• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Evangelion Theme Song Writer Makes Over Hundred Million Yen in Royalties

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
ANN wrote:
She currently only has 100,000 yen ($829) in the bank, however, because her ex-husband bought a cave in Cappadocia (a region in Turkey known for its cave dwellings) for about 300 million yen ($2.5 million).

Why? And that far away from Japan, too.

The region is known for its caves. They're used for housing, hotels, bars, etc. I believe these are man-made caves and exist since antiquity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cappadocia

https://www.google.pt/search?q=caves+turkey+cappadocia&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=675&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CD4QsARqFQoTCKzejdjX8scCFYRXGgodwA8BqA
maoyen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:02 pm Reply with quote
A cave? Should've invested in the Money Hole
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations! *claps his hands while reminiscing the infamous ending of the TV series* Laughing
Birriaman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:
Hameyadea wrote:
ANN wrote:
She currently only has 100,000 yen ($829) in the bank, however, because her ex-husband bought a cave in Cappadocia (a region in Turkey known for its cave dwellings) for about 300 million yen ($2.5 million).

Why? And that far away from Japan, too.

The region is known for its caves. They're used for housing, hotels, bars, etc. I believe these are man-made caves and exist since antiquity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cappadocia

https://www.google.pt/search?q=caves+turkey+cappadocia&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=675&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CD4QsARqFQoTCKzejdjX8scCFYRXGgodwA8BqA

See? The topic has now become scholar! Very Happy
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Plus Eva is long. It's like thousands of minutes.
Joke right? It's 650 minutes...Less if you skip the songs and previews. Unless you're including the movies...which you shouldn't be, since this song has nothing to do with them.

I find the cave thing kinda hilarious...

I wanna know how much the composer made. The lyrics and great and all but the CATCHY aspect of the song is from the composer...

Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:

$1 million, but over 20 years - that's only $50,000 a year. I could spend that. Very Happy

It says ANNUALLY. That's, per year. Unless that was a typo...
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Now thats the life.
SillyPerson

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Well, she composed one of my favorite songs, which is the opening song to one of my favorite shows ever made. But that ridiculously expensive cave her EX-husband bought in Turkey? That is just weird. As for her not watching the anime, that's understandable, she's a composer, not necessarily an anime fan. Plenty of artists and performers never view their own work... plenty of actors never watch their own movies, plenty of people involved in making anime never watch the final product because they are already busy on the next project by then. There is a big difference between people involved in creating something and people who are fans of it... the fans want to watch or listen to whatever they are fans of, and the creators usually want to create new stuff and move on to something else. I would also note that her song A Cruel Angel's Thesis is conspicuously absent from the 3 recent Rebuild of Evangelion movies and probably will also be absent from the 4th one. Probably this is because of all the new music being composed for the Rebuild movies like the Hikaru Utada songs and so on. Still, I hope they work A Cruel Angel's Thesis into the 4th movie at some point, perhaps as background music (it is used as background music at the very end of the last episode of the series, probably to underscore the constant theme in all Evangelion media that "the beginning is the same as the end").
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:17 pm Reply with quote
omiya wrote:

ANN wrote:
Oikawa revealed that she made over a hundred million yen (currently equivalent to $828,796) annually in royalties from the piece.

I'm curious whether "over a hundred million yen" is the amount she averaged per year, or that was the highest amount she made in a specific year.

The following statement makes me believe that it might be an average, which is more impressive:
Quote:
However, she said that she made about one yen (0.8 cent) each time the song was sung in karaoke and that pachinko royalties were more lucrative — "at least 30 million yen [$250,000]" a year and at times 100 million.

If the pachinko royalties themselves reached 100 million yen at times, that would appear to argue against "over 100 million yen" being a peak royalty amount.

That said, if 100 million yen per year is an average, someone having only 100,000 yen in the bank after 300 million was spent is concerning. Hopefully she has a lot tied up in investments that aren't reflected by her bank account.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Seska1973 wrote:
The News talk about her Work and such, and you guys are just curious in this Money thing. Are you Jealous? Do you think inside he could trow the money into your Home instant into a Cave?

Or do you think here is some other reason at work? That this Cave only existed to spend/burn a Big amount of Money to pay less Fees?

It just raises alarm bells when her ex-husband and not her current husband if she has one is spending her money on a cave.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:29 pm Reply with quote
XerneasYveltal wrote:
Congratulations! *claps his hands while reminiscing the infamous ending of the TV series* Laughing

LOL awesome post. I finished a rewatch of it just days ago.

I would totally karaoke this. My friends and I love it.
omegaproxy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:45 pm Reply with quote
She makes that much and has 800$ in the bank.. because of her husband buying up caves and what ever else he wants i'm sure.
Its so annoying reading things like these, dumb people with alot of
money to burn.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
I've never been to Japan so I do not know the relative popularity of Eva compared to modern series that receive more media attention. I think that most people in karaoke bars are likely from the era that Eva was most popular but since that time more modern series have taken media spotlight.

The articles didn't say "karaoke bars," they just said "karaoke." And establishments with private karaoke rooms are both commonplace in big cities and heavily-attended by teenagers. I also think you overestimate how much time has passed the series by, given how regularly and widespread Evangelion-related products and advertisements come up. (Besides, the movies have made it fresh on public - or at least fandom - consciousness again.)

Quote:
But, I was mostly trying to say that despite Eva's convoluted and almost nonsense plot people keep throwing money at the series. I was interested after viewing some of the series, but my enjoyment substantially waned as the story continued. I don't know why other people enjoy Eva anymore.

Well, that's just you. A lot of people do, and a lot of other people don't necessarily enjoy it but still respect it and what it's accomplished.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yaki-udon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I find it interesting that the Turkey national soccer team plays in Europe even though it is located in Asia.

I've never seen Evangelion, but I love the opening song.
amagee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:

Cappadocia is filled with tons of wacky rock formations and caves. Some caves are totally man-made these days but, very often, back in the day, small caves would be expanded by residents for a wide range of things from simple homes to temples and tomb complexes.

Cappadocia is isolated by the lands around it and its summers are notoriously brutal. Caves make great sense for their insulation and consistent temperature.

yaki-udon wrote:

I find it interesting that the Turkey national soccer team plays in Europe even though it is located in Asia.

It's in both Europe and Asia. The capitol, Istanbul, is in Europe.

Getting to Evangelion, however, I'm kind of dumbfounded about creators never seeing the things they make (or make stuff for in this case). I see articles or hear interviews all the time wherein an actor, songwriter, etc. says they have never and will never watch what they made. I'm not an actor but this kind of stuff baffles me.
Korogoro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:29 am Reply with quote
This article was such a ride from beginning to end Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4