• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime with disappointing endings?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jadin

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I forgot to mention Love Hina Again. Wow how could I have forgotten that? The way it ended was SO rushed. I'm surprised they rushed the ending to that popular anime. ghaah
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
cyrax777

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 1:15 am Reply with quote
Berserk but give the fact that the anime only covered irc the first 5 or 6 books of the manga I understand after reading the Manga im like WOW this is so much better then the anime.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Lowen Na

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 7:22 am Reply with quote
You didn't like Trigun's ending? I think that it has one of the best endings of any anime series I have seen because it stays true to the series. It is not rushed, and it doesn't ruine the charaters.

Bad endings.... Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040. The last 6 or 8 episodes of this series really put me off. I love the first part of the show though.

Martian Successor Nadesico... very rushed feeling and the movie doesn't flow with the show at all. I know that there was a book or books between the show and the movie, but the movie is so much darker than the show ever was.

Evangelion (TV ending). I believe that the TV ending and the movie ending are the same thing but told from diffrent point's of veiw. I just found the TV version to be to slow to be very interesting. I liked the conclusion, but 1 hour of the show in side Shinji's mind is boring. I liked the movie ending much better.
SuperSkylineGTR

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 10:51 am Reply with quote
I have one to add to this (and NO, it's not EoE, I'm done ranting about that).
Berserk. That was the stupidest f--king ending next to Season 2 of 24. And the funny thing is, I saw both of those within the same week!
At least I didn't drop the cash for the DVD's, my poor brother did. It's too bad, because series started drawing me in, but that ending...pathetic.
sean

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Surprised no one mentioned candidate for goddess. It ended so abruptly and just started to get good too. I am not sure if they planned on making more and did not have enough funding or something, but there could be 13 more episodes of it i think.

I also did not like the ending to AD police. I will remain discreet to not reveal a lot. I wish spoiler[ that one cool guy did not die at the end.]
zaphdash

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 1:45 am Reply with quote
Cheesemon wrote:
I hated the DBZ ending. Now the anime producers knew that they were going into GT, but if this ending was a faithful translation of Toriyama's manga, who himself was retiring the series when he drew it, then he made a bad conclusion. Er, follow me here? Anyway, the anime was notorious for all this unnecessary filler, and yet the final episode just resolved itself so quickly, with little reaction from the characters and another unfinished tournament. Very disappointing.

Well, as you said, the story was continued in GT, so there's where the real ending is (and the ending is about the only thing GT actually did right). But I didn't necessarily think the DBZ ending was all that bad, either.spoiler[ Throughout the Majin Buu saga, Son Goku mentions that he's not going to be around forever and he wants the people who are still alive to learn to deal with the threats to the Earth. That's why he teaches Trunks and Goten how to fuse, rather than simply going full power Super Saiya-jin 3 and killing Buu. So the story ends with Goku running off to train with Uubu, which is not only something he'd love to do anyway, but it insures that a member of the next generation is going to be able to help protect the Earth. ]I found it to be pretty appropriate. The Tenkaichi Budokai wasn't even an important aspect of the episode. Perhaps some reaction from the characters would have been nice, though.

Anyway, as for endings that disappointed me... I was mildly disappointed with the fate of Katejina Loos at the end of Victory Gundam. Gundam F91 has a pretty bad ending, but that's because it's really just the first 13 episodes of what was supposed to be a 52-episode TV show. The story is continued in manga, which hasn't been translated and therefore hasn't been read by me. Then there was the aforementioned Kare Kano, which didn't have so much an ending as just a point where episodes stopped being made. Macross Plus OVA had a pretty abrupt ending, but the movie version was better. Usually I'm just not too terribly dissatisfied with the endings of shows, though.
LordRobin

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 10:41 am Reply with quote
Lowen Na wrote:
You didn't like Trigun's ending? I think that it has one of the best endings of any anime series I have seen because it stays true to the series. It is not rushed, and it doesn't ruin the characters.

(Spoilers? I'll try to be vague, but surely just about anyone who wants to see Trigun has by now.)

I don't consider an ending that doesn't resolve anything to be a good ending. In order for the ending to be good, something needs to end. spoiler[Again, if you think Vash's brother is going to be a good boy once he wakes up, then I can see how you like the ending. I see no reason why he won't go back to being an evil scheming @#$%. The central idea to the plot was that their conflict could be resolved only by one of them dying. Vash tried to find a way out of that. I personally don't think he did.]

------RM
avius viator

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 11:30 am Reply with quote
LordRobin wrote:

(Spoilers? I'll try to be vague, but surely just about anyone who wants to see Trigun has by now.)
I don't consider an ending that doesn't resolve anything to be a good ending. In order for the ending to be good, something needs to end.

Forgive me if I'm getting a little off topic. But I don't think Trigun's ending was that disappointing. spoiler[ I agree with what was said regarding Vash's brother... but the series was more focused on Vash himself, and his internal conflicts. That is what was resolved in the ending. We see Vash finding peace within, and finally letting go of the past. He also finally finds a purpose, to 'save' his brother... which is what he will strive to do. Now whether or not he will be able to do so is up to your interpretation. Besides, (at least for me) the resolution of Wolfwood's character was enough to make the series for me. 'Paradise' is one of my all time favorite episodes. ]

I know everyone dogs the ending of Eva, but I actually liked the series ending a little more than EOE. (okay, stop lauging).

Quote:
the ending to Noir. it just felt empty

I loved the series, but I have to agree. It really bothers me because I can't put my finger on what I didn't like about the ending.... it just felt sort of anticlimatic.... empty is a good way to put it.
Meiaminkbell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Awww, Ouran was good becasue it set up possible sequels (which I believe they're making Very Happy ).

