• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most unexpected 2009 anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:31 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
K-On was hardly unexpected given how hyped up every Kyoani BS series is. They could do almost anything and people would still prostrate before it (actually Endless Eight almost proves they CAN do anything and people will worship them as prophets of anime). Frankly there is no such thing as a surprise disappointment from them since everything I have ever seen from them has failed to live up to even a miniscule fraction of the hype and worship it receives from new age anime fans. They practically need their own scale and seperate considerations from other studios anime's given how bloated, inflated and seperated from reality their reputation has become in the past few years.

I guess Munto is the exception than lol, I'll never consider KyoAni to be anywhere near as good as some other studios until they produce something of note that is an original concept... lol Munto. It's kinda sad that A-1 Pictures are going to put out 3 original concept tv series this year as well as an original concept Feature Movie and all KyoAni have is Munto.

Quote:
Honestly though I can't think of any series in 2009 that was unexpected. Maybe Bakemonogatari since nobody would have called it as a hit before it started airing.

Only people really following Bakemonogatari pre-airing were people who were Shinbo fans (like Shiroth) and others interested in future light novel adaptions and Nisio. IIRC there wasn't really any trailer of sorts (the trailer out for months was just stills of text and like 2 secs of animation) until a week or so before it aired. And I doubt anyone expected it to be so well received on English forums as well as being one of the best selling tv series in Japan ever.

I doubt any other Nisio show ever goes under the rader ever again. Even if Katanagatari blows people will point to it being Nisio's worst received series.. with his best in Zaregoto not even confirmed for anime yet.

Oh right Munto yes....I keep forgetting about that one time after time. Must have really left a faint impression eh?

As for A-1 well...they are lead by the sole person (an unsurprising defector) from Kyoani who I thought had shown any real defining artistic talent and vision in Yutaka Yamamoto (a person who's outspokeness has won me over more and more with each passing instance) so it doesn't surprise me that under him they might seek to at least try and build a reputation on some original series. It's definitely the hard path these days, but success would lead to a hell of a lot more prestige than taking the easy path to success through popular moe franchise adaptation after moe franchise adaptation like Kyoani and some other wayward studios have IMO. At least in my book that is.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:32 am Reply with quote
Yutaka Yamamoto founded ordet, they just worked with A-1 on Kannagi (probably will again for its eventual sequel once the manga resumes), the Tonari no 801-chan R OP and they might do the same with Blackrock Shooter. But yes I like Yutaka Yamamoto's outspokenness, rarely get to see people say what they actually think these days. He's sorta like the anime industry version of Kanye West, just without the brain fades.
TJR

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:45 pm Reply with quote
A-1 = Aniplex = Sony

They're the instrument of one of the large anime financiers - one that has been smoking hot lately with Bakemonogatari, Kara no Kyoukai, Kuroshitsuji, Darker than Black, etc.

You can't compare them to an independent studio. Those original projects are entirely corporate initiatives (Aniplex) and not something studio staff could've initiated on their own.
Westlo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:15 am Reply with quote
TJR wrote:
A-1 = Aniplex = Sony

They're the instrument of one of the large anime financiers - one that has been smoking hot lately with Bakemonogatari, Kara no Kyoukai, Kuroshitsuji, Darker than Black, etc.

You can't compare them to an independent studio. Those original projects are entirely corporate initiatives (Aniplex) and not something studio staff could've initiated on their own.

I suggest you look up who Kadokawa are, like Aniplex they fund shows, KyoAni are just an animation studio like A-1. The difference is A-1 are a part of Aniplex whereas KyoAni are just hired by Kadokawa, for say the Haruhi series.
TJR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
TJR wrote:
A-1 = Aniplex = Sony

I suggest you look up who Kadokawa are, like Aniplex they fund shows, KyoAni are just an animation studio like A-1. The difference is A-1 are a part of Aniplex whereas KyoAni are just hired by Kadokawa, for say the Haruhi series.

My point is that in terms of original work, you can't compare the two. Aniplex has an interest in developing new properties, so they assigned the projects to their subsidiary (which keeps production in-house). This isn't a matter of A-1 being more creative and more willing to take on original productions since the jobs were mandated by the parent company. They weren't A-1 (who ultimately have no control over their destiny) initiatives in the first place.

Independent studios are in completely different positions. More likely than not, the proposal for an original project would go the other way, with the studio pitching a series to prospective financiers and likely footing a good portion of the bill if they want adequate freedom/ownership.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I found a couple of anime to be unexpectedly good and bad in 2009. Starting with the good side Kemono no Souja Erin (Beast Player Erin) really turned out to be just up my alley by being a slice-of-life, coming-of-age story with an actual plot lurking in the background. Then again, I love background characters more than the protags usually and, in most anime, Erin would have been a key minor character in the whole political scheme. But instead she became the main character in her own story and we learned all the reasoning behind her actions, no wonder it was a 50 episode anime!
Another one that caught me off guard was Armed Librarians: The Book of Bantorra. Partially since I didn't like the first episode and couldn't see why so many other people were raving about it, I was interested enough to keep watching and see what became of it. And it's really grown on me. The little arc plots are coming together into one big myth arc (also helps that I know someone who has read the novels and can provide extra explanation on some of the details) and I'm really interested to see where the whole thing ends up (even though it will be an anime original ending).
As for the bad, the aforementioned Munto turned out to be pretty horrible. First three episodes (aka first OVA), "Hey, this is kinda a cool fantasy story with more realistic reactions to learning you're some sort of savior for a fantasy world." Second set of episodes (second OVA), "WOW, the art looks pretty good here! And the plot, ehhh, not as good but it still works." Third set of episodes (the new movie), ".....WTH was with that ending? I'm confused, did we just get trolled?!?!"
In fact, I can't remember much beyond that so that speaks for itself as well. Just why KyoAni, why?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3