• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2005-10-14]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a_lonewolf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
We had a few runners-up, too, which is surprising given the sheer number of people who sent in the same "it's a zit" or "say hello to my little friend" jokes.

LOL...I was one of the masses that submitted the "say hello to my little friend" joke. Of course, I know Zac would have thought it was funnier if he could have heard me say it in my Scarface impression. Laughing

Seriously though the winning caption this week was totally unexpected and totally funny.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jerseymilk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:52 am Reply with quote
I'd like to also point out that despite what many anime fans here believe, Japan is not some "OMG-anime-around-every-corner-land". It's there, but it's not like every single citizen will know what the heck you're talking about when you go up to them and start chatting away about the latest episode of "Tsubasa Chronicle". The animation industry there was particularly affected when the "bubble economy" burst back in the 90's. That's a lot of the reason why Japanese animation companies are farming a lot of work out to other countries such as Korea and the Philippines. They are struggling just like everyone else.

Anyway, whether or not the companies are aware or care about the foreign market, it's still technically illegal. It's copyrighted material, therefore it belongs to someone and it's their work. I've already said that I think that fansubs have their place and are useful for promoting series, but to justify not buying DVDs and such because you think that Japanese companies don't care about the rest of the world, is still just as wrong.
one3rd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:36 am Reply with quote
a_lonewolf wrote:
Quote:
We had a few runners-up, too, which is surprising given the sheer number of people who sent in the same "it's a zit" or "say hello to my little friend" jokes.

LOL...I was one of the masses that submitted the "say hello to my little friend" joke. Of course, I know Zac would have thought it was funnier if he could have heard me say it in my Scarface impression. Laughing

No, because everyone else would do the same thing.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:41 am Reply with quote
I love the responses, Answerman is an editorial columnist and simply that means this type of article is exactly what this type of column is for. The fact that so many people are up in arms over it is a great demonstration of just how large the issue actually is.

I see the purists have found their way here, or at least one has gone into the purists argument, typical. Stating up front that subs are better than dubs because your opinion is their actors are better is the start of your flaws kirtai. As that is an opinion it is a good way to start your arguments in a factual debate off on the wrong foot. I find english VA's much better than japanese VA's as I find japanese VA's to lack depth and range generally. Of course, that's my opinion and I'm not going to actually try to use it as a basis of my viewpoint in a debate that individual opinion doesn't mean a thing.

The industry does indeed care if DVDs get sold here, because if they don't the companies that release the DVDs domestically will stop paying to license the shows and the money they pay for licensing is significant. If a show won't sell, why license the show, or why license as many? That's quite a loss of income for the studios that produce the shows. While some years ago the money they earned from licenses wasn't too significant that has indeed changed and current production would definetely be impacted if they lost the money they earn from licenses presently.

I don't think Answerman demeaned anyone, he simply stated things essentially how it is. He was blunt, yes, but sometimes that's what it takes and is pretty much what editorial columnists do. Ignoring the fansubs issue won't make them go away, and pretending they'll have no impact won't make that fantasy true either. And for the sub and dub debate the funniest thing is that those who support dubs are accepting of both mediums while it's only the sub devoted purists that essentially state "my way or no way". I'm a dub fan, I can appreciate both but prefer dubs in most instances with modern shows, now back up a number of years and I wouldn't give most dubs the time of day but they've improved significantly and most the purists arguments don't hold much water now.

There was nothing unprofessional about it, it was an article with a very accurate point and plenty of facts behind it. Just because the fansubbers are offended by reality doesn't mean it's unprofessional to write an article about it. Polls could show 80% of the people feel murder should be legal, doesn't mean it'd be right to legalize it or wrong to talk about how it's wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FullmetalCJ
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:41 am Reply with quote
Good advice on how to write for a magazine, especially the part about being able to capture the publication's voice. That's an important point that a lot of people just don't think about when first going after magazine work.

BTW, Newtype USA no longer requires freelancers to pitch specific stories. Most of our freelance work is in the reviews section (DVDs, manga and games) and those are assigned out to writers, though good samples and a compelling feature/article pitch could certainly grease the wheels with any editor. Even if you're not given the greenlight on that specific pitch, it shows that you're thinking about content.

Newtype has a general e-mail address for such things as well, but interested writers could also send a resume and samples (and one of those polite and professional letters Zac suggested) to me directly at [email protected].

kthxbye!

- CJ
a_lonewolf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:58 am Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
a_lonewolf wrote:
Quote:

No, because everyone else would do the same thing.

Yeah...I know that's what everyone would do. I was being facetious. Smile. There's no reason to take things so seriously. Smile
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:18 am Reply with quote
Another great column!