Dragon Half ending was bad simply because THEY NEVER FINISHED IT!

I've never really had an anime with a "bad" ending (well, except for Knights of Ramune but that show sucked overall). there are a lot of shows that I'd wish they'd continued, but that doesn't constitute a "bad" ending. A bad ending to me is one that is , as it says, a "bad" ending according to how the show is. Cliffhangers, deaths of characters, anything that makes reasonable sense that flows into the course of the story, I may not like it but they certainly aren't bad endings.

okay, I guess there was one but I think everyone who has seen Neon Genesis Evangelion believes that the ending was bad, but mind you, at the time I was beating my head into the couch (literally) screaming "WHAT THE fudge IS GOING ON?!"

However, if an ending leaves me going? "What happened?" Like Blade Trinity or 1408 then my predjuce side jumps in and I classify it as a bad movie.
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I don't have a problem with the extreme necro-posting, but--
Meiaminkbell wrote:
I think everyone who has seen Neon Genesis Evangelion believes that the ending was bad
--this is just stupid. I'm really getting tired of people claiming because they don't understand something that must mean that something doesn't make sense. I can admit I haven't been able to understand Lain completely the two times I've watched it, but I'm not willing to just simply pass divine judgment over the series; I allow for the possibility that I'm actually the problem and that maybe I should try a little harder to find out what the show was saying. There are so many NGE threads in the Discussions sticky--read them and hopefully you'll come to understand what was going on in that series.
Meiaminkbell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Actually I didn't necro this thread (i never look past the 1st page of any given forum). I think it was the complainer above you.

I just didn't like the ending, but I was presumptious to suggest that everyone was in agreement. of the NGE ending. I did have a hard time understanding it, but I did (can't explain now, boss is watching me), it's just not an ending I enjoyed.

Sorry for my presumption (didn't necro the thread though).
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Louie-kun wrote:
Sakura Diaries come to mind. Talk about a horrible ending
spoiler[The running plot has the main character Touma trying to pass his college exams, he has frequent nightmares about not passing throughout the series, and when the last episode comes, you don't learn if he passed or not!! ]

About Sakura Diaries, it isn't about his exams that makes it have a very disappointing ending. It's the fact that spoiler[ even in the ending you find the ditzy girl Urara running on the beach along side with the one she fell in love with which is her cousin Touma. Then you see him [almost] hug her from behind and in the last scene you find the same heart with a bunny and a squirel [which Touma wrote in some rock when they were kids] written in the sand get erased by the water. It's the ambiguity of the ending that makes it disappointing.]Though the anime is believed to be continued by it's manga, Sakura Diaries is just a bad anime as a whole. It's just filled with fan service and the story makes it worse. That's just my opinion though.

With that out of the way, I think the anime Paradise Kiss has a very VERY disappointing ending.[Parakiss] spoiler[They went trough all the drama, just for them to break up in the end. And the character Yukari ends up with, is unknown as well. George ends up being with a guy. Well I guess it can't be helped, it IS classified under josei after all.]The same goes for Rumbling Hearts, I hated the anime and ending so much. [Rumbling Hearts] spoiler[Takoyaki or whatever his name is, is just a guy who couldn't make up his mind. The ending was horrible, let's just leave it as that..]
Raicho

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:33 pm Reply with quote
I found Kiki’s Delivery Service fairly unsatisfactory, mainly because I felt as though it ended really abruptly and I feel as though they could have done a lot more. When it was done I just sort of stared at the screen and was like. “That’s it?”

I have a friend who really dislikes it when anime have perfect endings of the happily ever after variety. He really hated the ending of Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi becausespoiler[ Sasshi is able to use his ‘newfound power’ to basically change the past of the real world, thus making it so that Arumi’s grandfather never died, and then Arumi ends up not moving away and everything ends up working out fine.]
Fallout2man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Endings I hated:

Trigun, Star Ocean Ex, Martian Successor Nadesico, Elfen Lied, Tenjho Tenge, Get Backers, Ikki Tousen, Those who hunt elves...pretty much any series that ended and either obviously wasn't over or left a major dangling "but what about X?" to ponder over. I hate non-endings, point blank.

I disliked that Outlaw Star and Infinite Ryvius didn't have another series/season but the ending was at an okay point in the story (nothing major to wonder over, just wanted to see the characters go on more adventures.) I was, however, really dissappointed with X (the series)'s ending, if only in that I saw how great an opportunity it was to make a new major philosophical statement that went unused.

Honestly the only ending I think really fit well, was Cowboy Bebop, it was sad to see the series cut down so soon in what could've been a longer lifespan but it ended gracefully and resolved the conflicts. When CB ended, it was really over though, and it felt "over" which is a feeling very few anime ever give off at the end.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Zewerr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I loved Basilisk. It was awesome the whole way through. But the ending.....spoiler[why in the hell does EVERYONE have to die! I wish they would have left at least one person alive. JUST ONE!! I DON'T CARE WHO!] Otherwise, it still kicked ass!

I enjoyed the ending to Trigun. If it ended any other way, it wouldn't make sense.

I understand Berserk the anime is only the beginning of the story, and I should read the manga. But I don't read mangas, and probably never will. So this ending sucks for me until (which we all know probably won't happen) they create a sequel.

I didn't enjoy Inuyaha's ending, or lack of. I don't know. Does the manga actually end?

Maharomatic's ending was kinda bogus as well. It didn't go well with the rest of the anime, I don't think.

Eva was already mentioned. I agree with most of you.

Please Teacher! was lame, cause I think Koishi was way hotter than Ms. Kazami! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9