• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kishimoto: Naruto Invokes His Childhood, Breaks Shōnen Formula

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lelouch Vi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:21 am Reply with quote
ChocoBar1 wrote:
You're a [snip]. The manga deals with spiritual aspects and takes place in the after life , him being dead is the entire step-up not some brave move that breaks a formula (considering nobody has taken anything from YYH after it finished)

*coughBleachcough*
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:45 pm Reply with quote
No, stuff collapsing before the end is a tried and true formula.
Unclaimed Pants

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Naruto did not break any shounen formula, but it maybe did approach tropés in new ways. Either way breaking a shounen formula would probably mean that you've made a game changing approach in how you write an manga of that genre.

The trend of modern shounen was basically science fiction until Dragon Ball Z came around, and that's why, even to this day, for example of the 10 most popular shounen mangas in Japan today you'll find that at least 7/10 of them are all fantasy. Moreover, Dragon Ball Z revolutionized the shounen formula with it's story, which can be found in many shounen mangas today. It really was the first of its kind.

Yu Yu Hakusho did also revolutionize the character of the villian and the antagonist. It brought psychological- and ethical complexities to these characters which had not been seen in DBZ. In DBZ you get very typical, very archetypical villains. You get people like Frieza who just want power and domination over the Galaxy/Universe, you get people like Boo whose hellbent on destruction, people like Cell who wanted to become the "perfect being". You don't get that in Yu Yu Hakusho. If we were to make a top 20 list of antagonist in manga ever, Sensui, without doubt would be top 5. To my mind, I've never seen an antagonist in shounen manga that approaches the sort of complexity of Sensui. With the advent of Yu Yu Hakusho, came the foundation of what the emphasis on characterization in shounen manga could reach making it the pioneer.

So saying that Naruto changed the shounen formula is an overstatement with not much merit.
_Darkblondie_

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:17 pm Reply with quote
"The series' protagonist did not always resort to brute force to defeat his enemies. Kishimoto said. “And if (the protagonists) defeat them without understanding their motivation, it could end up leading to a repeat of the same thing.” "

he is right "talk no jutsu" was something different for shonen genre. I dont know why people giving examples from DBZ, YYH ...etc Kishimoto respects both series and inspired by them. But he did different things from them. Naruto is not like Goku who wanna fight with strong guys all time and Naruto villains are not like DBZ villains. They are more deep characters and they have their own reasons and ideals.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:01 pm Reply with quote
MasterKingJC wrote:
Sorry, Kishi, but shonen manga that predate Naruto have already touched upon that stuff and broke the "formula" (JoJo, Yu Yu Hakusho, Rorouni Kenshin)

3 properties most of us yanks have never heard of or nowhere near as popular.

AiddonValentine wrote:

The villains that were the most competently done were Deidara, Sasori, Kakuzu, and Hidan.

Incidentally all non major villians all of whom except Kakuzu Naruto never defeated.
mcbright80

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I have been on this site for a long time but never registered UNTIL TODAY....JUST so I can tell some of you hatin' people on here(who clearly can't read) a thing or two.

Kishimoto clearly said "Reflecting on his series' journey, Kishimoto thinks he broke new ground with the story's approach to conflict. The series' protagonist did not always resort to brute force to defeat his enemies."

THATS IT!!!! Not that it broke ground on character design,story complexity, or any other area that you fools keep giving references on so shut up already.

I have my issues with the overall manga in many, many ways as some of you do too but really if you are going to give reasons on why he is wrong then please for the love of gawd...KEEP ON THE SPECIFIC SUBJECT!!!! Anyone else who gives ANOTHER reference about how kishi is wrong and is not clearly on the SPECIFIC subject...again that would be how naruto didn't break grounds in CONFLICT and how he didn't ....ALWAYS...resort to brute force IN THE BEGINNING....is an idiot and should go back to school and learn how to read again. Jeezus!
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:01 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
MasterKingJC wrote:
Sorry, Kishi, but shonen manga that predate Naruto have already touched upon that stuff and broke the "formula" (JoJo, Yu Yu Hakusho, Rorouni Kenshin)

3 properties most of us yanks have never heard of or nowhere near as popular.

I understand Yu Yu Hakusho has become more obscure, but surely it WAS popular at one time in the west, when it was on Toonami and was hot off the heels of DBZ...?
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Banjo wrote:
except that Naruto the character has gotten stronger and popular over the time, unlike Naruto the manga. Laughing

Every manga book of Naturo has 1.200.000 initial circulation, as always. No demise whatsoever.

Gasero wrote:
I think it is bold to say that manga did not use strategy before Naruto.

I watched a good portion of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and a lot of those battles used strategy even when characters seemed overpowered.

More accurately, it is tactics, not strategy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3