• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What's With The Bootlegs On Amazon?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikeski

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:20 pm Reply with quote
When I get the Wall-O-Boots results on Amazon, I just find a boot of a recently-released Funimation item being sold by the Taiwanese-crap-goods storefronts, and let Funi know about them. Funi moves infinitely more money through Amazon than I do, and their attack lawyers always need more chew toys.

It'll probably work even better once they have Universal's bigger-better-faster attack lawyers, too.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:46 pm Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
4K? Brought to you from the same people who brought you the 3D tv tech, and you can see where that ended up. Wink

Yes: Clubbed to death by enraged wilding hate-mobs with lead pipes and spiked baseball bats, screaming "DIEDIEDIEDIEDIE!! (pow!) THAT'S for making me pay more money in the theaters! (pow!) THAT'S for three Dreamworks movies a year! (bash!) THAT'S for remaking Clash of the Titans! (clobber!) THAT'S for thinking you could make me buy Blu-ray, and yes that was three years ago and everybody ended up buying it, but I still hate you!!! (whamwhamwhamwhamwham!!!) Twisted Evil "

Can't really put that on the same marketing level as a product half the audience currently doesn't even know exists, doesn't quite grasp the concept of even when you DO explain it, and wasn't exactly sold on those Best Buy commercials that made the customers look like moronic idiots. ("Look, honey, they're twins!")
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
(I've heard rumors that one major streaming service that produces a lot of its own shows internally admits that they really just want everything to be in 4K because the files are too huge to pirate easily, and are less likely to get leaked before release.)
That site underestimates the resources, drive, and resiliency of pirates. At least in the anime world, downloaders who say they're too poor to afford $18 SAVE releases from Funimation routinely manage to buy new high-end PCs, the latest high-res monitors, 6 TB hard drives and RAID arrays, and high-speed uncapped Internet access to download it all. If worthwhile 4K content becomes available, pirates will find the means and the patience to acquire it.

configspace wrote:
Regarding Amazon Prime Video for anime, I do want to warn people that:
1) the quality is crap
2) a fair amount--most of the Sentai titles I checked out--were the broadcast version, not home video version. This goes for titles that have been added to Prime a good while after their DVD/BD release
Of course, similar things could be said of anime-specific streaming services, as well. When has CR ever gotten the home video version of anything, even for subscribers? (Aside from some older shows like Queen's Blade sublicensed through R1 distributors.) Funi's streams suffer the same thing sometimes, as well. For example, anyone wishing to legitimately watch We Without Wings subbed would have to buy the discs; Funi's streams only have the censored/broadcast version, even for subscribers.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Right now the best bang for your HD buck is gonna be with high quality BDs of 35mm analog anime, like movies, OVAs, and Outlaw Star.
Outlaw Star was 35 mm? I always thought it was one of those "hit in the West, so-so in Japan" kinds of shows that would've stuck with 16 mm.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:05 am Reply with quote
About 4K Resolution:

Justin Sevakis wrote:
(I've heard rumors that one major streaming service that produces a lot of its own shows internally admits that they really just want everything to be in 4K because the files are too huge to pirate easily, and are less likely to get leaked before release.)

Well, I guess that's pretty much the reason why more and more production companies will want to create their content in 4K (at least, the reason for the immediate future). By having their content take up a ridiculous amount of storage - that is, until HDDs and Internet speeds will advance enough to support those storage capabilities - the companies are using a stop-gag on the lower tiers of piracy, by choking their storage spaces and Internet connections.

Last edited by Hameyadea on Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:10 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
DerekTheRed wrote:
EDIT: Sorry, I misremembered. They require a pro account to list DVDs with a msrp higher than $25, which they say is to fight bootlegged disks.

Actually, I was told by an Amazon rep that this does apply to Blu-Rays but does not apply to DVDs.

