• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Death Note Creator Arrested for Possessing a Knife

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Someone_II wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:
I mean he was just pointing out anything sharp can be used as a weapon, duh. Or are you just trolling? In that case precede.

Not just anything sharp. ANYTHING can be used as a weapon. From simple things like hands to nuclear weapons.

Yes yes, of course I know all of that, but I was simply referring to the sharp objects in the statement you see. The news is about a knife, the person whom had mentioned an event was referring to a sharp object.

If hands are weapons(which they can be), should we just start calling ourselves "walking weapons". You see there has to be a limit to this kind of BS.

It's event that was chosen to be cynical with that got my bone, so sorry.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Someone_II

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:

You see there has to be a limit to this kind of BS.

And there should be, but according to airport security a stick of gum is enough to bring down a plane Laughing . But seriously, at this point why not just tie everyones hands and feet? (as we've already established) Those could be used to hijack a plan too.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I appreciate your sarcasm, and this is from someone who has plenty of firepower.

But I just feel if we start talking like wimps, then we start acting like them.

As far as Obata, I think he will get off, of course with a big fine, but none the less, off. It doesn't say he was violent in any way so I don't see the need for them to push the point of a possible weapon to such an extent. But again this is only from an American stand-point, so, I wish him the best. I really enjoy his work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:10 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
But I just feel if we start talking like wimps, then we start acting like them.

A very true statement. One method by which a people can be subjugated is by redefining what words mean. The way we speak is how we define ourselves and our world. If we think of the "homeless" as "displaced" and the "dying" as "sick" it is much easier to ignore these problems.

When we speak as if we are powerless, we become powerless. People have told themselves for so long that no one can "fight City Hall" and that "taxes are inevitable" and things of that nature that most are no longer able to believe it possible to fight against a government injustice or that maybe we can abolish income taxes.

If you speak with authority and strength, people will usually take you seriously.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:14 am Reply with quote
Man, 'dem Japanese sure are crazy to restrict their people's freedom to shoot up schools or community centers after being brainwashed by neo-nazi sites. After all, if they want to spray sarin gas on their subways, it's their God-given right to do so. Rolling Eyes
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:09 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Man, 'dem Japanese sure are crazy to restrict their people's freedom to shoot up schools or community centers after being brainwashed by neo-nazi sites. After all, if they want to spray sarin gas on their subways, it's their God-given right to do so. Rolling Eyes

That was so unnesessary, especially the subs man.

And shooting up schools. Would that have been prevented if there were no guns? No. Kids are very violent. The cause of that was much likely something else, which is kids are pretty effed up. Which I think we can agree on. Question

And freedom means more than just restrictions.

In fact the way you said that makes me think you don't take things very serious on those matters.

Do you think crime will go down if no law abiding citizen has a weapon? Or do you think crime will stop if no one has one? Should the "I give up take everything you can with you manuever" be standard now?

Now that I look at it, your rolley eyes say it all. You won't fight for anything. Which is fine, it is your choice. And no I don't think those Japanese are crazy, I understand the thoughts behind this more than you know.

But I ain't dissing ya. I just feel that a person should be aloud to carry weapons. I feel safe with people wearing them. Hell the original law even allows it.

All in all, stop blaming things on metal, and start blaming it on gray matter.

(this isn't some sort of stupid ass threat either)And I would use the word Nazi very carefully if I were you. Especially if you don't know how to use it. I hate the word.
Emil Scherbe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:38 am Reply with quote
Hiroshi Takase, 50 who filmed live-action Death Note movie
passed away due to cerebral infarction on Sep 7.
Shuichi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:37 am Reply with quote
According to Jo Kaps, boss of TOKYOPOP Germany and publisher of Death Note, Obata-san is free again.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:39 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
GATSU wrote:

That was so unnesessary, especially the subs man.

And shooting up schools. Would that have been prevented if there were no guns? No. Kids are very violent. The cause of that was much likely something else, which is kids are pretty effed up. Which I think we can agree on. Question

And freedom means more than just restrictions.

In fact the way you said that makes me think you don't take things very serious on those matters.

Do you think crime will go down if no law abiding citizen has a weapon? Or do you think crime will stop if no one has one? Should the "I give up take everything you can with you manuever" be standard now?

Now that I look at it, your rolley eyes say it all. You won't fight for anything. Which is fine, it is your choice. And no I don't think those Japanese are crazy, I understand the thoughts behind this more than you know.

But I ain't dissing ya. I just feel that a person should be aloud to carry weapons. I feel safe with people wearing them. Hell the original law even allows it.

All in all, stop blaming things on metal, and start blaming it on gray matter.

(this isn't some sort of stupid ass threat either)And I would use the word Nazi very carefully if I were you. Especially if you don't know how to use it. I hate the word.

