• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Rage of Bahamut Genesis

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:29 am Reply with quote
Yup, still having a blast watching this show.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Kaisar must...see the world in greyer shades

I just wish his tights were done in greyer shades. It keeps looking like he's so hell-bent on revenge he ran out of the house without his pants.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Jeanne and Amira could turn out to be foils to each other too, with the way this episode sets them up as the "gods' choice" and the "demons' choice" for the God Key. Jeanne was chosen young and has known all her life that that was her role (and the fact that she can talk to the gods makes her choice of name much clearer). Amira is the Prometheus who stole the power for herself and for humanity.

Indeed. What's more, Amira's primary motivation at this stage (if the comments of spoiler[her would-be father are any indication) appears to be precisely to determine what her purpose is. She wants to know who she is and why she was born which of course is the exact opposite of Jeanne who as you said, has been explicitly told from on high what her role is.]
Apellon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
This show really surprised me with the themes and characters so far. Could be one of the golden eggs of this season but I've been enjoying every episode at this point.

agreed ... impressed by this show so far ... and to me the most entertaining/surprising show this season
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:33 pm Reply with quote
I have no idea where this review is coming from (for ep 7). That was the most epic and everything-packed single episode of anime I've seen in years.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:11 am Reply with quote
It may turn out (anything is possible in this) that Azazel didn't kill Favaro's father and by extension Kaisar's, but for now I'm taking it at face value. I don't feel like there's any big "who really killed them" mystery here. It just seemed like Favaro was denying Azazel was the culprit to needle him, and declare that he wasn't living for revenge on anybody, since it was his old man's fault he got killed in the first place. Also to avoid admitting he might've done for Kaisar just what Azazel said.

Anyway, this definitely does not feel like a one cour series. So here's hoping for Rage of Bahamut: Exodus (to Helheim) and/or Revelation (of everything) to follow. Smile
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8

Quote:
The king's suspicions about Jeanne are a good example: are they actually founded, or is he just paranoid? (Moreover, was it just a boozy hallucination or was that really his mom's ghost talking to him? This is a show with giant crabs and the Queen of the Zombies as a main character. Stranger things have happened.) If Jeanne does want to kill him, why? If not, why is she so hesitant to take the honors he bestows upon her?

I thought it was very evident that someone was trying to mess with the king's mind to make him distrust Jeanne. He was already scorned because the gods didn't choose him to wield the magical sword, and you could clearly see a hooded figure smiling maliciously after the king has his hallucinations. The idea of Jeanne wanting to kill the king has never crossed my mind. To me it seems obvious that she responds to a higher power and doesn't really care about the king. She refused the lands he offered as a demonstration of honor and compromise -she's not in it for the rewards, but for her conviction and the sake of the greater good-, I don't think she has any interest for the throne, she's completely committed to her mission as a Holy Warrior
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm not sure where she got that. Some one's hand is clearly shown spouting dark magic stuff into the container the king's drink is in. Seems pretty obvious that some one else is trying to make the king go from a little bit miffed he didn't get the sword to paranoid Jeanne is trying to replace him by spiking his drink with some kind of magic hallucinogen.
Via_01

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Yup, that was a good twist to Amira's character. She's not childish just for the heck of it, she really IS a child. According to this chapter, she must be around 6 years old or something? I think I'm going to rewatch all past episodes and watch her scenes with this in mind. Should be fun.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:56 am Reply with quote
Ironic, the one that looks like a little girl is actually the eldest as an undead necromancer, and is often telling the others to stop messing around. And the one who looks like adult is really a big kid in an adult body. Looking back at past actions of Amira with easily distracted, innocent, and pouting, it makes sense.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:29 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Ironic, the one that looks like a little girl is actually the eldest as an undead necromancer, and is often telling the others to stop messing around. And the one who looks like adult is really a big kid in an adult body. Looking back at past actions of Amira with easily distracted, innocent, and pouting, it makes sense.

Yeah, and Rita's personality likewise is more reflective of her chronological age than her physical one. She's the jaded Voice of Reason in that group.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:28 am Reply with quote
I don't know if it's significant or not, but the green jewel at Amira's throat has changed since her "audience" with the Bahamut statue. Actually, it's changed slightly over the course of the series, going from a generally round or oval "pupil" to more of a cat-like slit, but now it has very obvious texture lines radiating from the center of the "iris" and has been drawn that way since the tag of episode 7. Up to now, it's been so unobtrusive as just a decoration I actually had to go back to be sure she even had it before, but for some reason it felt like it was in my face this whole episode. I'm also starting to wonder if Favaro's green pendant is related, since he has Bahamut dreams too.

Anyway, I for one really liked the episode. Favaro's facial expressions kill me, especially when he thinks he's being sneaky or devious. And it's interesting how so many anime view Satan, Beelzebub, Lucifer, et al as being different entities rather than just names for the same entity.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
And it's interesting how so many anime view Satan, Beelzebub, Lucifer, et al as being different entities rather than just names for the same entity.

That's not something anime made up, but one that has a lot of precedent in Catholic mythology. Whether they're seen as different names for the same entity, or distinct sub-devils or whatever, varies a lot between the Christians (and Jews and Muslims) who are concerned with this topic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Well, see, if I hadn't found it interesting I wouldn't have learned that. Smile Also fun is finding out that one helluva butler wrote a book on demons. Wink
bobob101

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:21 pm Reply with quote
It must be because I watch my anime on a not so great laptop that I never even noticed the off model stuff. I would need a ultra specific shot to see it. I don't mind the dragon at all, thought it was pretty cool. Can't wait to see what this show pulls off next.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6