• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece Premieres on Adult Swim's Toonami Tonight

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
Pokenatic wrote:
You guys are just proving Thatguy's point.

Also, WHY are you even here on this thread if you guys hate English dubs so much?

Because I love One Piece and think it isn't done justice with the dub.

Also, anime is an inherently Japanese thing and if you're going to broadcast it without both audio tracks I think you're missing the point entirely.

If you have ever lived abroad and had English-language movies you wanted to see only available dubbed in the local language or edited for your country you would understand what I am talking about.

1.) Just because you don't like the dub doesn't mean you have to go bashing it here. I hate SAO's second arc with a passion but I wouldn't go to a SAO thread just to tear it apart with my criticisms.

2.) With that logic you can pretty much argue that subs are an Americanization as well and that we anime fans should all learn Japanese and watch raws.

2.5.) What do you mean "broadcast it without both audio tracks"? I've never heard that you could choose the audio track for a TV program.

3.) Then I'd watch the version I prefer online. The subbed version of One Piece is readily available online (through Funimation and Hulu).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:08 pm Reply with quote
I don't follow the anime at all so I've a couple of questions. Is this episode filler or not? If it is, does anyone know when the fillers will be ending?
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:
I don't follow the anime at all so I've a couple of questions. Is this episode filler or not? If it is, does anyone know when the fillers will be ending?

It's not filler. They're starting at the beginning of the CP9 saga's Davy Back Fight arc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mashimizu

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Its amazing how ignorant anime fans can be and yet have this hint of arrogance. "People that watch dubs are stupid and lazy herpa derp derp." Seriously? Not all of us have time to waste learning a language by the way. Some of us are to busy trying to learn things that will actually help them in life and you know having a life. Also how does the english dub not do it justice? Personally I think the laughs are annoying. I like how Funi handles them, they make them sound more realistic.

I watch subs too by the way. Its just the whole "subs is the only way to watch anime" mentality irritates me. God forbid people think differently than you. I honestly pity these people. They have nothing better to do than waste their time on forums bashing whatever they don't agree with. Just sad really.

And those are my two cents. Peace.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Pokenatic wrote:
Tenbyakugon wrote:

It's not filler. They're starting at the beginning of the CP9 saga's Davy Back Fight arc.

Ah, okay. Thanks. I wondered if it might be filler as the title didn't really allude to anything familiar for me, but then again this was such a long time ago, manga-wise.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:

Um, you didn't really need to point that out. The schedule is exactly as the article stated it would be.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:36 pm Reply with quote
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:36 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
In this case, the anime is not ostensibly aimed at adults, and people can stop being pretentious by pretending that it is. It's shounen first and foremost, and at best it's all-ages. (And we all should watch Shakespeare in Ye Olde English and Journey to the West in Chinese.)

Shakespeare is actually Early Modern English so watching it in the Elizabethan language is like watching Huckleberry Finn using the dialect Twain used for it. If you're talking Old English, then you mean Beowulf. Although watching Chaucer in Middle English would be somewhat challenging too.

Also Shakespeare wrote for all levels of people too. He wrote for the "groundlings" or the common man and he wrote on a different level for the smart guy.

Getting back to One Piece, it doesn't really matter what language it's watched in. It basically would have the same quality as long as you don't have the garbage 4kids pulled with it. English Dubs are not as bad as they were in the Streamline days. And as my sister can tell you, some people find it difficult to read and watch something at the same time which is why I basically can only watch dubbed anime with her (I watch dubs, but since a lot of my anime comes from watching Crunchyroll, the majority of what I watch is subtitled.)
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Pangea wrote:
[Troll post removed]

does this apply to translated works in general, or only to your favorite cartoons?

Banken wrote:
Read carefully; I didn't insult anyone. But seriously, if you're an adult you should watch foreign films with subtitles. The only reason not to is if you're [insults removed]. Dubs are [insults removed]

one piece is in all but the most literal sense a saturday morning cartoon. like thundercats or symbionic titan. it's about a stretchy boy and his friends going on a wacky sea adventure and helping people and beating the bad guys with the power of friendship and burning passion. sometimes dark things happen or characters die. that doesn't mean that it is not a kids' show.

Banken wrote:
You realize it's possible to learn a foreign language with subtitles, right? Why would anyone prefer a little bit of mindless entertainment over the opportunity to better themselves?

you have failed yourself if you are not able to tell a denizen of glorious Nippon in his own sacred tongue that you are going to be king of the pirates
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:

And the dub Luffy pales in comparison to the point where it's not even the same character.

Come on, it's not like it's the DBZ dub.

And I think Colleen Clinkenbeard does pretty well as Luffy. She's no Tanaka, but who is?

But hey, I'm not a huge OP fan, so perhaps this is out of my purview.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Pokenatic wrote:
The schedule is exactly as the article stated it would be.

Yeah, well ANN doesn't mention about SARA at all, so bite me.

Last edited by Hypeathon on Sat May 18, 2013 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
luxgirl18

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:55 pm Reply with quote
11G4GUNOT wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:
I more nail in the soon end of anime on US tvs
and end up online? Digital TV/Cable/Satellite channels without anime is boring and it sucks.

and inb4 Canadian post about YTV.
Hey Nelvana/Corus contact Turner/Williams Street bro.
this is getting old.
how cool
Anyway i dont live in the US but instead in canada and im wondering how come they dont show these cartoons on ytv soul eater sword art online has only heen shown in america and yet it has been so many yrs since ytv showed one piece inuyasha naryto etc so why cant we warch them here in canwda
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:56 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
She's no Tanaka, but who is?

no one but Tanaka herself
sypherman

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:03 am Reply with quote
It's amazing how pretentious people can be about cartoons. Yes I called One Piece a cartoon, deal with it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7