• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How do you look for new series to watch?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Natsuki-MaiHime

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I gathered information from my friend and when I searching around on website for pictures, I also see a pic gather information about new anime which is going to release soon (to me especially 4chan Rolling Eyes)
My friend give me a video link that also like a promo for all new series in months, I watched it, see trailer and remember of of those anime which is I'm interesting in trailer. Then when the day the 1st episode of new series release is out, I'll try to watch few episodes; If it's suit my taste I'll continue download and watching it; If not or not really I'll watch it online later after finishing my recent interesting in those anime. I'll also gather information here (animenewsnetwork) or on wiki
RedLeader

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:10 am Reply with quote
I used to try to keep my ears open for new shows but these days there's hardly ANYTHING coming out that actually makes me excited anymore so I really don't pay that much attention anymore. My tastes are pretty specific - Science Fiction, namely space operas and real/super robot shows, which most people seem to shun these days so there's hardly ever anything new I'm interested in. :p But if I look, it comes down to these:

The Internet - Mainly ANN, though I might run into something juicy elsewhere.

In Stores - Sometimes, I'll find a surprise at Best Buy but not often.

From Established Gurus or Series - Leiji Matsumoto, Masamune Shirow, Shoji Kawamori, Yoshiyuki Tomino, Go Nagai, Gainax, when one of these guys makes something new or something new comes out for one of their series or other some other series I like, it's a godsend for me!

On TV - If it's on TV, it's a lot easier for me to determine if there's a new show I'll want to watch. Including shows I may not have otherwise tried out. This also goes for shows being streamed online.

Super Robot Wars - Though they might not be all golden, but if a show appears in this series, it might be worth trying out.

That's generally how it works for me, but these days, it's enough to try and complete certain collections or replace my VHS tapes with DVDs so I don't pay too much attention. Still... It's pretty depressing walking into a store and finding that there's absolutely NOTHING I want from it... -_-;;;
belindabird
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:53 am Reply with quote
After years of waiting for recommendations from others and random poking around the internet for info, I took it upon myself to try out at least an episode of all the new series that come out each season. At first I posted my impressions on my personal blog, but a friend wanted the opportunity to design a website, so now I have an anime review site that keeps me focused on trying out new anime and writing about it on a regular basis.

I've found tons of great series this way. I have pretty particular tastes (I like a wide variety of genres, but prefer series that have unique qualities and top-notch writing and good animation) and I imagine I would have missed a lot of the series that are now my favorites if I hadn't taken it upon myself to go looking.

As much as people seem to diss on the ANN reviews, I find them useful whether I agree with them or not, just because they offer another perspective and are more well-written than many I've been able to find elsewhere. They also cover a wide variety of anime and manga, which is nice.
animeboy12

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I can't stand ann reviews or for that matter anime reviews in general. As for how I find new series in watch it's ussually a mix but I ussually go with word of mouth and which ever preview looks cool
ninjapet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Reviews: Mainly from this site I might add

Pre-views of a English release
: Most of the time I don't watch something till it gets a english release or is planed to get one.

People telling me:
Mainly the internet and people telling people what to watch
ArmoredNerd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:00 pm Reply with quote
I usually go on blogs that review anime series and check on some of the shows I've never heard of or just the new series coming out. I agree that the reviews on ANN are kinda biased and it seems they usually have only bad things to say about new shows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3