• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Godchild Not Returning to Shojo Beat

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mokitty

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:15 am Reply with quote
kensukeyura wrote:

Also, I've been wondering this - why didn't they put Aishiteruze Baby in SB rather than Baby & Me? They both have the family theme, but AiBaby is written in a way that actually, you know... appeals to teenage girls. Shocked Pretty art, sexy lead boy, romance, etc. And it's an all-around good series. Here's hoping they license the anime soon!

Man, I must be old, because I can think of no other reason why there's such widespread general agreement that Baby & Me stinks while I quite enjoy it. Aishiteruze Baby is an adorable anime (can't speak for the manga, not having read it), but in my opinion the teenage-appealing stuff is exactly what puts it below Baby & Me. I've always thought of B&M as a cute little slice-of-life; obviously not the most outstanding series in the magazine, but a pleasant read nonetheless. And it seems to largely lack those eyeroll-worthy moments of melodrama that are spread liberally throughout AB. Still, love it or hate it, I can see why B&M was included in the magazine: testing the market. The wider the range of series they start out with, the more readers they'll attract.

If not for the removal of Godchild (which has apparently had so many complaining), I'd say they were moving away from the "market test" phase and honing in on what they've concluded is their demographic. It's just too bad that so many, myself included, are disliking the changes. I was never big on Godchild personally, but IMO Vampire Knight is no better.

And finally:

.Sy wrote:

I don't have the money to burn on graphic novels every month, so I prefer reading six series a month rather than only following one or two.

This is exactly why these changes both upset and worry me.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:10 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't be too surprised to see Baby & Me get dropped, since I would suspect it's the other story in that "bottom three" with Godchild and Kaze Hikaru. But I do enjoy it, though not enough that I would collect the graphic novels of it. But I don't think it's a mistake and if it had been, Baby & Me would probably have been the first to go.

I actually somewhat wish NANA would get dropped, because it's so long that it's going to take forever to get the whole series done at this rate. But I don't think it will be, since I suspect it's the most popular series and thus it draws more people in for subscriptions and magazine purchases.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I too enjoy Baby and Me, and as said before and before, I don't understand why people hate it so much. As for now, I think they'll keep it in the magazine if only to make parents happy when buying Shoujo beat for their girls. Admist the risque adult romance, silly half-assed fantasy and tweenage drama settings, Baby and Me is the only truly strait down to earth story with average characters in an average setting. It's normal, it's cute, it's simple, nonoffending, and enjoyable. Mom sees it and assumes that maybe not all of this manga stuff ridiculous comic-book-romance-novel crap.

Either way, I really hope they don't drop it, and I'm very displeased that they dropped Kaze Hikaru. It wasn't my favorite series, but now, there's not enough variety in the magazine, imo. Now with the exclusion of Nana and Baby & Me, did you know that every single comic is a romance-drama that takes place in a high school of some sort! That's crap! Not to mention that Nana is virtually the same - it just takes place in a college/working enviorment instead of high school. I wanted variety, Shoujo Beat! Kaze Hikaru gave us just that, it was something really unusual and very different from the other series. The comic they're replacing it with is just your generic shoujo romance. :/ I don't buy your magazine to read 6 identical stories!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ShikamaChU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Same here, I've been an 'Aka-chan to Boku' fan for...Forever pretty much, for the same reasons as you. It's just a good, easy, enjoyable read. And you really start to love those characters to death, and they're like real people. It's plain, but unforgettable.
For me, it's a classic. It was one of the first scanslations I ever read (Before manga was really all that big here), and I jumped all over it when it came out (finally) in the States.

I guess most shoujo fans like romance or something, as that's usually what people think of them they think of the shoujo genre.
I just think it's really sweet, coming of age story. It probably doesn't work for people that like older characters with more grown up emotions, drama, and love tumbleweeds in their manga.

Weird thing is, I actually never considered Aka-chan to Boku shoujo. I never didn't either. I just thought it was a great story for anyone that liked laid back sweet-tooth stories about cute little kids learning to cope. I thought it was targeted at a younger audience than most shoujo like Hana yori dango or Count Cain. I figured the same type of people that like Koge-donbo’s works would like it, even if it’s a bit dated.
I’m bad at deciphering whether things are pure shoujo or shounen. I consider most things enjoyable by both, depending on age and tastes.
Some things are obvious, but I kinda thought Aka-chan wasn’t as much so.
Maybe I’m oblivious Anime hyper

Maybe that's why they're dropping it (Because people didn’t respond to the huge genre mix they were doing in there. What with all types of shoujo all over the place),.
It doesn't scream shoujo in the general sense, and therefore a lot of the people into romance drama type shoujo (most shoujo fans) aren't liking it.

