• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Is Streaming The Future of Anime Kids' Programming?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:09 am Reply with quote
There is more to this than streaming when it comes to Nick and Disney TV. With Nickelodeon, they stopped doing educational kids show years ago and it was replaced with Spongebob. And most of the time its reruns that you saw years ago. Kids want to keep engaging in new things.

And with Disney, you don't even see Cartoons anymore on the original Disney channel. All the kids stuff was moved to these premium channels, which most families can't even afford.

So that's pretty much why kids just aren't engaged with TV shows much anymore, they can just pull it up on the internet and watch what they want to watch, when they want to watch it. Or they're out playing, which is far from a bad thing.
aereus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:08 am Reply with quote
I think this trend is mostly an issue of convenience and control. My friend has a toddler whom I babysit once a week, and IMHO it's far more preferable for a parent to be able to control when/what their children watch, than be held to some kind of broadcast schedule. Ditto for inundating them with advertising. Also means they likely go out and play more often.

He's almost 3 years old now, and when asked what toys he wanted for Christmas, he said he didn't need any because he already has lots of toys. Granted he's still quite young, but I can definitely see how not having kids ads shoved in his face all the time would cut down on feelings of "needing" new stuff constantly.

On an offhand note, he absolutely loves Octonauts. Since being introduced to the show, he barely wants to watch anything else. Although Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood is a secondary one he watches as well.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:22 am Reply with quote
I hope that with streaming being a prospect for kids' anime shows means that they have a bigger chance of appearing with their characters and settings left intact and with little to no censoring. Of course, it will be quite a while before that will happen... But with kids' anime being on streaming websites, I think they'll have an advantage over airing on TV, where the commercials have been slowly taking up more minutes of airtime.

Edit: Alright, 3300 posts! Smile
GOTZFAUST

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:54 am Reply with quote
Kids engage with Anime when they see that it takes them more serious than the other kids shows...however when a station gets lazy and just shows things like Pokemon, Beyblade, Yu Gi Oh it doesn't happen.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:22 pm Reply with quote
GOTZFAUST wrote:
Kids engage with Anime when they see that it takes them more serious than the other kids shows...however when a station gets lazy and just shows things like Pokemon, Beyblade, Yu Gi Oh it doesn't happen.

Given that all those shows are merchandise driven it makes a fair bit of sense.
GOTZFAUST

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:26 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
GOTZFAUST wrote:

Given that all those shows are merchandise driven it makes a fair bit of sense.

In unedited format, Digimon, children engaged much more with it due to not dropping serious themes like the USA version did.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Also these streaming services have access to libraries and libraries of older kids' (and adult) programming, allowing them to be discovered by a new generation. There's tons of options out there, and subscribing to a few streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and (for anime) Crunchyroll and FUNimation makes more sense to me than paying for linear cable or satellite. The only advantage those have is if you're a sports fan. Even Netflix's DVD rental service gives you access to almost every piece of filmed entertainment under the sun, as long as it's on DVD.

I haven't watched much linear TV in years, even though my house has DirecTV. Pretty much the only "linear" TV I regularly watch now is Toonami, and the occasional [adult swim] and Nick@Nite reruns. I was a religious Cartoon Network viewer until about 2004 when they changed it up, and I started loosing interest in TV in general. I stopped watching Nick regularly around 2001. I much preferred watching videos when I was younger, and I was binge-watching shows on DVD a decade before binge-watching was even a thing. There's something about being in control of my entertainment that I've always felt more comfortable with.

Also, these services have pretty relaxed censorship policies. The only reason Glitter Force is cut is because of it's target demographic. Plus, I believe it was supposed to be on Nicktoons or something before they pulled the plug. It's great for anime if more of these services produce simulcasts and simuldubs.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Nickelodeon's average daily viewership is down roughly 50% since 2010, and Disney Channel is also in free-fall. (Cartoon Network has been more or less stable over this time, but had a much smaller audience to begin with.)

CN has weathered the storm by appealing to older viewers. All of their daytime shows are designed to be enjoyed by both kids and adults, which is why shows like Adventure Time and Steven Universe have big followings among college students and 20somethings. Meanwhile, Nick's last crossover hit like that was Legend of Korra, and they proved spectacularly inept at capitalizing on that.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:29 pm Reply with quote
epicwizard wrote:
. And yes, I'm aware that the Glitter Force is edited and half of the episodes are skipped,
8 (the number of episodes being omitted) is nowhere near half of 48.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
epicwizard wrote:
. And yes, I'm aware that the Glitter Force is edited and half of the episodes are skipped,
8 (the number of episodes being omitted) is nowhere near half of 48.

