• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why are all anime characters so good looking?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DKL

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:01 am Reply with quote
Well, X is a gothic shoujo anime Razz

... it's by CLAMP too
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 6:38 am Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
Well, X is a gothic shoujo anime Razz

... it's by CLAMP too

Ahem, X isn't Shoujo, despite the design of characters. There's no special transformation, there isn't any girl empowerment, there isn't specifically girl oriented merchandise. There is an unfinished manga series, a gritty film adaptation and a run-of-the-mill TV adaptation/rework. Hardly qualifies as a girl's property. (that isn't to say there aren't people interested in it, I'm just saying that they aren't the primary target audience).
DKL

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:21 am Reply with quote
actually, it is a shoujo

even VIZ thinks so *see spine of X manga*

hell, even most shoujo fans think so

not ALL shoujo is fluffy and dandy... and your thinking of MAHOU SHOUJO

wow, you like the film better than the TV series? I thought that Kawajiri PWNED Rintaro when it came to this... mainly since Rintaro didn't have a lot to work with
kyra

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Have you ever been to Asia? Most of my asian female friends are short (petite), smaller chested, don't have large eyes and aspire to be tall, with big boobs and giant double-lidded lashed eyes. That's exactly what they depict in the animes Smile
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 10:17 pm Reply with quote
I find it strange that Gainax kicked off with Oneamise, which has very everyday looking characters. Along with no mecha, not much action, muted colors, and a rather classy Sakamoto BGM, it's suprising that they have gone 180 degrees the other direction with most of their projects since. It's hard to believe that FLCL is from the same studio.
DKL

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:12 pm Reply with quote
or...

EVA vs. KARE KANO... hell, the even had the same directors... but didn't ANNO eventually quit KARE KANO?
.Sy

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Well, why are movie stars picked out to be good-looking?

A the majority of the characters do seem light skinned. In American manga, there's usually an African American charcter. Might it be because we are more multicultural than Japan? I don't live in Japan, so I can only guess.
DKL

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 8:58 pm Reply with quote
well... there ARE black people in Japan, but then not a lot I guess
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, America is a melting pot. If you have a show or something that takes place in America, and you don't at least acknoledge that not everybody is white, then you're not presenting a realistic view of the facts.

Japan, by contrast, has very very few black people, probably less per capita than American has albinos, so there's really nothign wrong with animes having few to no black people, especially in shows like Naruto, which don't even take place on Earth as we know it.

Further, when black people ARE writen into anime, they tned to be rather poorly writen and stereotypical, because it's highly unlikely that the writer has ever even met an actual black person, so the character would be based entirely off of western movies and rap videos.

Of course there are some exceptions to this, but in general it's true, and a perfectly good reason why most anime characters are light skinned.

As to why they appear more Caucasian than Asian? That's just a stylistic choice, made because the original anime gurus were impressed with Disney's work, and mimicked that style, so the anime "style" tends to be round/square eyed rather than elyptical. Curiously enough though, many Chinese characters ARE depicted as having elyptical eyes (compared to Japanese characters in the same animes). I'm sure there's something psychological at work there.
Nani?

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 1:03 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:

That's just a stylistic choice, made because the original anime gurus were impressed with Disney's work, and mimicked that style, so the anime "style" tends to be round/square eyed rather than elyptical. Curiously enough though, many Chinese characters ARE depicted as having elyptical eyes (compared to Japanese characters in the same animes). I'm sure there's something psychological at work there.

I wonder if this reflects reality to a certain extent. When I see Japanese many seem lighter skinned and a little wider eyed the Koreans or Chinese. This seems more pronounced the father north on Honshu you go. I've heard and suspect it's true that it has to do with more Emishi/Jomon/Ainu ancestry (though not culturally) in the population.

All the Best,

Nani?
aznrocker23

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 12:33 pm Reply with quote
lovehinafan1 wrote:
Sharpe wrote:
One of the reasons I enjoy watching anime is because it inspires me to stay in shape. This is due mainly to the aesthetically pleasing visuals. Why is it that so many anime characters are like this?

Yet again i thought I was the only one.... everytime i see those girls always so skinney and fit, it keeps me motivated. I guess thats why I'm always the first girl to finish in the fitness tests for the mile races. Smile

That is so true. All the girls in anime are fit. Don't you wish you look as good as them? (That's the question i ask myself.) And you especilly want to look good for all the guys out there. Wink Very Happy
daminmancejin

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 9:00 pm Reply with quote
i guess they want the world to be good looking i guess.

i like it cause of the sexy ladys
dukeofme

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 9:12 pm Reply with quote
well i hope you know that half the stuff anime characters do in the anime,real people can't do in real life.but its very nice that your inspiration to keep in shape are the animation you watch everyday and i hope you continue to keep up the fitness,and as for anime characters looking "good" - i'll let you in on a lil' secret : the makers draw or animate them that way because they too like to watch and enjoy their creations for the sole factor that they look and act the way they want them to Wink

just a little insite
kanau - holly
The Frankman

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Yeah, America is a melting pot. If you have a show or something that takes place in America, and you don't at least acknoledge that not everybody is white, then you're not presenting a realistic view of the facts.

Japan, by contrast, has very very few black people, probably less per capita than American has albinos, so there's really nothign wrong with animes having few to no black people, especially in shows like Naruto, which don't even take place on Earth as we know it.

Further, when black people ARE writen into anime, they tned to be rather poorly writen and stereotypical, because it's highly unlikely that the writer has ever even met an actual black person, so the character would be based entirely off of western movies and rap videos.

Of course there are some exceptions to this, but in general it's true, and a perfectly good reason why most anime characters are light skinned.

It may be true but it's still a copout. I'm sort of writing a mini-rant on that very topic.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:40 pm Reply with quote
What, you think that anime should have a misproportionately high number of black people for no other reason than because America has a whole bunch more of them than Japan? That's just wierd.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4