Even as a sub fan myself (though a fan of professional, licensed subs), I never tire of seeing you yank the chains of the easily-offended within the fandom.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belisarius

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:39 am Reply with quote
This has got to be one of the most poorly written, inflammatory editorials I have ever seen in web or print media. I'm even a little surprised the editors of ANN approved it. It will be significantly more difficult for me to take anything written by columnists working for this website seriously in the future. I would urge the editorial staff to at least publish a response by someone who is not so blinded by an inexplicable anti-fansub bias.
Iria51

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:50 am Reply with quote
A very good column that pretty much goes at the heart of the fansub debate. There is one thing to add about this though, and that is that pirated materials in ANY form, are ILLEGAL.There was a time when fansubs were a great way, and in most cases the only way, to see an anime series here in North America. I still remember those days. But, those days are gone, now that there are licensed and localized series comming out every week and are being broadcast on TV. I have posted this before and I'll do so again, but the whole dowloading of episodes and series off of the internet is just a symptom of our ADD, I need it now, society. /offsoapbox
Jonesly

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:10 pm Reply with quote
belisarius wrote:
This has got to be one of the most poorly written, inflammatory editorials I have ever seen in web or print media. I'm even a little surprised the editors of ANN approved it. It will be significantly more difficult for me to take anything written by columnists working for this website seriously in the future. I would urge the editorial staff to at least publish a response by someone who is not so blinded by an inexplicable anti-fansub bias.

You don't read very many editorials do you? Or watch much television? Or listen to ANY talk radio? As far as editorials go, this was really, really tame.

Which of course, since I found it mild, means that I must agree with the Answerman. Well, I do. *shrug* It happens. People have different opinions on topics some consider sacred. Learn to deal.
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:12 pm Reply with quote
belisarius wrote:
I would urge the editorial staff to at least publish a response by someone who is not so blinded by an inexplicable anti-fansub bias.

Am I the only one who recognizes that Zac is not ripping on fansubs, but on a particular type of fansub fan? He's not even being antagonistic against fansub fans in general, only the ones who have started a tirade against DVDs released by anime companies. How can you possibly disagree with this? You actually support the "fans" who argue that the Western anime industry is evil and nobody should buy their releases? Please. Fansubbing is discussed in his response only as an example of the logic that these whiny, selfish people are using, which supports his explanation. I, for one, applaud his efforts and send him my sympathy for the flames he's bound to receive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Genjackel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:12 pm Reply with quote
This whole debate of fansubs is kind of useless, for no matter what you say, there are still gong to be the people parading for "the original title" and downloading thousands of fansubs without giving anything back to the anime community.

I do download fansubs, but for me its more of a way to sample what’s coming over here or to get older stuff that doesn’t have much of a chance to come over here anymore. And I do still watch Naruto, but it's more of the fact that I don't feel like waiting until they finally get episode 150 dubbed over here. I like the story, and I would like to finish it, and as soon as Naruto comes out on DVD, I’ll be one of the first there to pick it up. I personally don't mind if the keep fansubbing the series, though I'm sure it would be a lot better if they took off the earlier episodes as they appeared on TV here in the U.

As for fansubs hurting the anime community, I agree that there are those who will never go purchase the DVD that may hurt the community, but you also have to realize how much fansubs help companies. Naruto probably wouldn’t be nearly as popular as it is now if not for the large underground movement for the show that spread to the normal viewing audience. What we have to wait for to solve this argument is for when the Naruto DVD to come out and see the sales of that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:47 pm Reply with quote
NewtypeCJ wrote:
Good advice on how to write for a magazine, especially the part about being able to capture the publication's voice. That's an important point that a lot of people just don't think about when first going after magazine work.

BTW, Newtype USA no longer requires freelancers to pitch specific stories. Most of our freelance work is in the reviews section (DVDs, manga and games) and those are assigned out to writers, though good samples and a compelling feature/article pitch could certainly grease the wheels with any editor. Even if you're not given the greenlight on that specific pitch, it shows that you're thinking about content.

Newtype has a general e-mail address for such things as well, but interested writers could also send a resume and samples (and one of those polite and professional letters Zac suggested) to me directly at [email protected].

kthxbye!

- CJ

Ah, thanks for the information! I was working with knowledge from a year or two ago when I was still a freelancer and Newtype required me to pitch articles.
lazuline

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:52 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Jonesly"]
belisarius wrote:
This has got to be one of the most poorly written, inflammatory editorials I have ever seen in web or print media. I'm even a little surprised the editors of ANN approved it. It will be significantly more difficult for me to take anything written by columnists working for this website seriously in the future.

You guys need to go back to page 2 and read the posts made by myself and Kyouha, because it seems that many people are turning this debate into fansub vs. DVD. In reality, the issue is not the ethics of fansubs (a mute point) but the ethics of the Answerman in his column. His immature, malicious, and logically questionable responses have depraved what used to be considered an informative and enjoyable column.

By the way: Zach, we're still waiting for your response.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Rolling Eyes Give me a break, nothing he stated was immature or inflammatory unless you are one of the people guilty of the specific crime he brought up. Like it or not, his article was very much about the ethics of it and if you took offense to it then it's likey you're guilty of it. It still is an informative column, you just don't agree with it now and became oversensitive in regards to it.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9