I've never had any problem with bootlegs on buying BDs or DVDs on Amazon marketplace, though I almost always am buying from one of 2-3 companies that have been established for years (such as Deep Discount DVD). I won't touch eBay because of getting burned a couple of times there, though.
It's only for DVD's, NOT Blu-rays. http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abn/y14/m09/i19/s02
https://sellercentral.amazon.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=230058&start=0&tstart=0&sortBy=date (If you don't have a seller account on Amazon and you're signed-in, you'll need to sign-out of Amazon to view this thread)

And this did more harm than good. The fact you can still find bootlegs on Amazon shows that this policy didn't work like they thought it would. Hell a while back one of those bootleg Ghibli sets was in the top 100 DVD anime sellers on Amazon earlier this year... All this mainly ended up doing was it got rid of so many legitimate listings, and some things became impossible to purchase on the marketplace. This is why you don't see anyone really selling say When They Cry on the Amazon Marketplace anymore, because the people with the sets are unable to.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:42 am Reply with quote
The same as with torrenting, there is always going to be a problem with bootlegging anime products in general. It is never going to stop, because as soon as you find and shut down one bootlegger they will find another avenue to continue doing business, and another bootlegger will step in their place as well. I have bought from Amazon once and got screwed over the price, so I have not bought from them since. I feel bad for those who do not know the difference between official and bootleg versions of the releases, and it is our job to try and educate them about it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:53 am Reply with quote
4K gaming is pretty awesome though. Laughing

But yeah, you're pretty close to the screen, so ya can more easily tell.

And live-action with all its little details do benefit more than drawings with few little details.

EricJ2 wrote:

(And as for why few Japanese 4K titles--They're usually about two years behind us, which means they only recently got into Blu-rays.)

Regular Japanese tend not to be video collectors and don't have room for those anyways, nor for too many big screen TVs and surround sound, exactly the stuff that'd get benefits from extra quality data.
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Last week I won Rurouni Kenshin The Complete Series off of eBay for $31, but I was biting my nails the whole time it was in post worried that it would be a bootleg like the one discussed here.
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5401&start=450

Luckily, it turned out to be legit with the black cases, company logos, menus, etc. You have to be really careful when buying off of eBay or Amazon.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
If worthwhile 4K content becomes available, pirates will find the means and the patience to acquire it.

Even if that happens, the simple truth is that even pirates will shun 4k anime releases since most people can no longer see the difference, the same most people cannot hear the difference brought by 24/32 bit 48/96 khz audio files.

Bottom line, the industry must stop trying to sell us the same stuff in a shinier new format and concentrate in doing worthwhile stuff.
WingKing

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:20 pm Reply with quote
As luck would have it, the very first anime DVD set I ever bought turned out to be a bootleg. That was The Vision of Escaflowne, and it's one of those Hong Kong bootlegs, but the kicker is that I bought the thing brand new off the shelf at Suncoast, back around 2003. I have no idea how it even ended up for sale at a legitimate brick-and-mortar retailer, and I didn't even learn that it was a bootleg until years later when I went from casual collector to serious collector and started doing more research. Moral of the story, though, is that you can think you're doing everything right to avoid buying bootlegs and still get caught. Fortunately, in my 12 years of on-and-off collecting it's still the only time I've ever been fooled, and if Funimation ever gets around to putting a new edition out I definitely plan to buy it.
BlueBrain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:46 pm Reply with quote
LOL at paying for anime

These companies have been ripping off consumers for 20 years. Overpriced DVD's 30 dollars for 3 episodes. Then came thinpaks, which removed ALL the extras. I've bought over 400 anime DVD's between 2000 and 2010 then they started this Season 1 Part 1 crap and I just gave up.

Never support fascist monopolies

I'm boycotting Viz's translation of One Piece since they started calling Zoro ZOLO...smh
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:04 am Reply with quote
4K? 8 K was introduced by samsung at E3 2015..

so 4K is outdated Laughing

soon it will be 16K and so on..

for 2015.. it's hard to find a good 1080p tv.. since most companies are now not forcing their 4K tvs t.. plus they are going back to 60hz...

why would i want a 4K tv with 6HZ..
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:07 am Reply with quote
4K televisions are just much too expensive, and the TVs we have at home serve their purpose just fine for me.

It's like with audiophiles who hate MP3s with a passion. I honestly can't hear a difference between a high bitrate MP3 and a vinyl recording except the scratches on vinyl.

lavmintrose wrote:
I hope the Universal deal does manage to push anime into people's awareness a bit more. I'm constantly stunned to see people who consider themselves film and TV fans - animation fans even - who can't name a single anime TV series other than Pokemon, or an anime film that isn't from Ghibli.

I'll tell you this: When the circles aren't animation specifically, it was hard for me to find someone in Hollywood who had even heard of Toonami. There are also still plenty of people who don't know that Pokémon originates in Japan.

