• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Isn't More Anime Made For Americans?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Could Space Dandy count as an anime specifically for Americans? If it does, then it was somewhat successful on Cartoon Network.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:52 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:

Late night TV anime really are just like OVAs with infomercials. They subsist on a tiny audience and are virtually invisible to mainstream Japanese. Expecting them to hit mainstream Americans is even more unlikely.

This - many anime are made because the LN/manga/game sold like hotcakes, and making an anime is just a way to bump those numbers some. (And once the numbers are bumped, they're done with anime - which is why we see so few second seasons.)

There's a whole integrated media machine that simply doesn't exist in the US.

On the same note, as Justin has noted before, anime also depends on media and goods sales to make money (airing the anime itself rarely does). And again, we run up the same thing - the dedicated collector really isn't so much of a thing in the US. Cartoon goods are seen as 'kid stuff'.

Which brings up yet another thing - to many Americans, "anime=cartoons" and "cartoon=kid stuff". Cartoons for mature audiences (by which I mean thematic, not skin) are thin on the ground, and rarely widely successful.

Three strikes...
Seska1973

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Could Space Dandy count as an anime specifically for Americans? If it does, then it was somewhat successful on Cartoon Network.

Well, some special Episode with this Music School "Viva all". Yeah, you can see 'murica

i do not know, if its allowed to post a youtube link. but search for "Space Dandy Viva all" and you have US feelings all over
REDOG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Give it a week, then all those who want anime to meet western sensibilities will come out of hiding.

There is still a strong movement of fans in anime, that want anime made with the west strongly in mind. For them the draw of anime is not that it is different than the west, but the Japanese use of the medium for everything, which the west doesn't really do.

"Japanese use of the medium for everything, which the west doesn't really do." is already a huge difference, a polarity difference even.

Besides...I am one. But not from these reasons.

Hell, if you look hard on the internet, you find blogs of movie lovers who give a sub layer of extremely underground experimental so called "alternative anime" which look more like the quay brothers and other european experimental animation than anything anime.

So we have the highly experimental. What i had never seen is an anime which treats the family dynamic and social life of children the way certain canadian or american or british cartoons treat the subject. It would be really interesting experiments to see an anime that tries to be "jacob two two" or "peanuts" or even "arthur". I mean, to leave all the over the top plots and elements and express the themes and plots in a more realistic and subdued less wacky way.

Or in animal themes, a cross between innocent and realistic anthropomorphisation in the style of "animals of farthing wood" or going to the extreme dark realism like "plague dogs" etc etc.

But as many here say, it will probably turn out to be a limp cultural hybrid and nothing else.

Also, i wish we had statistics of the prime reasons non japanese watch anime, because it is not similar to american shows plotwise or artwise? or like manga crusader says... it become more and more because of sex? I will bet on the second reason first and foremost.

Last edited by REDOG on Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

I see Watanabe's works as less specifically pandering to the west than they are more openly referencing the American pop-culture that Watanabe has been exposed to over the years. He's one of the few anime directors/producers I can think of who seems to unapologetically look beyond otaku & Japanese culture, be it having Spike quoting Bruce Lee or Space Dandy pursued by Dr Gel in the Statue of Liberty's ball gagged head.

Panty & Stocking might be one thats "trying" to ape American cartoons (although it has as much in common with Dead Leaves & FLCL as it does with any American show I can think of) with its episodic double feature structure etc. Unfortunately, to me it just felt like something that would be cooked up by a tryhard teenager who wanted to make an edgy version of the Powerpuff Girls.

Last edited by Lemonchest on Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
jenny10-11

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Thinking of a show made by non-Americans to cater to an American demographic makes me think of the Doctor Who movie fiasco (and the thankfully never existant tv show reboot for American audiences). Sometimes a show works best because it's not targetted specifically for an American audience (or what the execs think an American audience wants).

There's plenty of decent American animation made for American audiences (including animesque), so why get the Japanese to make shows which conform to a mainstream American standard, when we (or at least I) love them for not being mainstream American shows?

No hate intended in this, I love Trigun, Durarara, Archer and Avatar all the same.

Last edited by jenny10-11 on Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
kotomikun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The reason most of us like anime in the first place is that it's something different; it's an alternative perspective from what we usually get. It doesn't do the same things American television does, or fit into the same format. Why would you want to try to force it to be something it's not?

