at Naruto way back in the day when i was still in middle school I believe it was when spoiler[Sasuke defects to Orochimaru's side and fights with Naruto] but that was almost a decade ago

I definately bawled during the ending of Angel beats spoiler[Otanashi begging Tenshi not to pass on definitely got to me, even if I dont really like him now] and this scene I dont think made me cry but definately misty eyed was when spoiler[Yui moved on]

One choice I dont think many people will put here is Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's the scenes of spoiler[the Wolkenritter gathering linker cores always gets to be, particularly Vita's scenes. The movie took it a step further by setting it in the rain and having her trip and fall in the mud Anime cry] also when spoiler[Fate says goodbye to Alicia I find it more powerful in the original series when it was occuring at the same time as the snow rain scene, which was also a tear jerker]
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Honey & Clover's final scene came really close to making me cry. spoiler[Takemoto opening up that lunchbox and finding all those slices of bread with honey and a four-leaf clover on each on them would have been enough for me, but then they had to show Hagu looking for the clovers, and Takemoto's last line just killed me. Then the home video version of the episode came out, and listening to Hiroshi Kamiya (who missed the recording for the broadcast version due to a biking accident) say those words just made it all even more powerful.]
lanierd2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:26 pm Reply with quote
HUNTER X HUNTER EPISODE 135. TRAGIC...
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:29 pm Reply with quote
For the record, here's a similar thread more than 11 years ago; it's interesting comparing anime fans now and then.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Thinking about it, the moments that have made me cry aren't the tragic moments, per se, but more the redemptive ones that follow. In Clannad it wasn't spoiler[the deaths of Nagisa and Ushio] that got to me, but rather spoiler[Tomoya's reconciliation with Ushio in the flower field] and spoiler[the girl in the illusionary world telling the robot that he'll be reunited with her in the real world as Tomoya and Ushio].

This is particularly popular as an ending trope, one which makes the whole journey worthwhile. The endings in Rumbling Hearts aren't entirely happy - in some ways they're pretty shabby - but to have come through that much pain in one piece is something. Nobody gets a perfect ending, and indeed, it's a valid reading to say that the characters never reconcile and their wounds never heal. But just to be able to move on is success enough. That got to me, because it was very believable.

Speking of moving on, the monster of these redemptive ending moments is surely Angel Beats! Fully four episodes play this card, each stronger than the one before it. For me, the most effective might be spoiler[Yui's] ending, with spoiler[a proposal from Hinata for a perfect love that never was, and by the very act of his describing it, can never be].
A Mystery

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:07 pm Reply with quote
There was a 'trying not to cry' - thread active for many years, but I haven't seen it around lately.

I cry quite often.

A 'few' shows/moments:

Naruto: I'm sorry, but every single time in that show when they played that 'sadness and sorrow' piece, I was already wary of incoming feels. Especially in the Haku & Zabuza arc: I couldn't stop crying. I wasn't used to anime then, so it was quite a bleaker story than I imagined it to be. So much feels. spoiler[Their fate and pasts] were quite melancholic.

Blue Spring Ride: It's a shoujo series, but the thing that really got me was quite a realistic part of the show. It was about Kou's family. His spoiler[mother died a few years ago of cancer, but she was already divorced then and circumstances led to some divided relationships]. The scene where the spoiler[awkward family members tried to reconnect again] was very powerful.

Cross Game: Well, it already starts at spoiler[episode 1], where spoiler[Wakaba dies]. They revisit the moment later on. Quite sad.

Dragonball Z: YES I ADMIT IT. The first time I cried in an anime, the very first time, was when Vegeta held that speech right before his death to Goku, about Vegeta's past and the planet.

Fruits Basket: I don't know how many times I cried Laughing , all Souma family members had some sort of tragic story and the melancholy music made it even worse.

Fullmetal Alchemist: The first show actually. I was quite shocked by spoiler[Nina/the dog chimera death], but when spoiler[Mustang died,] that was really, really sad. I think this must me the most cliché thing to say to the question 'Which anime moment made you cry?', but that's because it's just that sad a moment. To me, still quite inexperienced (except for Naruto), it came out of nowhere.

Full Moon wo Sagashite: The moment we know that spoiler[Eiichi's death was really clear ](honestly, didn't everyone suspect it already?) wasn't the most powerful. I cried at the end, spoiler[of happiness. It was actually a happy ending! I was SO relieved.]

Grave of the Fireflies: Well, did you really expect anything else, after the other awkward moments I already mentioned? I mean I cried when VEGETA died. Well, the two hopeless children in a war zone movie wasn't going to be a dry pastime either.

My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU TOO: The second season, when Hachiman, after much agonizing and finally learning some hard truths, opens up to Yui and Yukinon: that was heartwarming and sad at the same time.

Noragami Aragoto: I cried multiple times actually. But the moment when spoiler[Yato got his small shrine] stood out.

Natsume Yuujinchou: The episodes in the sequels were more powerful to me than the first season. Especially when it was about Natsume's past and relationships.

Tari Tari: Show started out a bit boring, then the show shifted focus to Sakai and her family, where we learn that spoiler[her mother is dead and she hasn't moved on yet and stopped with music.] When the ending choir music kicked in, that... that moment was one of the most powerful moments I ever experienced in anime.

The Legend of the Galactic Heroes: I should've seen it coming. It was so obvious if you look at it. But I was devastated when spoiler[Kircheis died]. And stopped watching thereafter. Too much shock.

But I haven't cried while watching the Green Mile. It's a mystery really.

