• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Which mechs do you feel have least/most advanced tech?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:05 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa, I don't know if anyone ever told you this but spoiler[the Eva units are not robotic, they are organic with internal nerve control systems and external mechanical muscles, armour and restraint systems.]

As for the Eva's combat abilities, they are pretty high for a "Mecha". Virtually impenetrable field for defence and offence, impressive speed and manoeuvrability, incredible strength, and the ability to regenerate. And when they get angry, spoiler[they discard the need for their umbilical cord.] So yeah, "pretty high".
RedLeader

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:19 am Reply with quote
Well, it's not really that the Evas are all that high tech in their movements and attack abilities... When you stop to consider that Evas are spoiler[cloned/engineered from Angel DNA, their speed, power, and defense cabilities are simply a gift of their heritage.] What IS incredibly high tech about them is spoiler[the equipment's ability to restrain and control the power of a divine organism for as long as they were able to. Honestly, all an Eva is, is a house broken Angel with a saddle on it. :p That occasionally gets rabbis. Anime hyper)]
RHachicho

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Hmm how do you actually define technologicalical advancement though ? I would be willing to entertain the suggestion that a genetically engineered weapon is still a weapon. A biological entity is still after all a machine albeit designed using very different principles and methods to a standard mecha. It is the precise nature of the chibi lightning storm in our heads that define us as "living" and "sentient" I believe not the nature of our brains maintenence arrangements. From that perspective the Eva's seem very much mechanical although I fully admit to not having watched to the end of Eva so there may be things I am unaware of.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:19 pm Reply with quote
RHachicho wrote:
From that perspective the Eva's seem very much mechanical although I fully admit to not having watched to the end of Eva so there may be things I am unaware of.

Well, one of the units in The End of Evangelion ends up being stripped bare of its armour in a notably gruesome sequence. Whether the spoiler[divine] mechanisms by which the Eva units themselves operate are in any way akin to those of an electronic robot is somewhat debatable. Of course, to begin to address this would steer the topic of conversation away from that of Mecha entirely, for one can direct such an inquiry into beings far more commonplace than the Eva units.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:01 pm Reply with quote
The Evas are spoiler[organic, that much is clear. Unit 01 proved so in episode eighteen or nineteen (I forget which).]

Right, now that that is cleared up, we can move back on to actual Mecha.
Cloe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:45 am Reply with quote
The Eva units have a perfectly relevant place in this discussion and are considered on-topic for the purposes of this thread.

Right, now that that is cleared up, we can move back on to the discussion at hand.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:49 am Reply with quote
Reading through all the posts, I thought I might join in on this thread. I like to have a pseudo-reality train of thought. What if these machines of as a result of advanced engineering and technologies existed in today's world?

Therefore, I give you the ARX-7 Arbalest featured in Full Metal Panic! and Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid. The pilot of this engineering marvel is spoiler[Sousuke Sagara].

The Arbalest is spoiler[Mithril's only Arm Slave equipped with the mysterious and unknown yet powerful Lambda Driver. How the Lambda Driver works is unknown even to Mithril. It has been ascertained that it is powerful enough to defy the laws of physics. Sousuke has determined through battles with his arch-nemesis, Gauron, that it can even translate thoughts into physical force under the right conditions].

All Arm Slaves that are in Mithril's possession are years ahead of the world's current generation of Arm Slaves as they are powered through various spoiler[Black Technologies such as ECS (Electronic Conceal System), Muscle Package, and Palladium Reactors].

In the light novels, spoiler[the Arbalest in destroyed in combat against an more advanced Arm Slave. However, its Lambda Driver is recovered and the Arbalest is reconstructed into the ARX-8 Laevatein. This machine is even more powerful than its predecessor but has a reduced operating time].
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:18 am Reply with quote
What about Vandread's mecha? That's some pretty impressive equipment.

They're the products of a sentient computer-system which advances itself from calculations it makes based on pilot, situation, and tech that is within its grasp. The Pegasus constantly upgrades itself with almost complete freedom from human mechanics. The mechs and dreads were selected by its own choice and it makes changes based on both the strengths and weaknesses of the craft as well as the particular pilot of the craft. In the series, spoiler[the crafts are eventually able to enter a planet's atmosphere and combine with other crafts to form new weapons of mass kick assery. The super-vandread for instance is able to stop a blast capable of destroying a planet, obliterate ships that are a hundred times larger than it, and stop a machine that's capable of making an artificial black hole that can destroy a large portion of the galaxy. ] Also, they can repair themselves, and even fight off viral system attacks. A balance between pilot and tech capabilities certainly make them into near perfect weapons. And the explanations given as well as the proportional consistencies of them at least makes much more sense than those of Gurren Lagaan.
spikespiegel98

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:27 am Reply with quote
yea vandreds mechs were really powerful, reminded me of gunbuster
timesteel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:30 am Reply with quote
i think just about any gundam is advanced espically the new spoiler[00 Quan[T] from 00 movie] also the 9th generation knightmare frames from code geass are pretty sweet, and EVAs are kinda hard to classify but since they are piloted i think they would be considered mechs.
RedLeader

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:09 am Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
And the explanations given as well as the proportional consistencies of them at least makes much more sense than those of Gurren Lagaan.

And that's because as has been mentioned before, Gurren Lagaan is a Super Robot. Super Robots don't make sense, they just are. There's no point in trying to cough up pseudo scientific reasoning for how they work, you're just supposed to know that robot x is powered by element y, nod your head in agreement, and watch it kick ass ad infinitum. :p How does it work? It's science too complicated for you to know! Just let Professor Fill-in-the-Blank worry about it and pay attention to the violence while he creates the next non-sensical upgrade for the next half of the show! Anime hyper
satsuyumi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:28 am Reply with quote
Where exactly would you put the mechas from Code Geass? I admit they are of simple deisgn and make but as the series progresses the bcome extreamly complicated.
Dolza

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:07 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
Super Robots don't make sense, they just are.

Amen!
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Dolza wrote:
the Rancorous wrote:
Super Robots don't make sense, they just are.

Amen!

That was actually said by RedLeader. But, yeah, that doesn't apply to super robots only, it pretty much goes to most anime out there. To want "sense" out of anime just makes me lemonade laugh to no end.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:41 am Reply with quote
Aye I guess it's the difference between high fantasy and low fantasy though. I would catagorise the Code Geass ones as being realistic mecha as despite theyre rather futuristic design the only technological deus ex they have is their sakuradite power core. Which is an established power source in the Anime. The rest of their weaponry is advanced yes but act's according to "best guess" physics.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4