• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Merchant Evicted from Australian Event

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Caloris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Caloris wrote:
Madman

Hehe, what did they do?

Madman paid for 6 tables. They brought in their own extra 7th table without asking Manifest or paying for the extra space. They used the extra table to sell “discounted” stock. That is, 2nd hand stock that had been returned to them from other stores. They were then trading in new mint condition stock from other stalls at Manifest for the 2nd hand stock and paying back the difference.
lantis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Madman paid for 6 tables. They brought in their own extra 7th table without asking Manifest or paying for the extra space. They used the extra table to sell “discounted” stock. That is, 2nd hand stock that had been returned to them from other stores. They were then trading in new mint condition stock from other stalls at Manifest for the 2nd hand stock and paying back the difference.[/quote]

As a former con chair in the US how do you bring an extra table in and use extra space. In the US we sell booth spaces not tables. If the dealer wants to put extra tables in their space they can do it.

By the way in the US you are allowed to sell returned merchandise as new stock if it is not opened. Otherwise all the anime companies would go bankrupt. Wal Mart, Best Buy and Suncaost our largest chains here routinely overorder and return 50-70% of their order.

doug lu
Caloris

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:23 am Reply with quote
lantis wrote:
As a former con chair in the US how do you bring an extra table in and use extra space. In the US we sell booth spaces not tables. If the dealer wants to put extra tables in their space they can do it.

Some Australian conventions sell by the table, others do it by the space/booth. Others use both depending on what they have in the venue. The number of vendors passes they get depend on the amount of tables they buy. They might get 2 passes per table. If they have 3 people working, they can either by a 2nd table and get 4 passes and more display space or another extra pass.
They sell by the table because they often have fan groups, artists and anime clubs coming as well.

Quote:
By the way in the US you are allowed to sell returned merchandise as new stock if it is not opened. Otherwise all the anime companies would go bankrupt. Wal Mart, Best Buy and Suncaost our largest chains here routinely overorder and return 50-70% of their order.

doug lu

They were reselling opened stock for $15/disc (Madman's RRP - $29.95/disc, convention price - $25/disc). People who got unopened stock from another store at the convention were trading it in for the opened stock and getting $10/disc back from Madman.
burning batsu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:34 am Reply with quote
Cartoon Passion turned up at Armageddon Auckland this weekend just past.

By the end of the first day they had received their final warning. Yes they were selling bootlegs.

Found out not too long ago that CP has been banned from all future armageddon events.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
SecretJustin1130

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:08 pm Reply with quote
God, I'm always paranoid about buying stuff at cons because I don't think I really identify if something's bootleg or not. That's why I'm super happy when official booths from Japan come to convetion so I can buy One Piece stuff directly from the Toei booth.

Starwind Amada wrote:
Emerje wrote:
Starwind Amada wrote:
Strangle that hypocritical moron. How'd she get to be a con chair? Must've slept with someone.

No, the con was pretty much her project from the start. She's also a school teacher, some role model, eh?

Emerje

Wow. What a total b!tch.

Can you please stop.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Telling him to stop probably isn't going to do much sincethis thread is 7 years old... Wink
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:37 pm Reply with quote
ANN should really consider locking all their old threads, instead of just giving a warning.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how long this thread could stay revived before it's locked? Smile
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:09 pm Reply with quote
We generally don't like locking Talkback threads because of the chance that the news item might come up again, but in this particular case I think it's warranted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3