• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: PS4 Is Region Free, But Online Multiplayer Requires PS+ Subscription

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:13 am Reply with quote
Sigh there all ways a catch and why I stop getting them at PS1
kuma78

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:33 am Reply with quote
order has been restored: Sony regains the crown of console king and the PC is still the master race. That being said I wonder if EA will eventually fold to not charge for used games (because we all know they will, day one) as the blacklash of them charging at least $20 for a "used" title sounds about on par for them.

There's nothing to "hope" for the Wii U. It just goes to show that the wii was fluke. The Wii U is on par with the sales of the other systems (sales of every system since the NES have been lower than the previous gen.. the wii was the fluke).
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:12 pm Reply with quote
So they finally released this bastard??? Great it's region free yet it's not even backward compatible for PS3 owners. So will it also play import BDs?
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Im not really a tech guy, so can anyone tell me if these specs are better than the xbox one???
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:27 pm Reply with quote
The fact that the PS4 won't be region locked has cemented my decision in buying one since I do import games. Lack of backwards compatibility isn't a deal-breaker for me.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Im not really a tech guy, so can anyone tell me if these specs are better than the xbox one???

The PS4 does have the better and more powerful hardware specs. XBox One has access to cloud servers which supposedly boost the performance of the console by handling various computations and whatnot so that the XBox One doesn't have to. But your internet connection would presumably need to be extremely fast and reliable in order to make use of this feature, as otherwise the lag would be too large to be workable. And of course if you play offline you can't use the servers.

To reiterate, the PS4 has higher base specs.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:

This article from PS Lifestyle may answer your question. I would say yes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Those interested in multiplayer gaming, but not wanting to subscribe yearly ought to float this idea to Sony via twitter/social media -

- Say you are a gamer who only plays a few games online, say for example you only play Call of Duty, instead of having to pay $60 a year, can Sony provide an option of an Online Pass per specific game?

So can I instead once pay $10 extra for an online pass specifically for Call of Duty that allows me to only play that game online, but no other games online?

So we have the option of
a) PS+ Subscription, all games can be played online - $60 annually

or

b) Pay once for specific game online pass - $10 per game that you wish to play online.

I think that would be a fair idea. And can even be leveraged as a Day One pre-order incentive so early purchasers who don't subscribe can pick it up, much like how it is on PS3 an incentive to buy New.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:46 pm Reply with quote
If you own a Sony console and don't have PS+ yet, you are dumb. The sheer amount of free stuff you get from this is staggering.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:54 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:

This article from PS Lifestyle may answer your question. I would say yes.

dtm42 wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:

The PS4 does have the better and more powerful hardware specs. XBox One has access to cloud servers which supposedly boost the performance of the console by handling various computations and whatnot so that the XBox One doesn't have to. But your internet connection would presumably need to be extremely fast and reliable in order to make use of this feature, as otherwise the lag would be too large to be workable. And of course if you play offline you can't use the servers.

To reiterate, the PS4 has higher base specs.

Alright, thanks guys. Im glad the ps4 is more powerful, it just makes me feel good that after all these years of being with PS, sony still doesn't let us down
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:

BD were not "region locked" for most anime fans, because the US and Japan share a BD region.

Most anime BDs just aren't region locked at all. Even if you're region B or C or D, you should be able to play most anime BDs.

Dessa wrote:
I don't believe that a PS3 will play UK/AU BD (or games), and I'd assume that the "region free" on the PS4 is also the same, they're looking more at people importing between US/JP, not other regions. I could be wrong (and I hope I am) with games, but I doubt with BD.

Incorrect. I can play UK games on my US PS3 and vice versa. I imported the UK version of Record of Agarest War because of that and the lack of physical release for the US PS3 version.

animehermit wrote:
If you own a Sony console and don't have PS+ yet, you are dumb. The sheer amount of free stuff you get from this is staggering.

Or I simply have no need for it yet. Those "free" games aren't worth much if I'm not likely to play them.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Anyone know if the PS4 will be backwards-compatible with PS3 games? If I'm going to have to switch between the two constantly, I'll stick with my PS3 for a few years.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:49 pm Reply with quote
HyugaHinata wrote:
Anyone know if the PS4 will be backwards-compatible with PS3 games? If I'm going to have to switch between the two constantly, I'll stick with my PS3 for a few years.

It's not. They say they're looking into doing something about it someday. Don't hold your breath.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:

Catseyetiger wrote:
The PS4 network will not be free, like the PS3, this is a mistake.

Only for online multiplayer games. Everything else is free, unlike XBL which requires a gold account for anything online.

No, not anything. Mainly online multiplayer and streaming, but everything else is also free on XBL. Though to give credit, XBL generally has the better online experience - that's why gamers tolerate paying for it if their money is being put to good use. When Sony starts charging, they better also have improved PSN experience for online gamers to tolerate paying.

Ambimunch wrote:

Alright, thanks guys. Im glad the ps4 is more powerful, it just makes me feel good that after all these years of being with PS, sony still doesn't let us down

The specs are close enough that, unless you're the type as uber PC gamers, you won't notice the difference, not like between 360 DVDs and PS3 Blu-rays.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:22 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Though to give credit, XBL generally has the better online experience - that's why gamers tolerate paying for it if their money is being put to good use.

I'd argue that actually. I frequently play games online on my Xbox. I can't enjoy it all that often because often, I run into at least one person per game of anything that tends to hack and ruin the enjoyment for me.

With the PS3, I haven't had that problem.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5