Who knows, as long as they come out with a volume of any given manga more than once a year and don’t drop things for good, I'm happy. ^^
I'm not impatient. There’s so much manga out there that needs reading ♥. No use getting hung up on a volume that takes seven months as opposed to four or Five or a few chapters a month. ^^
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I find the feel of the series to be very different, even if admittedly most are set surrounding school (not sure about Backstage Prince yet, of course). So for me, they are different enough to have a range while still falling within my interest zone. You have your gothic manga (Vampire Knight), your comedy (Baby and Me), your fluffy romance (Absolute Boyfriend), your more realistic look at life/love/etc (NANA), and your sports manga (Crimson Hero)...while there are similarities, I definitely find each series to be different enough that it's not like reading the same thing over and over again.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
not sure about Backstage Prince yet, of course

It's also a high-school drama.

Quote:
Weird thing is, I actually never considered Aka-chan to Boku shoujo.

I agree, I see it more as a slice-of-life story. But I like that. :)[/quote]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:09 pm Reply with quote
based on whar i heard kaze hikaru was hated. godchild was pretty loved
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:23 pm Reply with quote
i had the same thought pattern.

i also agree what people said about having small series in the book as well. i enjoyed godchild and miss it but it replacement is well received by me.

i agree with the short manga stories idea because unlike long series they could finish it.

hopefully they will NEVER give nana the boost.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:30 pm Reply with quote
.Sy wrote:
The Shonen Jump was starting to go a bit downhill for me, so I was thinking of switching to Shojo Beat. Obviously this isn't going to happen if they want to periodically pull titles. I know it saves quite a bit of money to subscribe even to preview titles, but I don't want v. 1-4 in magazine format and then the rest GN format. If they would serialize the entire story in the magazine, it would make titles a lot less iffy. I don't have the money to burn on graphic novels every month, so I prefer reading six series a month rather than only following one or two. Anyway, Viz only serializes the bare minimum in both of its manga magazines.

based on what I've seen they pull in and out every year. they had godchild for a yr and now vampire.

I WISH THEY CAN JETTISON KAZE HIKARU ALREADY.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:32 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
I wouldn't be too surprised to see Baby & Me get dropped, since I would suspect it's the other story in that "bottom three" with Godchild and Kaze Hikaru. But I do enjoy it, though not enough that I would collect the graphic novels of it. But I don't think it's a mistake and if it had been, Baby & Me would probably have been the first to go.

I actually somewhat wish NANA would get dropped, because it's so long that it's going to take forever to get the whole series done at this rate. But I don't think it will be, since I suspect it's the most popular series and thus it draws more people in for subscriptions and magazine purchases.

I SERIOUSLY DONT THINK THEY WILL GET RID OF NANA

besides thats their star series. once it ends mosst people will say what the point of buying shojo beat.
Seiitsuno Megami

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.
I know series will be dropped (well, I didn't before Godchild got the boot, but whatever), and that's why I continue to read the magazine. When Godchild got dropped, I was happy, because I love the series and now the tankoubon will be released faster. I was also happy when Kaze Hikaru got dropped, because I hate the series, and now it won't suck up space in the mag every month. I read the magazine just as it is--a preview. (The free-first-chapters every so often are neat, too).

(OT: I also dislike this series, but...why hasn't Baby & Me been featured on the cover yet? o_O;)

((EDIT: Grammar fart. D:))
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:44 pm Reply with quote
astra wrote:
I refuse to believe that Godchild was the least popular series in the magazine. Its the only thing in there that caters to shonen ai fans and it has the Yuki Kaori fanbase as well. What about Baby and Me? I admit that it can be cute sometimes but I've only bothered to read it a few times. It's woefully misplaced in a magazine that is otherwise about love, drama, and fashion.

kaze hikaru should of been the 1st to go!
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Kyjin wrote:
This is only another reason why I am not renewing my subscription. The fact was I was really only reading the magazine for Absolute Boyfriend and Nana, and I'd rather just pick of the tankoubon anyway. Kaze Hikaru was a bore for me to read, but I loved Godchild and I'm sad to see it pulled. I was very annoyed though when they started doing full color issues that are hard to read due to the blue and pink text. I'd rather get the tankoubon than waste my time with a magazine that I'm hardly reading anyway.

i perfer the blk and wht as well. kaze didn't appeal to me at all and god child should be top 3 in my thoughts
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Wakaiba wrote:
Did magazines like Smile! ever pull the same crap? I came in too late in the game to remember.

smile!?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Good god, Viga, please stop spamming. Use the edit button.

And you don't have to comment on every little thing.

Quote:
smile!?

And now you aren't even using sentences....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4