• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Perfect Insider

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chex mix

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:17 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
chex mix wrote:
Has the dialogue gotten any less pretentious or have any likeable characters been introduced? I'm barely watching anything this season but shorts and I'm thinking about picking something back up that I tapped out on earlier, but I can't tell from the reviews since they've been glowing since the beginning, which I thought was shit.

The dialogue generally now has much more to do with the actual mystery than any kind of philosophy the characters have. Once in a while they'll still spout something silly but far less often than before.

As for likable characters, no, not really. Core cast is still Magata and Nishinosono, with some secondary characters related to the mystery that don't do much.

Geh. Thanks. I think I'm going to stay away. Laughing
Daerian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:14 am Reply with quote
chex mix wrote:
Has the dialogue gotten any less pretentious or have any likeable characters been introduced?

No, episode 5 is especially strong on pseudo philosophy - we learn that we are lacking creatures, so we create things like love and morality to try and patch that hole inside us, but Shiki was different and more perfect in that she was able to kill to obtain her freedom.
Additionally, spoiler[multiple personality disorder] is in reality higher state of being, because it means you didn't compromise with yourself when growing up and changed yourself into one person, instead staying true to yourself.

Yes, I'm using hyperbole. Unfortunately only little. This show has very bad pacing and is far too much pretentious for pretentiousness sake, which is very unfortunate, because base material could have been good (didn't read the book, so I don't know). You can really see this show has the same director as Elfen Lied, it has the same mistakes (only base material is hundreds time better).
Additionally, I might be alone in this, but I really think that spoiler[multiple personality disorder] is laziest thing you can do in any detective or crime fiction.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:04 am Reply with quote
Just want to drop in to put in my theory that she may have been pregnant. It fits into her father saying that he won't let her do something, that there may have been someone else with her the entire time, and why the parents of the hypothetical child may have been killed. Even fitting the ideas of a person, like her having a twin as a child that made up a missing part, where the child might also be considered the same person but different body, thus why more was written on the computer for after she was dead.

Magata's corpse creepily appearing was a magic trick to divert attention while the 15/14 year old escaped.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:31 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Just want to drop in to put in my theory that she may have been pregnant. It fits into her father saying that he won't let her do something, that there may have been someone else with her the entire time, and why the parents of the hypothetical child may have been killed. Even fitting the ideas of a person, like her having a twin as a child that made up a missing part, where the child might also be considered the same person but different body, thus why more was written on the computer for after she was dead.

Magata's corpse creepily appearing was a magic trick to divert attention while the 15/14 year old escaped.

That would be a huge stretch, but not above an anime to do. Probably fitting with the comment about the killer being there from the start.

On the pseudo philosophical dialogue, it is, but I don't think the show agree with it, its just having the guy say that stuff.
Daerian

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:22 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

On the pseudo philosophical dialogue, it is, but I don't think the show agree with it, its just having the guy say that stuff.

Unfortunately, even if show doesn't endorse his point of view it's the only point of view really presented (Nishinosono is most of the time unable to say more than "you are wrong Sensei!" without any real rebuttal) and you just have to constantly listen to his ramblings while watching.

Additionally, Saikawa and Shiki being presented as great geniuses and real academics is cringe worthy too, because author doesn't have any idea how real academic work is supposed to look like in modern times - they (and entire isolated laboratory for writing computer programs... without unrestrained net access!) are pretty much not example, but antithesis of modern academic work.
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Id, ego, superego: watching the dynamics between instructor and student in this episode was quite illuminating. This episode gives strong credence as to whether Freudian constructs can be aptly illustrated and applicable in an anime setting. I wish the Moe--Saikawa exchange toward the latter part of the episode had continued ad infinitum. I was really enamored and drawn in by it.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm started to think that maybe Magata and the director killed themselves.

Or her sister and/or his wife must've found out about their affair and elaborated a plan to orchestrate their death by making it look like they killed themselves.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A recap episode in a Noitamina series, no less, where I'm pretty sure the only other recent recap (from Gatchaman Crowds)

Uhhh... Crowds isn't a noitaminA show
Via_01

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... I do usually agree with Nick, but this review felt harsher than it should have been. Sure, not a whole lot happened, but I didn't feel it was a "recap" episode either. This reminded me mostly of the "let's review all the clues so far" segment many mystery stories have at some point or another.

