• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show -The Worst Anime of All Time

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:49 am Reply with quote
A few shows come to mind for me. Two in particular. Infinite Stratos is without a doubt the most annoying garbage I've had the displeasure of sitting through.
The only reason I finished it was because my friends seemed to like it so I thought there would at least be something in the show to redeem itself because I was familiar with their taste... there was nothing. I won't even dare and try Infinite Stratos 2.

Also... Evangelion. Yes I know it was a groundbreaking show and pretty much everybody seems to praise it, but for me personally there wasn't a single episode that I enjoyed. It's not as 'bad' as Infinite Stratos, but instead it was way more 'boring'. I was bored out of my mind when I tried to watch it, I don't remember how and why I got through the whole show.
I have no problem with people liking this show because I appreciate what it did within the anime industry, but this was definitely not a show for me and I don't wish to ever see it again.

For the rest there's Itsuka Tenma no Kuro Usagi, Kotoura-san, Blood-C and, as featured in the article, Skelter Heaven, but Infinite Stratos still remains the worst of all.

Last edited by thekingsdinner on Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:52 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LaBlue

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:50 am Reply with quote
I'm just happy we managed to get away from the god-awful animes like Shuffle and School Days. Thank god. Now those were terrible.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:54 am Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
Quote:
Great bait guy.

That was not bait.

Even if it was, I didn't believe it.
itachi06103570

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes when you look at a article and someone mentions what the worst anime they've seen they mention whatever show comes to mind. Usually in this situation anybody who looks is normally interested in knowing why that was unanimously agreed upon to be the worst. This is one of those situations because earlier I forgot the person who mentioned it said papillion rose was the single worst thing they've seen I said OK let's see if this deserves what some people are claiming to be the worst.

*30 horrifying minutes later*

Whelp I thought school days was historically bad but I was proven wrong papillion rose is without a shadow of a doubt the worst thing I've seen yet in my 26 years on this planet.

It goes without saying that anyone who thought that spoiler[ a cat that's an obvious luna clonehave a #$%# condom on it's tail is nuts, anyone who thought that having minions who sqiurt fire from their tits is crazy and anyone who let's a sentient cat give you head is yep you guessed it insane.]

I give this waste of an abomination WTF/10. I usually am a good sport with crude humor but this right here just takes the cake and eat every slice.
PetitePuff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:15 pm Reply with quote
i didn't know people hated Guilty Crown that much Confused i mean, know the writing is pretty awful, but the visuals are so good! Smile

i've not watched any of truly the horrible or trashy anime out there, at least i don't think so... (what's the point?). my personal worst anime that i've watched all the way through (and that's only 'cause my dad bought me the DVD set Rolling Eyes) is Chrono Crusade.
sburstall

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I can understand why Frozen is mentioned, it's horrible in all ways. Disney just phoned this one in.
patrickdrazen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:28 pm Reply with quote
There's not much I actively HATE, but boredom to me is unforgiveable. And the one title I really watched once and gave up before it had ground to a close was "Legend of Lemnear". Which totally surprised me; Satoshi Urushihara is a fine manga artist, and draws some of the best-looking nekkid women in anime. Anime smile But this was a mishmosh of swords and sorcery cliches. I already liked his film "Plastic Little", but Lemnear makes Plastic Little look like Shakespeare!
XakonXIV

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Musashi Gundoh for me, if only because it's just about the only anime I've seen that damn near gave me motion sickness. Stuff like Garzey's Wing and Mad Bull is at the very least entertaining, whereas Gundoh is just unbearingly painful to sit through after the first five-or-so minutes.
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:22 pm Reply with quote
[EDIT: No listing ~Zalis]
Via_01

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Wouldn't be able to say really. I'm an advocate of making a diference between something I don't like and something that's actually bad. I didn't like the third Madoka movie at all, but many seemed to like it and I recognize that it has a lot of merit, despite the ending which I really hated. I also recognize that IS is bad, but I enjoyed it for what it's worth. Even so, I wouldn't call it the worst thing I've seen.

