• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim to Split from Cartoon Network

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:44 pm Reply with quote
coolerimmortal wrote:
As a children's TV station which children are likely to watch, TV-MA shows (aka: uncut Paranoia Agent) are not allowed. Now that AS has its own classification, they are free to air anything they want with no edits.

True, but AS is not a children's TV station. It's a block on a network that features soley animation. The reason CN is such a kid's station is because almost all animation in the US is made for kids because many adults don't see animation as a valid art/media form. There will likely be no change to what AS cuts, unless you count the progressively lighter animation that has been continuing throughout Adult Swim's life.
AkiChan12

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I have a few questions ><;;

1. Will adult swim Have it's own channel(><;;
2. If it doesnt have its own channel, will it still be on at the same time as usual, like will the schedule ( 11-4 sunday-thursday & saturday) change??
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:20 pm Reply with quote
coolerimmortal wrote:
If you think about it, this is truly great news. In case you didn't know, the only reason AS can't run uncut anime is that according to the FCC, AS is a Cartoon Network program. As a children's TV station which children are likely to watch, TV-MA shows (aka: uncut Paranoia Agent) are not allowed. Now that AS has its own classification, they are free to air anything they want with no edits.

Actually, that's incorrect, as has already been said. Being a cable channel, CN is not subject to the FCC broadcast standards. As has also been already said, CN and AS edit their programs basically based and what they and Turner deem would cause to many complaints from enraged parents and the subsequent loss of advertising and sponsors. Even though AS is now considered a separate entity, it is still a part of Turner, and therefor still subject to whatever standards they see fit to adpot.

AkiChan12 wrote:
I have a few questions ><;;

1. Will adult swim Have it's own channel(><;;
2. If it doesnt have its own channel, will it still be on at the same time as usual, like will the schedule ( 11-4 sunday-thursday & saturday) change??

No to one (for now at least), and yes to two.
emory

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:14 am Reply with quote
^^^ sorry. didn't realize there was a page 3 -_-
coolerimmortal wrote:
If you think about it, this is truly great news. In case you didn't know, the only reason AS can't run uncut anime is that according to the FCC, AS is a Cartoon Network program. As a children's TV station which children are likely to watch, TV-MA shows (aka: uncut Paranoia Agent) are not allowed. Now that AS has its own classification, they are free to air anything they want with no edits.
That's not entirely accurate. AS can't run uncut programming because of what Turner S&P or advertisers say. For whatever reason, probably because of sharing a network with kids programs, AS can't run TV-MA programming, or ads for M-rated or R-rated movies, or alcohol ads. This is probably just an internal decision by CN's general manager.

From the looks of things, AS is trying to grab late Friday nights too. They probably will.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:35 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
tempest wrote:
Before anyone asks, it's just a stunt to manipulate the ratings in order to make the network look more impressive to people who look at the ratings, and when CN/AS quotes the ratings in press releases and advertising solicitations.

I forgot to mention one thing. This move could also be seen as a precursor to giving [AS] it's own 24 hour station. Personally, I don't think this is the case. The reason has nothing to do with whether or not they can fill 24 hours, they can always get more content. It's because [AS] is geared towards young adults, and not a lot of young adults are watching TV during daytime hours.

Hold up a minute. There is certainly a market for adult cartoons during the evening hours, rather than the inconveniently late hours that AS currently airs. During the day the demand might not be so great, but that's true of anything in that time slot. CN's ratings aren't all that hot during the day when kids are at school anyway.

emory wrote:
That's not entirely accurate. AS can't run uncut programming because of what Turner S&P or advertisers say. For whatever reason, probably because of sharing a network with kids programs, AS can't run TV-MA programming, or ads for M-rated or R-rated movies, or alcohol ads. This is probably just an internal decision by CN's general manager.

Have you seen the latest AS ads which feature a competely nude woman? The restraints on the block are pretty much history and will only become more lenient in the future.
arxane

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:48 am Reply with quote
I don't exactly see how this news related to AS possibly getting its own channel, or on AS's editing standards. As far as I can tell, all this does is split up the Nielsen ratings between Adult Swim and the rest of the channel so that AS can give a better report to potential advertisers who are understandably weary of advertising on a kid-dominated network. Maybe this can be "indirectly" related to looser restrictions on content (as in it's part of an overall process), but I don't see a "direct" connection.

ShellBullet wrote:
Have you seen the latest AS ads which feature a competely nude woman? The restraints on the block are pretty much history and will only become more lenient in the future.

Really? If anyone has a screenshot of that, I'd be very much obliged.
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:56 am Reply with quote
arxane wrote:

ShellBullet wrote:

Yes. It will be good to study.

For science.

And pretty much what arxane said - this isn't about programming or anything, its so Turner can play the Nielsen numbers to their advantage when courting potential advertisers.

I don't see their content and S&P changing anytime soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:14 am Reply with quote
arxane wrote:
ShellBullet wrote:

She's basically just sitting there, and all you really see are her legs. Then one pan down her torso with her arms covering her "dirty pillows."

It honestly seems less risque than an average Sealab episode.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Swordfish_II wrote:
arxane wrote:
ShellBullet wrote:

She's basically just sitting there, and all you really see are her legs. Then one pan down her torso with her arms covering her "dirty pillows."

It honestly seems less risque than an average Sealab episode.

Yes, that's the one. It may not be particuarly revealing, but it's very suggestive, not exactly something you would see on saturday morning cartoons, eh? And let's not forget the go-go dancer commercials (which I find strangly appealing Anime smile + sweatdrop ).
Sango chan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:19 pm Reply with quote
So basically it's still going to be on the same Channel. that's good. Cause I have direct TV satellite. I was going to be annoyed if they made it it's own station cause it might of been just on Cable. I would of been extremally pissed if I didn't get to see Inuyasha. and also the airring time will be the same to? I hope so cause then I would have to findout so I can be prepared to tape the new episodes and the old repeats that I need to. it would be nice if they do play Inuyasha like it's supose to be, Uncut. I mean I didn't see anything bad, well except in episode 16 when Kagome was fully naked when she hit Inuyasha over the head with a boulder. anyway i just want to be sure cause I am really confused with this.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:33 pm Reply with quote
I agree with tempest. This looks more like a test bed to see if it can run on it's own by it's own ratings number. Be interesting to see what was bolstering what. Wink
poweranime

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm all for Adult Swim being its own station... maybe in the day time they could run 80's toons that we all miss out on...

He-Man, Centurions, GI Joe, Smurfs, Dragon's Lair...

and then the real features:

BC Rock and Twice Upon A Time

* I'm probably showing my age here Anime smile;
liljohnm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Laughing Is the new network going to be on COMCAST In Los Angeles Laughing

Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:37 pm Reply with quote
liljohnm wrote:
Laughing Is the new network going to be on COMCAST In Los Angeles Laughing

I dunno, try reading the article & thread and you tell me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sango chan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:44 pm Reply with quote
poweranime wrote:
I'm all for Adult Swim being its own station... maybe in the day time they could run 80's toons that we all miss out on...

He-Man, Centurions, GI Joe, Smurfs, Dragon's Lair...

and then the real features:

BC Rock and Twice Upon A Time

* I'm probably showing my age here Anime smile;

You forgot the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. the 1987 ones rule. I want them to bring it back cause I didn't get to see much cause I was 3 when it came out. lol, it when on for ten years. the 2003 ones suck. they really don't have much of a plot line and they made the turtles look like they were on starerods.( yes I can't spell. lol.) but any way they're ending the new ones in like 7 weeks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4