I'm also of the opinion that Souhei is ok. Not a great lead, but definitely not a terrible character either. His speech towards Moe on Episode 5 actually made some sense to me: Moe can't just assume that every person works the same way and shares the same values regarding life and death. Episode 6 also gave me some small insight on Souhei: he said that, during his high school years, he would've loved to join the closed environment Magata and her team worked on, but current Souhei says this while looking at the open see, meaning that right know he prefers to be outside, engaging with other people, regardless of how tiresome it may be.

So yeah, I think Souhei is OK. You can come murder me if you want.
phoenix72

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Daerian wrote:

Additionally, Saikawa and Shiki being presented as great geniuses and real academics is cringe worthy too, because author doesn't have any idea how real academic work is supposed to look like in modern times - they (and entire isolated laboratory for writing computer programs... without unrestrained net access!) are pretty much not example, but antithesis of modern academic work.

It is probably more along the lines of the Head writer, for the anime adaptation, has no idea how modern academic work is done. Not only did the drama adaptation get it right with flying colors (and had better pacing as it did 10 episodes with 1 hour each with 2 episodes per book vs this series only covering 1 book), but the author of the books Mori Hiroshi was an assistant professor of architecture before he started writing.
chito895

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I was expecting a bad grade from Nick for this episode, and I understand why. It felt like a recap episode, but in my opinion, it wasn't that bad. For some, this episode might have wasted a lot of time in something they already knew, but to me, a person who is awful at details, analysis, and info retention, this episode was a treat. It was also delightful to see Moe getting drunk by alcohol-free beer. That whole scene felt to me like another example of her immaturity: just because she is in an stressful situation, she thinks alcohol will solve all her problems. She thinks that's what mature adults do, and as she thinks she's one of them, Moe just want to try it.

I think I'm also part of the theory that Shiki had a baby, who she raised during her stay in her room. There are ballons, toys, dolls, and that instrument she asked for that was left outside. Or of course, I might be totally wrong and she just wanted all of that to please her spoiler[other personalities]

And then the final part was thrilling as well! I knew something had happened during spoiler["Shiki's escape"], and the flashback to the moment spoiler[they kill Shiki's parents]. Wow, she looked creepy as hell!

Something inside me also think s that instead of "Everything goes spoiler[Fifteen]", it is instead "Everything goes spoiler[Fucked]"
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I also think Nick is being way too harsh with episode 6. Sure, this episode did some recapping, but it was well handled. I enjoyed every single minute of episode 6.

And it was nice to have a slow episode to catch my breath. I feel refreshened and ready to take on the last 5 episodes.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:45 am Reply with quote
I liked getting a basic recap of all the facts of the case without the philosophical mumbo jumbo to confuse everything.

I like the theory that she raised a kid in there, and would even bet that some of the people in the lab knew and aren't telling (especially the guy who tried to bribe Sohei). Another clue: one of the set of fifteen books on Shiki's bookshelf was a collection of children's literature, and the camera focused on it long enough for it to be noticeable. So her room was filled with toys, dolls, and kid's books...
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:22 am Reply with quote
Eight minutes is an exaggeration, but this is most likely from the source material; Japanese mystery novels are frustratingly obsessed with summarizing all the salient facts every chapter or two in the interest of fairness. They would like the readers to have all the information they need to solve the mystery and then still surprise them with the solution.
Let's just hope it doesn't get bogged down in an endless explanation of all the theories the detective had but discarded, like some other honkaku mystery novels do...
navycherub

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:15 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I liked getting a basic recap of all the facts of the case without the philosophical mumbo jumbo to confuse everything.

Same. I like the characters and all, but this is also a mystery show, and I found myself initially angry with a 'recap' and by the end happy they went with it because I didn't realize how much I had forgotten by this point. If I was watching this show after it was completed it wouldn't be as useful, but one episode a week naturally leads to some forgotten details, so I appreciated the summary.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8