Worst anime... I really can't come up with one. I have a lot that I don't like, but I've yet to see something as awful as what is mentioned in this article. So I suppose I simply won't answer.
neilcfreak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Kyo Kara Maoh is still the worst anime I've ever seen. I really tried giving it a chance but after 30+ episodes it was just the same bullshit over and over.
sillykeronian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Hiro94 wrote:
Honestly?Any of the monogatary series.My brother forced me to watch this one series where the main character and his sister brush each other's teeth.I was like seriously dude this entertains you?I think it was towards the end of the series if I'm not mistaken

Ahhh, man, but Bakemonogatari is so good! I love that series! I'm wanting to watch it all to the newest season/series, but, yeaaahh - Nisemonogatari is going to be interesting to get through.

However, I have one - how about Dokuro-chan? And, extra-special mention to the Second Season? Literally, the worst Anime series I have watched so far (and even Panty & Stocking I rate higher) all the way through. Lackluster animation, horrible & sometimes unfunny comedy, and much more. And, what REALLY drags it down is the second season -shudder- Yes, it's not on the same "amazing tier of bad" as you have given us, but they're still pretty bad.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I agree with a couple of the posters that a lot people on these threads are mentioning topics they simply don't like including incest, lolis, etc, and claiming that particular work the worst because they include those topics, versus like Zac said something that is fundamentally bad.

I mean case in point, Monogatari is constantly one of the best selling works both as a light novel and anime, with volumes generally selling at least 10k in the first week, and there is a reason they have animated basically the whole work. And you say its bad because of a tooth brushing scene that invokes incestuous fetishes.

I have had the unfortunate pleasure buying Spectral force for a buck during one of ADVs sales and it was genuinely bad, and had basically no relation to the game series that its based on.

Others that I would put up there are Lamune Knight and AD police. The latter was especially bad as it was related to Bubblegum Crisis.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Whats with all these people listing anime with above average popularity and production values?

DuelGundam2099 wrote:

-Puni Puni Poemii: Basically softcore lolicon under the guise (and horrifically failing at) comedy complete with all the obnoxiousness Excel Saga was made of. Good call to New Zealand for outlawing this trash. 1/10 not funny.

>I did not think it was funny so it was a good thing it got banned.

haha, do I even need to comment on this?

Quote:
Haruhi Suzumiya and K-ON sentenced the industry into the current fad of slice of life shows being the "in" hip thing.

But I was a fool for even continue reading it.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:00 pm Reply with quote
sillykeronian wrote:
Hiro94 wrote:
Honestly?Any of the monogatary series.My brother forced me to watch this one series where the main character and his sister brush each other's teeth.I was like seriously dude this entertains you?I think it was towards the end of the series if I'm not mistaken

Ahhh, man, but Bakemonogatari is so good! I love that series! I'm wanting to watch it all to the newest season/series, but, yeaaahh - Nisemonogatari is going to be interesting to get through.

If you liked Bakemonogatari, chances are, you'll still like Nisemonogatari, even though it's definitely the "worst" in the series. From what we know, NisiOisin, the original novel writer, was trying his best to write in as many weird fetishes as possible. Not necessarily realistic fetishes, but creative awkward fetishes that made no sense to anyone but him. If I may say from several of his previous works, he tends to take his "creativity" a bit far when experimenting in his series. However, it's still clever, albeit uncomfortable to some people, and that's the value I get from things like the toothbrush scene and the drinking from a finger scene. Watch Nisemonogatari with no fear. Focus on what you liked in Bake because it's still there. Once Nise is over, just move onto the rest. Frankly, the stuff after Nise is my favorite anyway because it explores and plays with its characters in ways that even Bakemonogatari wouldn't dare to do. And there's plot progression throughout. Nekomonogatari (Black), which is the next thing after Nisemonogatari, is my favorite part of the series, even though I dislike the heroine character it focuses around as a person.

Personally, I don't have anything I really didn't like. I mean, there were things I just didn't care for, but I usually gave up on them early enough to say I have no right to judge them myself. If it was really that bad, I probably just forgot about it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 15