I've thought this for years, but every time I say it I get hit with a paraphrase of the W-word... even on this site.

The vast majority of the most popular anime in the US are basically "Star Wars, except anime." That is, an action-fantasy-sci-fi epic hero tale with plenty of drama and almost always a male protagonist, plus a small amount of foreign-ness so it seems unique (ninjas, giant robots, a cross between zombies and Godzilla), and whenever possible, extremely dark angst/tragedy/horror to create a sense of depth and legitimacy. The second rung is really zany comedies because Japan is so weird you guys; sometimes there's some overlap with the top genre, like Gurren Lagann or Angel Beats.

Way below that, you have everything else, which usually has only niche popularity even within the anime sphere, but sometimes you get a dark horse. Death Note is actually #1 on the myanimelist list, because America is obsessed with crime dramas (I've lost count of how many my family watches). Clannad and Toradora are still very popular, probably because they introduced a lot of young people to romance stories (without the "chick flick" stigma). A few straight horror/fanservice shows are pretty high up the list--Elfen Lied, Highschool of the Dead--likely for an analogous reason. Madoka and Monogatari are doing pretty well despite their offbeatness; something about Shaft, I guess. But in between the exceptions, there's a lot of the stereotypical.

I mean, the very existence and overuse of the "W-word" proves that, by and large, people don't actually like weird stuff. Unless it's funny, or they're enjoying it ironically. Fortunately, we don't reject people from the community just for being weird... usually.
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
Part of why I like anime over american TV is that it most times has a beginning, middle and end.

Agreed.

Even though, many series I enjoy don't have an end. They end up being incomplete adaptions...and that's the side of anime I hate...

Hell, a couple of the anime that I watched that weren't DBZ or Pokemon...were Aria of the Scarlet Ammo and Dream Eater Merry. And, I really enjoyed those 2 shows. But, I don't think they'll be getting season 2s...
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Justin wrote:
When you make something creative for an audience that does not include yourself, you're basically trying to predict the tastes of a country based on preconceived notions and stereotypes. You don't get subtle nuances, you don't get obscure cultural references, and you don't REALLY understand the full baggage of that country's history and how it influences people's thought process. The entire creative endeavor is predicated on the creator trying to put themselves in a mindset of someone they don't know or understand. Very often, the resulting project ends up sort of bland and generic. You end up spending a lot of effort clumsily giving your potential audience what you think they want, which is essentially pandering.

This perfectly explains why trying to make anime shows fit for "mainstream viewership" will always end on a bad note. If the entire anime industry were to try to cater to Western sensibilities just for the sake of trying to be accepted by the general public, the shows will end up being creatively stagnant and people will eventually lose interest. I enjoy watching anime shows for the reason that they bring much of what most modern-day animated shows here in the U.S. don't (drama, action, romance, etc.) plus certain cultural perspectives that one would only find in Japan.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:44 pm Reply with quote
animechic420 wrote:
And besides, when has America ever come up with something that was specifically targeted towards Asians??? Nobodies perfect.

Stan Lee made "Heroman", which was never licensed in America.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:54 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
On the same note, as Justin has noted before, anime also depends on media and goods sales to make money (airing the anime itself rarely does). And again, we run up the same thing - the dedicated collector really isn't so much of a thing in the US. Cartoon goods are seen as 'kid stuff'.

Which brings up yet another thing - to many Americans, "anime=cartoons" and "cartoon=kid stuff". Cartoons for mature audiences (by which I mean thematic, not skin) are thin on the ground, and rarely widely successful.

Eh, Japan isn't so different as you think. Ever since Western anime fandom has begun, there's been this prevailing myth that anime (of the kind the fandom likes) is accepted or common or widely successful in Japan. Most Japanese people absolutely do think "anime=cartoons" and "cartoon=kid or family stuff or for geeks." Not different at all.

Dedicated collectors are a thing in the US, as a trip to any Comic-Con, Star Wars event, or Star Trek event will show. Yes, those dedicated fans and collectors have traditionally been seen as weird or geeky, but that's equally the case in Japan. (Considering how Marvel movies have taken over, there's at least a decent case that collectors and geeks are better thought of in the US right now than Japan, despite the oasis that is Akihabara.)