I keep a watch on a fandom of another entertainment medium where the word "J-Pop" means something other than "Japanese pop music" and "Magic Girl" refers to a female illusionist (you know, the kind who makes doves appear from handkerchiefs). I seem to be alone in the intersection of anime and this, and it feels weird to hear "J-Pop" mentioned in both circles referring to completely different things. That being said, this fandom consists mostly of people in their late 30s to early 60s, and oftentimes, they are still stuck in the Japan Takes Over the World mindset from the 1980's. (I've inquired as to how much some of these fans know about anime. The most common response is that they know it exists but cannot name any titles, as they don't know what actually comes from Japan and what isn't.)

Via_01 wrote:
To be fair, these bootlegs usually almost, ALMOST, look like the real thing, so it has never bothered me too much. Or maybe I'm just too used to cheap things. Who knows.

Depends on the bootleg. Some bootleggers don't care for quality and are just selling to kids or parents/other relatives who don't know better or don't care, and some bootleggers intend to sell directly to the fanbase and will try to make their product as close to the original product as possible. As late as last year, I fell for the latter type of bootleg. I've even seen merchandise that does not exist normally for some shows that are bootleg only (most commonly figurines and plushes).

Heck, I may be buying scrapper Disney pins and not even know it, as I obtain Disney pins primarily through the secondhand market. (How do you tell the difference anyway?)

Shiroi Hane wrote:
We can't have a discussion about bootlegs on Amazon without referring back to this: Amazon Sells Sailor Moon Bootleg as "Official Boxset"/

My favourite part of the whole saga was when everyone bombarded them with reports and they responded by added "bootleg" to the product title...

That sounds like someone doesn't know what the word "bootleg" is...

ShanaFan852 wrote:
And this did more harm than good. The fact you can still find bootlegs on Amazon shows that this policy didn't work like they thought it would. Hell a while back one of those bootleg Ghibli sets was in the top 100 DVD anime sellers on Amazon earlier this year... All this mainly ended up doing was it got rid of so many legitimate listings, and some things became impossible to purchase on the marketplace. This is why you don't see anyone really selling say When They Cry on the Amazon Marketplace anymore, because the people with the sets are unable to.

Was this that set that, for about US$50, contained like three movies per DVD and had a really extensive collection, but the picture quality was in the toilet?

Someone I know got that off a DVD rack at a seedy-looking merchandise store.

That reminds me. If anyone lives in the Los Angeles area and has been to Westfield Santa Anita, I have a question: How does that one store near the food court continue to exist? There is this one shop in the mall, near the Dippin' Dots store, that seems to sell mostly (or exclusively) bootleg merchandise. They vary a lot in quality, and some are way more obvious than others, but despite there not being a lot of people in this store most of the time, it seems to have persisted for at least a few years now.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:43 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

4K televisions are just much too expensive, and the TVs we have at home serve their purpose just fine for me.

4K UHD TVs can now be had for the same prices back during that holiday season when everyone went out and replaced their big fat heavy analog CRTs with even bigger but thinner digital LCDs. But of course now people are used to LCD LED TVs at commodity prices, while there's not as much lifestyle difference as there was when upgrading from CRTs to LCDs.
garrisonaw

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:47 am Reply with quote
On 4K... I have a 47" 1080p TV. Most of what I play on it is 480p DVDs. I do own a couple BDs, but I'm not about to try and upgrade my entire library of hundreds of DVDs up to BD simply because I now have the means to play them. And if I ever got a 4K TV (tho I don't know why I would), I'd also need a 4K player, and I still wouldn't upgrade any of my existing titles.

The trouble with 4K is that for there to be any real difference in quality - noticeable or not - the project has to be FILMED in 4K to begin with. It's like finding a video on YouTube that says "HD", and finding out that it's a 240p video that some jackass re-encoded as 720p. It's still really just a crappy 240p video, but you can see the crappy quality in greater detail. Blow up a title from 480p to 4K, and it's still really just a 480p video, it just takes up 64x as much room on the disc.

On bootlegs... The article said something about a buyer calling out a product as bootlegged in a review. That's about as effective as telling your dog that you witnessed a murder. To even have a chance of getting the bootlegs removed, they have to actually be reported to Amazon. Even better, report them to the studio that actually OWNS the material, and have THEM report the counterfeit to Amazon - that will be much more effective than telling Amazon yourself.

Unfortunately, getting rid of bootlegs is sort of like trying to kill Hydra - cut off one head, and two more will take its place.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4