• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Launches Full Site in Spain, Portugal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Jesus, is the difference THAT great?

I never really had trouble following British English works--is the difference between Iberian and Latin American Spanish much greater than that?
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I don't have a particular problem following Spanish TV programs or Spanish dubbed series or anime either, I have no idea of what chronos20 means when he says Spanish people can't understand Latinos on the phone. Yes, the accent is notably different, and regionalisms may vary significantly,-like I said earlier, many words vary in meanings across different countries- but I really don't think the grammatical differences are such a big deal as they have been made out to be (I can understand "Fui a la tienda" just as much as "He ido a la tienda", what's the deal?). Having been educated in both American and British English, though, I can say the differences are much more noticeable between Iberian and Latin Spanish
chronos02

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Well, the thing is, Latin Spanish people can understand Iberian Spanish without much problems, but Iberian Spanish people have many problems understanding Latin American Spanish.

The reason Latin Spanish speakers understand the Iberian Spanish and not the other way round lies mainly in three points:

Vocabulary: Most of the vocabulary Iberian Spanish people use is available in Latin American Spanish, while much of the vocabulary Latin Spanish people use is non existent in Iberian Spanish (Iberian Spanish has barely evolved since the 1500s, compared to Latin Spanish which has been greatly influenced by English, and many local languages since the 1500s, making it very different in terms of vocabulary. Interestingly, they keep using many words from ancient Iberian Spanish that have been forgotten here or are very rarely used).

Spelling: Spelling in Latin Spanish has a lot of variants, and between the various countries that speak Spanish in the Americas, the differences in spelling are notorious. On the other hand, Spain has spelling variations, but are not as great as the ones found in the Americas. Most of the Iberian Spanish is extremely vocal in spelling, making it easy to hear and understand, Latin Spanish in the other hand is fast paced and hard to decipher in many instances. The easiest to understand is the Argentina variant and maybe the Chile variant of Spanish.

Precision: As I said before, Iberian Spanish is very specific in sentences, and everything is said so the full meaning the transmitter wants to communicate reaches the receiver, but in many cases the articles are omitted because of the written and/or situational context where the sentence is, and/or is said in. On the other hand, Latin Spanish in general is not as specific and makes much more use of situational and contextual implied meanings to complete the sentences's meaning. This means that a Latin Spanish speaker will understand what an Iberian Spanish speaker will say, but the other way round, the Iberian Spanish speaker being the receiver, he or she will very often feel a lack of information on the sentences, and it's not because they can't understand them, but because they are not used to using that much implied meaning from the context to communicate in daily conversations.

That's why when talking on the phone with a Latin Spanish operator many Iberian Spanish fall into despair, they don't understand what is being said to them because of the vocabulary, they often don't understand what the Latin Spanish is saying because of the accent, and they lack the ability to use that much implied meaning from the context in every day conversations because they are not used to it.

As an additional curiosity, Argenitno is highly appreciated in Spain, it's musical and nice to hear to, but is also considered as exotic. People like to hear it from time to time, but can get annoyed if it's used all the time, like in movies for example. But many Spanish always boast of their Argenitno friend who talks like an angel and stuff like that.

Also...
CrowLia wrote:
I can understand "Fui a la tienda" just as much as "He ido a la tienda", what's the deal?).

For you it might not have a lot of difference, but for an Iberian Spanish speaker, "Fui a la tienda" lacks a time location in the sentence, for example "El martes fui a la tienda" or "hace un rato fui a la tienda". The lack of that information makes the Iberian Spanish hearing the sentence unable to understand the time of the action. On the other hand, "He ido a la tienda" implies immediate action, so the time can be omitted "Ahora he ido a la tienda" is redundant, same goes for "hace un momento he ido a la tienda" (though the last once could be used in certain situations). In any case, for an Iberian Spanish, "Fui a la tienda" is an incomplete sentence and lacks information.

It's really annoying, but that's how it is (We are the most annoyed by this, because companies just don't care, and we can't do anything about the language, but we can still try and make those companies see that there's a right way to enter our market).

Last edited by chronos02 on Sun May 05, 2013 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Just what Latin Spanish has spelling variations? I don't even get what you're talking about. Are you using the same English dialect as I am?

Also, saying Iberian Spanish hasn't evolved since 1500? Like I said, Cervantes and Quevedo must be rolling in their graves -and just because you don't care about them doesn't mean they're not landmarks in the evolution of Spanish, and central figures in a period that is considered to have the most high-quality Spanish language production ever

In such a globalized world as this one, in which one can fluently write in a language that is not one's own, I find the argument "I can't understand X variation of my own language", stupid to say the least
giromaster

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

I never really had trouble following British English works--is the difference between Iberian and Latin American Spanish much greater than that?

not really, i'm Chilean and i've never met anyone who can't understand Iberian Spanish, but apparently some people like chronos02 just can't get over it. It's not that hard we just use different synonyms (much like in british english), which by the way are approved by the RAE, and thus they should be known by spanish people( at least partially). and that difference he mentioned between "he ido" and "fui" is not really a regional difference, those are two different conjugations for different times ( according to the RAE).

EDIT: oops i didn't read that last part where you clarified the "he ido" "fui" deal, my mistake
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:44 pm Reply with quote
If we want to get technical about RAE, three years ago, RAE declared Colombian Spanish to be the "best" spoken Spanish. Draw your own conclusions about this and chronos20's claims about Latino's incorrect spelling and grammar
chronos02

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:46 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Just what Latin Spanish has spelling variations? I don't even get what you're talking about. Are you using the same English dialect as I am?