Anime for mature audiences are no more "widely successful" in Japan than cartoons for mature audiences are in the US. There's the occasional breakout hit (like Attack on Titan), but for the most part they're less successful than Archer, much less FOX's bevy of primetime animated shows or South Park. (Continuity has become significantly more common on US television as well, with even network police procedurals like The Mentalist having levels of continuity that only a few shows like The X Files or Twin Peaks did two decades ago.)
PusoPimp

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Well, it isn't always true that the people involved in such productions are totally clueless. In the case of IGPX and Big O Jason DeMarco served as a liason between Cartoon Network and Bandai/Sunrise and offered some creative input to help there.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I think a big part of this distinction depends on how you wound up getting into anime, or perhaps more specifically what you were looking for when you found it. I think a lot of anime fans came into it as a particular niche of general nerd culture, as something quirky and different and "other," and obviously for them the Japanese-ness of it all is one of the main attractions. Hell, there are probably people out there who picked up anime solely out of interest in Japanese culture as a whole. But then there are others, myself included, who became anime fans as an extension of our general love for animation. We got stuck on anime because it does a whole slew of things which are extremely rare to nonexistent in Western animation: serialized storytelling, mature-target shows that aren't sitcoms, taking on every genre under the sun. I've often thought that if American animation featured more shows like Avatar and Batman: TAS, and fewer shows like...well, everything else, I may not have ever needed to find anime in the first place. I don't like anime series simply because they're Japanese, but because they're good animated shows, and as it stands the vast majority of my favorites tend to be those with somewhat Western sensibilities, or at least those that aren't targeted at any specific niche demographic.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
I'm actually really glad anime doesn't follow the week after week, never ending American format. Do we really want stuff like the Simpsons, where the characters never develop or age for 20 years? Or even worse, something like American comics where anything meaningful is eventually retconned or rebooted to keep the status quo? Part of why I like anime over american TV is that it most times has a beginning, middle and end. With how bad 'filler' in anime can be, I'd rather not see it adopt an American structure.

Actively forcing a creative work to cater to a demographic can also hurt artistic freedom- unless that artist already has a western influence (like Nightow or Otomo). But some works are intensely Japanese, and loved the whole world over - such as Ghibli's movies. I mean, Spirited Away is as Japanese as it gets and it won an Oscar. That said co-productions aren't always bad. The Animatrix is often considered the best thing to come out of the Matrix franchise.

You mean the endless shows that are directed before having the story thought up,and that may result in an finale where Dexter becomes a lumberjack?

I keep going back at mentioning Babylon 5 over and over, but there is a good reason why I do so. The scriptwriter wrote the a 5-year planned show in detail years before production started, making reearch on science, religion & mythology, philosophy, and other topics, going constantly to a Public Library. That you don't see often in American (I dare say Western) shows. He basically called it a ''5 year novel made for TV, where each episode was a chapter of a book''.

Anime generally wins, even with shorter stories. Hell, I prefer stories I can finish during my lifetime. Wink

I haven't seen the whole of the Animatrix. Only the first 3 chapters of the film.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:15 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Ever since Western anime fandom has begun, there's been this prevailing myth that anime (of the kind the fandom likes) is accepted or common or widely successful in Japan.

That isn't a myth. It just isn't the shows that a lot of the fandom is thinking of.

John Thacker wrote:
Most Japanese people absolutely do think "anime=cartoons" and "cartoon=kid or family stuff or for geeks." Not different at all.

That is definitely true in general. The big hits are family friendly shows. Some of those still do quite well among adults though. ANN had the age breakdown for one of the more recent Conan movies which made it clear we aren't just looking at a parent taking the kid(s).

REDOG wrote:
But as many here say, it will probably turn out to be a limp cultural hybrid and nothing else.

Either that or if they actually succeeded, indistinguishable from an American attempt at it at which point why do 'fans' care?

REDOG wrote:
Also, i wish we had statistics of the prime reasons non japanese watch anime, because it is not similar to american shows plotwise or artwise? or like manga crusader says... it become more and more because of sex? I will bet on the second reason first and foremost.

I highly doubt that. You can get more graphic sex with American cable shows than you will find in any non hentai anime. I'm not saying that sex isn't an appealing aspect of many series for many people. However, if you're looking for sexual content and trying to decide between US tv and JP anime, anime loses massively. So at that point it isn't the sex itself, but how it gets handled that is the deciding factor.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8