• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anyone bothered by incestuous relationships in some anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:35 am Reply with quote
shirokiryuu wrote:
i wonder if it's tradition because of their gods intermarrying too (i.e. Osiris)

That would fit Lewis' viewpoint. However, Pharoah and royalties were considered as living gods, so Tyldesley's thoery is also applicable: inbreeding was a privilege, not a choice, a common practice, or even an option, among commoners.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:52 am Reply with quote
here is the answer:

http://www.pbs.org/empires/egypt/life_pharaoh.html

Quote:
Incest was used as a way of keeping the immediate royal family exclusive; the throne was passed to a son and incest would ensure he was of royal blood. (For example, Ramesses II was married to three of his daughters and Hatshepsut was married to her own brother). It was also a way of linking pharaohs with the gods as they were believed to be incestuous. For the rest of Egyptian society, marrying a relative was exceedingly rare (see Akhenaten).

cyrax777

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:00 am Reply with quote
Only in hentai.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
DKL

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:26 am Reply with quote
shirokiryuu wrote:
here is the answer:

http://www.pbs.org/empires/egypt/life_pharaoh.html

Quote:
Incest was used as a way of keeping the immediate royal family exclusive; the throne was passed to a son and incest would ensure he was of royal blood. (For example, Ramesses II was married to three of his daughters and Hatshepsut was married to her own brother). It was also a way of linking pharaohs with the gods as they were believed to be incestuous. For the rest of Egyptian society, marrying a relative was exceedingly rare (see Akhenaten).

"Keeping it in the family?"

Well, it's creepy sometimes. But it could work sometimes too.

... It depends on how it's played out.

But for the most part, my gut will just gauge. If I feel queezy, that's not a good sign.
angel_lover

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:44 am Reply with quote
shirokiryuu wrote:
i wonder if it's tradition because of their gods intermarrying too (i.e. Osiris)

Now we need someone who majored in anthropology Smile As far as I understood these things, if you have a basic belief system where things start off with a single pair of male and female 'proto-gods' (usually earth/sky or land/sea, etc.) then all of the second generation gods will be siblings and so incest is unavoidable. Adam and Eve, anyone?
Iemander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:07 am Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
Wow, you're really reading far too much into my words here.

First, even though you took offense to my comment, I actually did want to know what you thought about the thread. Maybe you've already heard and commented on just about every anime topic there is, but I've yet to read it.

Second, I'm not some little kid, so I would greatly appreciate it if you would stop talking to me like that. IMO, your response was rather abrasive and I don't think my post has given you any serious justification for treating me in this way. Next time, instead of assuming that my comments are some sort of vague attack on your moderating skills, just go with the flow and maybe give me the benefit of the doubt instead.

Wow, when will you understand that whatever you think is completely irrelevant. You've got you, the moderators and the rules. You read the rules and either follow them or don't, the moderators then apply them, there's no step in between of those that allows you to bitch and moan your way through.

Accept that or just leave man.
Lapsus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:13 am Reply with quote
Incest Does bother me, since I`m kinda from western culture, but if its a way to put some more "something" in an Anime, I can owerlook it.

And speaking of inevitable /Proto-God/ or Adam-Eve thing, one could imply, that all 7.?? billion people are blood relatives and all and every relationship is incest.. Shocked yet, I have read "the Book" and know what the bible says. According to it, there were other people on the face of Earth besides Adam and Eve.. WTF?

Sor for the off-topic..

Last edited by Lapsus on Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
angel_lover

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:18 am Reply with quote
Lapsus wrote:
And speaking of inevitable /Proto-God/ or Adam-Eve thing, one could imply, that all 7.?? billion people are blood relatives and all and every relationship is incest.. Shocked

Well, if you go for evolution, every living thing on the planet is related, not just the people. But it's not being related that makes it incest, it's being too closely related.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:23 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't bother me. Those stories are nothing new. At university, they made me read some story like the son killed his father, married his mother, had kids with his mother.
daxomni

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
It doesn't bother me. Those stories are nothing new. At university, they made me read some story like the son killed his father, married his mother, had kids with his mother.

I don't think the son knew what he was doing during most of that and he even killed himself when he found out. Is that the story you're talking about? Wink
daxomni

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Iemander wrote:
Accept that or just leave man.

I've sent you a PM regarding your posts. Anything else you have to say to me should be in the form of a PM.
daxomni

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Namie wrote:
Yep, it'll be great if we can open up another thread on this! Very Happy

I was going to, but I have to be careful about stuff like this because I've already been criticized for questioning the views and motives of people who are attracted to some of the more taboo subjects in anime. I also have to be careful to make sure I form a specific opinion first and then outline that opinion in detail in the opening post before asking others what they think about the subject. At this point I don't honestly know how people become attracted to these themes, so I'm just not at the point where I can post my own thread yet.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I don't think the son knew what he was doing during most of that and he even killed himself when he found out. Is thatthe story you're talking about? Wink

hai ^^
shikatamasu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Kind of like watching a train wreck

Along those lines I remember reading "Anime Explosion" by Patrick Drazen, which addresses the issue somewhat in it's explanation of Cream Lemon-The Ami Nanomura Story which is a hentai title.

Love that analogy, and it's so true. We know it is going to be bad, but we look anyway. Thanks for that article info BTW, sounds interesting.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:28 pm Reply with quote
shikatamasu wrote:
Kruszer wrote:
Kind of like watching a train wreck

Along those lines I remember reading "Anime Explosion" by Patrick Drazen, which addresses the issue somewhat in it's explanation of Cream Lemon-The Ami Nanomura Story which is a hentai title.

Love that analogy, and it's so true. We know it is going to be bad, but we look anyway. Thanks for that article info BTW, sounds interesting.

Here is the book I was talking about if you're interested in reading it. Anime Explosion is available at amazon there, your local bookstore may carry it as well. Some other subjects of interest include hentai, homosexual themes in anime, Bushido: The way of the Warrior, the roles of women, and also addresses many cliches and popular themes like "War sucks" and "Teenaged characters saving the world."

Last edited by Kruszer on Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:21 am; edited 2 times in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5