Disasterpiece, I'm not surprised.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
It was more of an outlier if anything. I don't think even Winx Club was a hit there. The concept only seems to work if it stars talking animals than humans. See MLP.

If you're talking about Friendship Is Magic, it is not a magical girl show. The show has a larger influence from American superheroes than any type of anime.

Cutiebunny wrote:
I think part of the reason why most of these 'adapted' magical girl series fail is because they lack a lot of what worked for Sailor Moon - a more complicated plot. CCS tried, but the localized released tried to make it all about Syaoran instead of milking the girl market with focusing on Sakura.

While I think the climate is changing, there was the pattern of girls willing to have toys for both girls and boys, whereas boys will only want toys for boys. (Star Wars: The Force Awakens would have never had a female protagonist if times hadn't changed since the 90's though.)

Mohawk52 wrote:
Sadly as peoples' access to whatever tickles their fancy is easy and virtually free, or paid for at well below average cost television as those of us who were born before the internet became the 6th estate are seeing that evolve into taking over the the estate that was since the 1950's television's soul realm; The 5th. Our company here in the UK is constantly in R&D to stay ahead of the latest tech media of tablets and smart mobiles offering the same content that was only available sitting on your settee in front of your receiver in your lounge, or laying in bed. In another 10 or even 5 years all that will be relegated to history and museums like the valve radio and the cathode ray tube. Many broadcasting companies are going to sink beneath the waves because of it with many good technical and skilled labour going down with them. Sad, but that business folks. The only thing that stays the same is that all and everything changes with time. Wink

If you look at the history of media, no entertainment medium has ever completely disappeared. They may become niche and specialized (like radio) or have morphed into some other form (like scrolls becoming books, and books currently transitioning to digital readers), but they are never truly gone, and more importantly, never stopped being profitable.

In the case of TV and the rise of streaming, the production of content will remain unchanged, and there will still be the need to have technicians, producers, executives, and so forth.

I'd say the panic over TV becoming obsolete with the success of online streaming is similar to the panic of movie theaters becoming obsolete when TV took ahold in people's houses. (Though in this case, as every content producer has put its foot in the door in the online realm, at the very least, none of them are worried at all.)

Chester McCool wrote:
So many kids I know love watching those YouTubers. I always assumed the reason kids are the biggest audience of LPers is because they're too poor to actually play the game themselves, so they have to watch other people play it. Im an adult with money so I can just buy a game I want to play whenever I want. It's like back in the day when your friend invited you over and you watched him play video games... it was better than nothing Rolling Eyes

Have you seen those parents who just walk into GameStop and buy whatever hot new M-rated title there is, then the clerk warns them not to buy them for kids, and the parents get mad and buy it anyway? At least from what I've seen, the prevailing parental style currently is to spoil their kids silly, as these parents cannot bear to see their kids feel any negative emotions. (If I recall correctly, it is known as "permissive parenting." The parents want to try to come off as a friend to their kids.)

No, as a YouTube uploader with a great but not spectacular subscription count (about 20,000 currently), and one who pays great attention to the comments, I can confidently say that the typical child who watches YouTube is the child who isn't really that interested in playing video games but is interested enough to spectate. Some of them do have whatever game it is I've put up footage for, some just play a few mobile games here and there, and some don't game at all. The appeal, especially with loud, animated Let's Play people like PewDiePie, is that it feels like they are in the room with the uploader. The uploader's having a blast, screaming his or her head out at everything, that the kids can't help but feel thrilled with them. It's a pseudo-social experience.

H. Guderian wrote:
Some people enjoy the feel of sitting around and being along for the ride. i have a friend that comes over and will insist to not play games, but get plenty of time in watching me play whatever game. It frankly puts me out because i think he'd get bored. But he doesn't. Its just his thing.

Some people donate because they are trying to give back to someone who is fun enough to watch, for a world where physical friends are harder than ever to keep, this means the world to some.

Also some people make donations so they can be e-famous for 5 seconds.

As to the main topic issue, I was streaming a lot in the past year moreso than anything, to the point where I forgot about some shows that weren't on the platforms I used. Streaming is real nice, but it does risk fracturing the audience for anime. Maybe we'll get a big merger in a few years, and won't have to hop between several sites/services.

