• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2 Arrested for Uploading The Seven Deadly Sins Manga to Site

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dark13

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:14 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
dark13 wrote:
Are you sure because this what I found when I did that [...] first link a saw and already a series I don't even know Try harder my old Friend Wink

I'm not sure it's allowed to post links for manga scan sites on the forums, so you might want to remove the link in your post.

I can't account for your different search results list, unless you typed something different or Google is tailoring results for you differently. The first link that appeared for me was a site called "Manga Reader".

And I'm not your friend, buddy (South Park reference). You've been on the site for two months.
I just Typed Manga scans, That fine I'm not Your Buddy, Friend.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:15 am Reply with quote
UltScorpion wrote:
I still feel like arresting people isn't a practical way of stopping piracy of any kind from happening. Once again, I feel like Gabe Newell said it best.
“The easiest way to stop piracy is not by putting anti-piracy technology to work. It’s by giving those people a service that’s better than what they’re receiving from the pirates.”

But this is a case of pirates releasing the manga several days before the street date.

There is still much improvement to be made with international and/or digital release of manga, but we can't pretend that that is the issue here. The issue is early release.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:27 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
I went to Google and typed in "manga scan". I clicked the first link that came up. It's an illegal manga scan site.

On the right side of the homepage is a listing of the most popular manga scan series. Now some people keep saying that "the vast majority of scanlations are for old works that would never release overseas". So what "old, obscure series" are showing up in the popular scans list?

Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail, One Piece, Attack on Titan, Hunter x Hunter, Toriko, etc.

Yeaaaahhhh those are pretty old and obscure all right, no chance of those ones releasing overseas. Rolling Eyes

Do you think old works/obscure/niche works will be hugely popular on those leecher websites? They're called old and obscure or niche for a reason. Their fanbase is much smaller.

I'm pretty sure that the websites hosting those manga are not popular with scanlators. Most of them are not popular because when a scanlation group DOES drop a manga after it becomes licensed, these horrible websites don't remove the manga when the scanlators ask them to. (Not the same with some scanlators, they keep doing a series even after it's licensed)

The main source of income for those bad websites are those popular titles. The smaller titles don't mean much to them. Those sites defeat the purpose of scanlation altogether.

Sorry for being off topic...
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:59 am Reply with quote
phoenixalia wrote:
Do you think old works/obscure/niche works will be hugely popular on those leecher websites? They're called old and obscure or niche for a reason. Their fanbase is much smaller.

I'm pretty sure that the websites hosting those manga are not popular with scanlators. Most of them are not popular because when a scanlation group DOES drop a manga after it becomes licensed, these horrible websites don't remove the manga when the scanlators ask them to. (Not the same with some scanlators, they keep doing a series even after it's licensed)

The main source of income for those bad websites are those popular titles. The smaller titles don't mean much to them. Those sites defeat the purpose of scanlation altogether.

Sorry for being off topic...

Whether leecher websites are popular with scanlators wasn't my point. When it comes to Search Engine Optimization, your site has to get a ton of visitors to be at the top of a Google search list 16 million results long. The fact that the top search result for "manga scan" shows on the frontpage of their site that their most popular manga series are from titles that are already legally available in the West, I think that undermines the notion that scanlations are largely obscure/niche series trying to find an audience outside of Japan. Judging by search results, it looks a lot more to just be a way for people to pirate manga that are already legally available.
KilluaX3

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:24 pm Reply with quote
THEY KILLED RED HAWK SCANS!!!
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:

Whether leecher websites are popular with scanlators wasn't my point. When it comes to Search Engine Optimization, your site has to get a ton of visitors to be at the top of a Google search list 16 million results long. The fact that the top search result for "manga scan" shows on the frontpage of their site that their most popular manga series are from titles that are already legally available in the West, I think that undermines the notion that scanlations are largely obscure/niche series trying to find an audience outside of Japan. Judging by search results, it looks a lot more to just be a way for people to pirate manga that are already legally available.

My apologies for misunderstanding. In my opinion, I believe the fault lies with both the scanlators (some of them, especially ones with popular shounen manga) and the bad sites which host manga (most of them being with the word 'manga' btw).

What scanlation was originally meant for was for fans who didn't know Japanese to get to read their favorite manga in English. Most shoujo groups I know at least, delete or remove a series from their website if it gets licensed in English, which is the right thing to do. Not all shoujo/josei/seinen groups do this though.

As for popular shounen manga, well, I agree with what you say (almost). Regarding your last sentence, as much as I want groups to drop a manga after it's licensed, at the same time, I wouldn't be able to read it since I can't buy official legal releases from the US to my side of the world. I don't have that kind of money for the shipping. But that's my problem of being in a far off, small country I guess...

If only there was some way for scanlators to continue scanlating in English but region blocking their stuff to places like the US where most of these popular manga are already available.
aereus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:02 pm Reply with quote
SageModeKakarot wrote:
i still don't understand why they do it, each weeks Shonen Jump for example is available digitally via the Jump App on Android or IOS in English for about 80p, i mean 80p!!!!

To be fair, English Jump only carries a small fraction of the titles in the full WSJ magazine.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:11 pm Reply with quote
aereus wrote:
SageModeKakarot wrote:
i still don't understand why they do it, each weeks Shonen Jump for example is available digitally via the Jump App on Android or IOS in English for about 80p, i mean 80p!!!!

To be fair, English Jump only carries a small fraction of the titles in the full WSJ magazine.

Not to mention English Jump is only available in the US (and Canada?) which, believe it or not, are not the only countries that host people who read manga
Яeverse

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:17 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
aereus wrote:
SageModeKakarot wrote:

Not to mention English Jump is only available in the US (and Canada?) which, believe it or not, are not the only countries that host people who read manga

Its available in 3 other countries, theres always taiwanese jump/
Paulo27

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:17 pm Reply with quote
traitorAIZEN wrote:
Just my unpopular opinion.

If they keep this up, there won't be anyone who would translate/upload it to manga sites anymore. Then without anyone uploading it, there would be less and less people who would know that these mangas exist. Who would even buy mangas they don't know?

If these manga sharing sites/groups close, it would slowly but surely kill the industry.
So you're saying you wouldn't buy a book or whatever at a store before reading it?
This hardly hurts the manga industry in Japan, probably hurts it A LOT in the West, yes, very likely, but not in Japan.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:14 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
aereus wrote:
SageModeKakarot wrote:

Currently it's listed as US, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa.

Funny enough, there are illegal ways to pay to subscribe for the mobile app outside of those listed countries. So you gain some ethics points for supporting the legal English release, then lose some points because how you're paying is technically fraud or something.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Hope the delivery guy was getting bribed enough to risk his job over it. Laughing
dark13

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:53 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
aereus wrote:

Nope, Not here in Canada
dark13

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:55 pm Reply with quote
{First of all, you're over-quoting; second of all, you're serial posting; and, third of all, you're repeating yourself. ~nobahn}
Somewhere

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Have you tried contacting their support?
And you don't use any proxies to show up as some other country, right?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5