If by original law you mean the 2nd amendment then you are wrong. I myself am a cop's son and have been around and have multiple weapons. Mine vary from one .40 glock to swords from all sorts of time periods. As for the "original law" it has been distorted. I am a criminal justice major and not some gun nut just so you know. The point is though that by proper english, as used back at that time, the law dictates that the right to bear arms is in regard to keeping a MILITIA. They had no National Guard back then. The law was to allow the militia, which was comprised of citizens, to bear arms to defend the territories. We no longer have that and the law has been distored since. As I said I have no problem with people packing whatever, as long as you act civilized and not stupid with it. I just don't like people saying "the constitution says I can blow you away mutha." (or anything of the sort) Also, just so you guys know as I posted before if you, in America, have a knife or something on you then lock it in your glovebox. Without a warrant a cop can't search a locked compartment in your car. A cop cannot even search your car without probable cause, which does qualify in the case of a drug sniffing dog (for any reefers reading this). So if they ask you if they can then just say no. They won't ask if they can do it, they simply do it.

Btw, what did shooting up the schools or gas in the subs even have to do with this topic anyway? Dargonxtc you need to take a chill pill dude.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:40 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
Btw, what did shooting up the schools or gas in the subs even have to do with this topic anyway?
I didn't bring that up, dude.
psycho 101 wrote:
Dargonxtc you need to take a chill pill dude.
I am chill.

Read the thread next time.

You actually proved my point. But you need to stop reading revisionist history books. I don't care if you are a cops son, you have a bunch of stuff wrong, but that is to be expected. Your father has a tuff job. And I am thankful he does it.

psycho 101 wrote:
As I said I have no problem with people packing whatever, as long as you act civilized and not stupid with it. I just don't like people saying "the constitution says I can blow you away mutha."

Actually laws state you must wear all firearms on the outside, you just can't pack whatever. And if you are a felon you can't pack anything. Ask your Dad. If you want to carry it concealed you need a permit. (which will take about six months, and you have to be a good boy Smile).

You have no idea what you are talking about.

psycho 101 wrote:
and not some gun nut just so you know.
Me either, but then again I have conversed with cops while armed. (always friendly conversations). Of course I am Ex-government property, but many of my friends do the same. (and no I don't wear a cowboy hat, and I don't wear my gun 98% of the time, maybe 7 or 8 days out of the year).

Like I was trying to say I think this charge is BS, but you seem to not think this, fine.

I am still very looking forward to see if the crime rate goes down in San Francisco now that only criminals will have guns. But we will need ten years to be sure. If that happens then maybe you will change my opinion.
ironwarrior

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Just some FYI....

Unconcealed/concealed carry laws vary widely by state. The latter generally requires some type of NRA-approved course as well as a background check. Go here for more info:
http://www.packing.org/

As for searches of vehicles, the proof of legality or lack thereof more often than not will fall upon the owner of said vehicle. I HIGHLY recommend a cursory reading of the Patriot Act. Many of our Constitutional Rights have been cast aside under the fascist "War on Terror" agenda. A blanket excusal for illegal searches is "suspicion of terrorist activities." Personally, I've never met a Federal law enforcement officer who wasn't "drunk" on their power.

Who's to blame for the rape of the Constitution? Apathetic citizens who would rather not have to think and instead let the media think for them. Government propaganda goes down well with sitcoms, Monday Night Football, and the luxuries we've come to enjoy.

It's cliched, but Ben Franklin said it best: ""Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

EDIT for typo

Last edited by ironwarrior on Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:51 pm Reply with quote
ironwarrior wrote:
facist

Rolling Eyes

Some of us need to go back to school. Big time.
ironwarrior

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
ironwarrior wrote:
facist

Rolling Eyes

Some of us need to go back to school. Big time.

Some need to get their pretentious heads out their collective asses. Rolling Eyes I can also use that blithering emoticon.

WOW! I had a typo. If all you were able to discern from that post was a typo, then perhaps you're the one in need of schooling. Having survived 8 years of Stalinist-style purges against firearms dealers by the Clinton Administration, I'm "vaguely" familiar with FASCIST-like behavior.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:40 pm Reply with quote
ironwarrior wrote:
WOW! I had a typo. If all you were able to discern from that post was a typo[blah, blah blah]

Wasn't talking about that, but oh well. Very Happy

I was going more towards the definition side of things.

And don't go off the deep end either, it is not like I disagree with you point by point. In fact I agree more than not, but I don't throw around such terms so lightly. And I hate it when people do toss them in like an every so used doll of rags.

Click click click......Words mean things......Click click click
ironwarrior

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:13 am Reply with quote
Well, perhaps I was using emotional hyperbole to solidify my rant. I understand the dennotative meaning of "fascism' as well as the other terms--I should since I have an English teaching degree. My apologies.

English is such a fluid language that connotative definitions are often more appropriate, especially when one is spouting his own propaganda. As long as the lingustic content is understood, a message is successfully conveyed.

As much as I loath most the rules on this site, I think the grammar rule is excellent for making people think. After burning 60,000+ posts in an 18-month timespan on a bodyrating site, I've seen mindboggoling examples of stupidity

Let's shake hands and part. I haven't established any friends with common intrests due to perceiving most here in closed-door cliques. Why I don't know everything about anime, I do know firearms and kung-fu and am willing to share in the anime contect
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4