Regarding watching other people play video games, you hit the nail on the head. There are a lot of people (not just kids) who are excited to watch game footage, even if you're not that good at the game (though it helps if you are). They want to be a spectator. Sports get lots of spectators who are content to just watch people play and are not that interested in playing themselves; video games are no different.

Sometimes, depending on the playthrough, people will use these videos as a guide on what to do. Direct text-based guides can only explain so much; there are some things in games that can only really be explained by doing it while you're recording, then uploading it and having people watch it.

Some donations will happen because some of these uploaders put up stuff that are otherwise too expensive or too difficult to find. (While I will not take donations, I am currently looking for a ViewMaster Interactive Vision, one of the most obscure game systems ever made, as I want to put up playthroughs of Disney's Cartoon Arcade and Muppet Madness. The latter is a very rare game; it sells for about US$100 minimum. I have it, but we gave away our VMIV many years ago.)

EricJ2 wrote:
May I ask WHY we're suddenly talking about YouTubers when the article meant "Streaming" = "Subscription, ie. Netflix/Amazon/Hulu"? Or do we not watch those services from where we post?
I seem to recall the poster mentioning Netflix's Glitter Force as the reason for asking his question.

Because YouTube is also an online content provider and a major force in what children will watch, arguably bigger than Netflix, Amazon, or Hulu. The answer in this article is partially about the psychology and social climate of kids in the early 21st century, and I'd say discussing YouTube is very relevant.

Top Gun wrote:
I guess it makes me an old fart that all of these big streaming service hold no real appeal to me at all, though I do admittedly follow several YouTubers pretty closely.

Eh, don't worry about that. I still get my content primarily through the old-fashion boob tube because I like going to a random channel and watching a random show I've never seen before, or watching many shows over the course of an afternoon (I prefer to watch lots of different shows over binge-watching), or watching shows on low-popularity channels that cannot gather the interest to be online.

For these reasons, I intended to subscribe to Neon Alley, but I forgot about it. I like the whole schedule system TV has, because it allows me to watch things I would otherwise never watch if I had to know what I'm looking for.

That being said, I ought to subscribe to at least one of these (well, we already have Amazon Prime, but I cannot find any show that isn't a top 50 if my life depended on it--it took me an hour to find Race to Escape on it because Amazon Prime's search system absolutely sucks at finding niche shows, and some devices can find them more easily than others, which boggles my mind) as there are more and more quality programs that are available only through one or more of these streaming services.

I'll definitely subscribe to Hulu or Netflix if they adopt a linear system where I can just tune in and watch a series of pre-set, or even randomly chosen shows one episode at a time. No specifications needed: I'll watch any genre in any format from any producer. That's how I like watching TV. It sounds like this is something a lot of viewers are trying to get away from though, so i don't think they'll be doing it in the near future. (I was told elsewhere that Netflix and Hulu will suggest a similar show once you get to the most recently-aired episode of a particular show, but that's not what I want. I want to watch an episode of something, then an episode of another, etc., and have it immediately go to the next one. It's why I have Viz's Weekly Shonen Jump but rarely buy any volume releases: I like the manga magazine format over the volume format.)

AnimeLordLuis wrote:
I don't use streaming services with the exception of Funimation for my Anime needs I have Directv so I'm like the Average American from the 90s just lay back on the couch and watch whatever seems interesting or tune to shows I am currently keeping up on such as Archer or MLP but sadly a lot of my shows are ending like Mythbusters and Gravity Falls which really sucks because now I have less options well I guess there's always reruns. Confused

Mythbusters is ending? Great, so first Littlest Pet Shopand now this. Is the Discovery Company dropping its sandbags or something?

aereus wrote:
He's almost 3 years old now, and when asked what toys he wanted for Christmas, he said he didn't need any because he already has lots of toys. Granted he's still quite young, but I can definitely see how not having kids ads shoved in his face all the time would cut down on feelings of "needing" new stuff constantly.

When I was around 6 or 7 years old, my uncle asked me if I wanted some spending money for Christmas. I said no because I already had plenty of toys. I was absolutely flooded with advertisement all around me--my father was a TV fan (as in he'd spend every waking moment not working, sleeping, chores, or shopping in front of the TV) and I watched a mountainload of kids' programming too. Hence, I think it depends on the individual. The way I see it, advertisements don't make people want to go buy things as much as it taps into a hidden desire to have things and puts them on the surface. If a person never wanted something in the first place, no amount of advertisement will get them to want it.

Interestingly, my parents were frustrated that I turned down my uncle's money. I guess they wanted it for themselves.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3