• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Free! Anime Staffer: This Summer Is Going to Be Even Hotter

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:30 am Reply with quote
Even hotter?! Shocked I'll just start fanning myself now then.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:04 am Reply with quote
Free! wasn't "good" but I enjoyed it a lot especially with me drifting away from Japanese cartoons. It's these slice-of-life shows I stay behind for.
Sobe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:18 am Reply with quote
Yuno07 wrote:
Sobe wrote:

;< He's just another homophobe who needs to vent his anger there's one female/non-straight male anime coming compared to his entire library of cleavage-galore, panty shot animes we get every season.

I didn't bother reading it but his long wall of text is a clear indication of just that, lol.

Someone didn't read my response completely. Your post is guilty of effectively the same thing. Rolling Eyes

Someone thinks I cared to read your response completely in the first place. Rolling Eyes

But that's okay. The homophobe responded with something anyways.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:53 am Reply with quote
Even hotter, huh? Unlike most homophobes and BL fans, I didn't think the first season was that gay, to be honest. I can understand why some people would think it's gay, but any man who's ever had a really close best guy friend in highschool and relate to Haruka and friends.
Yes, that sometimes IS who really close friends act, no hidden feelings at all.
CremsonMaster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:59 am Reply with quote
Am I like the only one who actually couldn't care less?

Characters were generic.

Story was mediocre.

Sound was pretty bland.

The only exceptional part of this series was it's animation, which is only because it was done by KyoAni, even then I've seen better.

Wasn't impressed by Free!, and although I'll watch it, I doubt this second season will change my mind. It'll probably just make my mindset even more against it.

There's a lot more anime out there that deserve a second season than this overhyped stuff. S'all I'm saying.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:16 am Reply with quote
Nemui_Nezumi wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Quote:
"This summer is going to be even hotter!"

And a million yaoi slash fangirls orgasmed as one.

why only "yaoi slash fangirls"?

not everyone see the series as pure yaoi you know...I don't :/

And what about gay fellows such as myself?
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:20 am Reply with quote
Sobe wrote:
Yuno07 wrote:
Sobe wrote:

;< He's just another homophobe who needs to vent his anger there's one female/non-straight male anime coming compared to his entire library of cleavage-galore, panty shot animes we get every season.

I didn't bother reading it but his long wall of text is a clear indication of just that, lol.

Someone didn't read my response completely. Your post is guilty of effectively the same thing. Rolling Eyes

Someone thinks I cared to read your response completely in the first place. Rolling Eyes

But that's okay. The homophobe responded with something anyways.

I don't think Yuno was being homophobic at all. I think you're slapping him/her with the accusation to avoid addressing their argument.
Cetais

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:48 am Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Nemui_Nezumi wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Quote:
"This summer is going to be even hotter!"

And a million yaoi slash fangirls orgasmed as one.

why only "yaoi slash fangirls"?

not everyone see the series as pure yaoi you know...I don't :/

And what about gay fellows such as myself?

Well, I'm one but I don't really like Free! Anyway :p
shi666san

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:55 am Reply with quote
Sobe wrote:
There was a moment, a SINGLE moment, in the entire first season where there was going to be mouth to mouth and that's as far as it got for the anime. But it never came to because mouth to mouth was no longer needed. That's the only time haters will be able to say this is a yaoi/gay anime but technically not because two characters never engaged in the act in the end.

Instead of referring to it as "mouth-to-mouth", you should just say it was CPR since that's what it basically was.

Anyways, why does this scene get so much hate? It's CPR, an act of saving one's life, yet people make it out to be some sort of gay romance element. Heck, even VVV had a CPR scene between 2 males and yet nobody called that out as being yaoi-bait or something like that.
Ultimatum

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:54 am Reply with quote
shi666san wrote:
Sobe wrote:
There was a moment, a SINGLE moment, in the entire first season where there was going to be mouth to mouth and that's as far as it got for the anime. But it never came to because mouth to mouth was no longer needed. That's the only time haters will be able to say this is a yaoi/gay anime but technically not because two characters never engaged in the act in the end.