Well, this was just a shortlist of shows where I can actually remember the moments where I cried.

Last edited by A Mystery on Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
SHD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Legend of Galactic Heroes - twice (third and fourth seasons, one was a punch in the gut, another was one I saw coming but was still tragic nevertheless)

Gankutsuou - I started crying somewhere in episode 17 and didn't stop until two days after the end of the series. OK, I'm exaggerating somewhat, but it's one show that got me so emotional that I'm still having trouble rewatching it.

Gungrave - man, those last two episodes.

A Mystery wrote:
The Legend of the Galactic Heroes: I should've seen it coming. It was so obvious if you look at it. But I was devastated when spoiler[Kircheis died]. And stopped watching thereafter. Too much shock.

Continue with it! It's an awesome series, and will get only better and better. With even "worse" tearjerkers, sure, but it's totally worth every teardrop and every curse leveled at the author's head.

Last edited by SHD on Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cynical Bibliophile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:08 pm Reply with quote
The last two episodes of Death Parade got me. In fact, Death Parade is the only anime that's ever succeeded in making me cry, though many have come close. I don't cry over things I don't form an emotional connection to and it's hard for me to form an emotional connection to a character when I know the exact tragedy that's going to hit them. This was my problem with Clannad. I saw the tragedy coming from the first episode.

I did not anticipate, at least not fully, the ending to Death Parade. Sure, I knew the character in question's circumstances. I just didn't know how they'd gotten there. As the show went on, I saw myself in spoiler[Chiyuki.] Especially in relation to spoiler[her eventual depression which led to her suicide.] I've been at a similar point many times in my life and it really struck an emotional chord with me. In the 11th episode when spoiler[we find out that Chiyuki committed suicide, in a beautiful montage of images while she's figure skating around the Quindecim ], I started to cry a little bit. During the last episode when spoiler[Decim takes Chiyuki to the lowest level and shows her what her mother is doing now that Chiyuki is dead; when its revealed to us that her mother is still making food for Chiyuki even though Chiyuki has been dead for three months, ] I absolutely lost it. I started bawling again when spoiler[Chiyuki, faced with the decision to sacrifice someone else's life so that she could return to hers, can't bring herself to decide, breaks down and begins apologizing to her mother, who can't see or hear her, for not valuing her life more, and begs Decim to push the button for her so she can return to her life.]
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:16 pm Reply with quote
I could never tear up for those anime specifically designed to make you tear up, like those stupid Key melodramas with the sick girls looking longingly at snow fall or being wistful during cherry blossom showers. Stop trying to squeeze me for emotion. Tell a good, compelling story with interesting characters and I'll tear up for tragedies that arise from those, not pathetic, pandering nonsense looking to give you "the feels" with maudlin exaggeration.

As for Wolf's Rain, I only cried over what a total waste of potential that show was. All that pedigree (Nobumoto, Kanno, Kawamoto) and a decent premise, and they run it into the ground by meandering, pointless padding, filler episodes, and a rote, paint-by-numbers conclusion. By all rights, it should have been one of the greatest anime ever made, but instead it was blood-boilingly wasteful. It's the worst kind of bad anime, the kind that's bad because it's not as brilliant as it should be. If an anime is just plain terrible, I can forgive it. If an anime has no excuse for its awfulness, if it wastes its potential, that poisons me towards it forever.

I spend more tears thinking of certain episodes of Legend of the Galactic Heroes or moments in Giant Robo. The finale of Escaflowne or Royal Space Force, those make me misty-eyed, not some generic "Isn't this sad?" vacuous pap spoonfed to you for Tumblr gif parties.

Last edited by penguintruth on Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Northlander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:17 pm Reply with quote
My lumpy-throat moments in anime can be rather... unpredictable. Usually, a good plot centered around separation, usually by death, between two people who has formed a strong bond might do it. Though with the added caveat that the moment can't be too dramatical -- the event has to speak for itself.

The first two episodes of Natsume's Book of Friends did this, with the added bonus of me really not seeing it coming. (In fact, when I first heard about the show -- that it was centered around someone seeing spirits -- I rolled my eyes and expected another shounen spectacle.) SO yeah, Ishigaki's monologue at the end really worked me over, and then the dew god scene at the end of the second episode pretty much finished me off.

Another sorta-anime related one I remember well: I bought the soundtrack for Aria the Origination, which I received and listened to quite some time before I had the chance to watch the show itself. So when I got to the track "Lumis Eterne", which would later become spoiler[the song Alice sang during her secret single test... except she did a skip and a jump and became a full fledged Undine in one go instead, well.... hearing Ryou Hirohashi sing AS Alice was just one of those things that took me completely off guard.]
A Mystery

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Gotta say Penguintruth, I am a skilled crybaby, but shows like Kanon never did it for me. I immediately turned Ice Queen there.

Though Naruto's soundtrack was specifically designed to make me tear up, I'm well aware of that Laughing

@SHD: I'll probably try someday, though the outdated animation is quite hard on the eye Wink

Last edited by A Mystery on Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
LiteKnite wrote:
Am I the only one who cried while watching Kill La Kill?

Nope; i didn't really weep, but did get misty eyed at a couple parts, especially towards the end.

I also got misty eyed with some moments in the last episodes of Kill la Kill.
Valhern

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I forgot!

There is one scene that legit put me about to weep. In Hajime no Ippo, when Volg spoiler[loses against Sendo and has to come back to Japan], not only the lead up to this was charged with feelings, but when the music plays up you should be already in the floor, choking tears back.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11