Also, saying Iberian Spanish hasn't evolved since 1500? Like I said, Cervantes and Quevedo must be rolling in their graves -and just because you don't care about them doesn't mean they're not landmarks in the evolution of Spanish, and central figures in a period that is considered to have the most high-quality Spanish language production ever

In such a globalized world as this one, in which one can fluently write in a language that is not one's own, I find the argument "I can't understand X variation of my own language", stupid to say the least

Latin Spanish has no spelling variations between the different countries and areas? you don't get something so... easy to understand? The spelling of Latin Spanish is different between the different countries in the Americas, their accents are different, it's not that hard, is it?

Well, just to answer directly to the Cervantes and Quevedo thing, not out of my mouth, but out of my teachers's mouths, I use Spanish which even Cervantes would be glad to hear. Boasting is not my thing, but that comment just pissed me off.

Also, Iberian Spanish has had a very low evolution since then, the only noticeable changes have been on the vocabulary, they would roll in their graves if they heard some Latin Spanish talk though, to the point they'd pluck their eardrums out with their bare hands.

And finally, it is much, much harder to learn a variation of your own language than to learn a completely different one, if you ever had something to do with teaching you'd know something so blatantly obvious and proven.

I don't like personal attacks, but you really leave no choice huh?

CrowLia wrote:
If we want to get technical about RAE, three years ago, RAE declared Colombian Spanish to be the "best" spoken Spanish. Draw your own conclusions about this and chronos20's claims about Latino's incorrect spelling and grammar

Again with this, you have a serious reading comprehension problem, that was a comment referred to many fansubs that care about speed and don't give a dime about correct translation, grammar, and vocabulary.

giromaster wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

not really, i'm Chilean and i've never met anyone who can't understand Iberian Spanish, but apparently some people like chronos02 just can't get over it. It's not that hard we just use different synonyms (much like in british english), which by the way are approved by the RAE, and thus they should be known by spanish people( at least partially). and that difference he mentioned between "he ido" and "fui" is not really a regional difference, those are two different conjugations for different times ( according to the RAE).

EDIT: oops i didn't read that last part where you clarified the "he ido" "fui" deal, my mistake

It IS a very noticeable difference, for us Iberian Spanish at least. I explained why before, you guys don't have as many problems understanding us, but we do have problems understanding you.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Seriously, what [expletive] spelling variations? Tell me THREE words that are WRITTEN differently in different Latin American countries.

Also, forgive me but your teacher's word is worth jackshit in this case. Today's Spanish has a shitload of French, Portugal, English and even German loanwords (this you learn in Elementary School, supposedly), it's nothing like 17th century Spanish. And the spelling has changed a lot too. I've worked with documents as old as 1560's, and the grammar, spelling and sintaxys is worlds apart. If Cervantes was reborn on this era he wouldn't understand shit of what either you or I have to say on anything.

If it's so hard to learn a variation of your own language, how come Latin Americans understand each other with very little problem -aside from general vocabulary variations-. I've had Spanish friends that I've met on the net and have had no problem communicating with them. Just because you're completely closed off to the possibility of something being in a different regionalism than yours doesn't mean everyone else is the same, stop projecting your prejudices to the rest of the world. You're giving an awful image of Spanish people.
kgw

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:12 am Reply with quote
There is not any spelling diference in Spanish. Neither version of it. While in British English it's "neigbourhood" and American English is "neighborhood", in the whole Spanish-speaking área is "vecindario".
Yup, maybe in America they will tell it |vesindario| and in Spain*, |vezindario|. But in the end, is all the same language.

If you say it's different just because you don't understand that a "guagua"** is an "autobús", or a "tinto" is "café", then I can say: ¿me estás o te estás choteando?

* except in Andalusia, Estremadura, Canary Islands...
** Canary Islands again; are they not Spain?
agila61

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:52 am Reply with quote
chronos02 wrote:
Latin Spanish has no spelling variations between the different countries and areas? you don't get something so... easy to understand? The spelling of Latin Spanish is different between the different countries in the Americas, their accents are different, it's not that hard, is it?

Its easy to understand, it just doesn't seem to be true. The different accents don't imply different spellings ... they mean that the same spelling is pronounced different ways. Just like Parisian French and West African French.

Quote:
Well, just to answer directly to the Cervantes and Quevedo thing, not out of my mouth, but out of my teachers's mouths, I use Spanish which even Cervantes would be glad to hear. Boasting is not my thing, but that comment just pissed me off.

The comment may piss you off, but if you teacher has said that, you are hearing hyperbole ~ either your teacher is engaged in hyperbole (exaggeration for dramatic effect) or your teacher encountered that hyperbole and misunderstood it, passing that misunderstanding on to you.

But the idea that Iberian Spanish is a living fossil from the days of Cervantes is simply absurd. Living languages don't work that way. Its one thing to claim that changes have on average been slower in Iberian Spanish than in Latin American Spanish ~ that is a relative claim that could well be true. But to make the absolute claim that your Spanish is the same as the Spanish of the time of Cervantes is an absolute claim which is simply absurd.

Indeed, if you go spouting such nonsense on forums that have a large enough number of Latin American spanish speakers, its no wonder that you have the impression that they are rude. As a general rule, when you go around the internet spouting nonsense, sooner or later somebody will be rude to you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3