Instead of referring to it as "mouth-to-mouth", you should just say it was CPR since that's what it basically was.

Anyways, why does this scene get so much hate? It's CPR, an act of saving one's life, yet people make it out to be some sort of gay romance element. Heck, even VVV had a CPR scene between 2 males and yet nobody called that out as being yaoi-bait or something like that.

Well the whole CPR = kiss thing is a pretty common trope in all kinds of anime--harem, shounen, and shoujo included.

Here's a list from anime and other types of pop culture: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CPRCleanPrettyReliable

It's one of the romance tropes that's kind of irked me, since I've taken classes on CPR and it's nothing like what most anime show. Anime heroes (and sometimes heroines) never think about if they'll break a person's rib to get them breathing again, or even check to see if they're already breathing to lean in for the "kiss."

Free! didn't annoy me as much as most examples, as it seemed more like Haruka had panicked at the thought of losing someone and shut down, instead of panicking because it was his first kiss or something. Although, he still didn't give chest compressions before trying to blow into his mouth.

Anyway, I enjoyed the first season for the characters (I can't think of anyone I don't like, besides Rin, and he was a good antagonist), the jokes, and the beautiful swimming animation, so I guess I'll be watching season 2.

Also, um, why is there even a problem with "yaoi-bait" in a series for girls? Plenty of shows aimed at guys have "yuri-bait" that's much more obvious than anything in Free! but I don't hear the same level of complaints aimed at those. It's always...interesting to see how these threads blow up. Are a few well-made female-oriented shows so hard for some people to handle?
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:01 am Reply with quote
This is pretty cool for the fans, personally I couldn't care less.

I really want KyoAni to make something amazing again, but for quite a while now the only amazing part has been the animation, everything else has been put in the "lacking" category Sad.

Oh and for those who are trying to defend this show calling it a sports anime, this is just ecchi. It's male ecchi, but it's ecchi. Nothing wrong with that, i've enjoyed my fair share of them, and it's pretty cool that one is being produced for the ladies Smile.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:11 am Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:

Oh and for those who are trying to defend this show calling it a sports anime, this is just ecchi. It's male ecchi, but it's ecchi. Nothing wrong with that, i've enjoyed my fair share of them, and it's pretty cool that one is being produced for the ladies Smile.

I don't think you know what ecchi is. In order to be classified as ecchi it'd need to have a bit more overly sexual fanservice. While it had fan service it wasn't nearly as much, nor as explicit as an ecchi work.
epicrevenge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:11 am Reply with quote
LMAO! Even hotter? Haha, I can't wait. I really liked Free!, it wasn't amazing but it was one of my favourites of 2013. I cannot wait to see what the story for season 2 will be! Very Happy
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:02 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
So 10x gay-fest. Laughing

This has proven more commercially successful than moeblobs now, kyoto animation should stick to the juicy fujoshi market full time plus plenty of males have fully embraced their yaoi (hidden and not so hidden)desires with this one Rolling Eyes Wink

*high five*

Indeed. While as a girl I still enjoy some shows with moe elements I think the market can stand to be more balanced. And Free!'s slightly deconstructed story and hidden depths cast has been incredibly enjoyable.

If KyoAni is gonna get even more blatant with the ho yay/foe yay/bromantic underbelly of this series, I say bring it on. Laughing
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Rivailloli wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:

I don't think you know what ecchi is. In order to be classified as ecchi it'd need to have a bit more overly sexual fanservice. While it had fan service it wasn't nearly as much, nor as explicit as an ecchi work.

There's nothing wrong with females having an ecchi targeted towards theme, and anyone who says otherwise is a hypocrite. However it's equally hypocritical to go "Oh, this is so much more sophisticated than ecchi for men!" Ecchi is ecchi, and there's nothing to be ashamed of.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4